Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Taxable Expense Query…
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Need to get a new iPhone as my old ones zonked. I use it for work for a specific SIP application…so I’d be wanting to claim it as an expense. Does anyone know if you can add an expense from French Apple for example if I was to buy one whilst out here? Or should I buy from Apple UK?

Thanks

jota180
    Free Member

Are you on PAYE?

alexxx
    Free Member

Self Employed

jota180
    Free Member

Just book it then

alexxx
    Free Member

but is it ok having an expense in euros from france?

jota180
    Free Member

Of course, what if you had to buy fuel, hotels etc away from the UK?

alexxx
    Free Member

Cool thanks for clarifying.. I’ve not claimed foreign expenses before.

Do you know how long you can be out of the country as a self employed business in the UK is it the majority of the year in the UK ie.. 6 months 1 day?

jota180
    Free Member

No idea, sorry
    I’m never away more than 2 or 3 weeks

Flaperon

There’s no restriction on time spent abroad as long as you pay tax somewhere.

nickjb
    Free Member

You should only really claim for things used ‘wholly and exclusively’ for the business. If it is for personal use as well then you might be able to claim a proportion but AIUI you will be on shaky ground as you can’t accurately split the use. This explains it pretty well http://taxaid.org.uk/situations/self-employed/expenses-with-private-and-business-use. In reality if you claim for the whole thing you will probably get away with it but that’s your call 🙂

For claims in euros its good to get a copy of something with the exchange rate on. It should be on your bank statement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Taxable Expense Query…’ is closed to new replies.