Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tax rebate question.
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Afternoon all
    I received a letter from HMRC this morning advising me that a repayment has been made to my bank account, because of a claim I’d made.
    I have’nt made a claim though. Would they class me filing my tax return as a claim if I’d overpaid, and that’s why they’ve sent me a rebate?
    I’ve tried phoning them, but its murder this time of year to get through.
    Last year I did pass the threshhold for paying on account and for Class 4 national insurance, so I paid a lot (for me, I only work part time ) to them.
    This year I didnt earn anywhere near the same as last year, so would they just automatically refund me and word it as if I’d claimed?

pdw
    Free Member

Did you fill in the details of where you want any refund sending to on your tax return? If so, the refund should happen automatically once you’ve submitted your return.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks pdw, yes I did do that. I wondered if it was all automatic, its just the way they worded the refund letter made me wonder.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuttler

Refund. Lucky git. I’m making up Amazon’s shortfall.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Aye, I must admit it was a pleasant surprise 🙂 And just to upset you further, I’ve been onto the HMRC website to check my account, and its telling me I’m still overpaid by £800 and I can claim that back if I want to 😀
    On a serious note though, I would have thought they would have paid it all back if they was going to pay any back. I think I’ll send them a message just to check.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It notified me at the end of my tax return that I was due a rebate, they then sent me the letter and put it straight into my account. Is there not any history available in your online account to tell you what’s been paid or due?

footflaps

I received a letter from HMRC this morning advising me that a repayment has been made to my bank account, because of a claim I’d made.

Sure it really was HMRC? Lots of spam emails use this for Phising, to get your bank details.

Refunds under £1000 are normally corrected via your tax code rather than a payment.

wallop

I always get cheques for refunds – anything over about £100.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Footflaps, it was a proper letter through the door not an email, not asking me for details, just informing me its been paid back. And it is back in my bank, so all above board.
    I just have to decide what I dont need now, so I can blow the lot 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tax rebate question.’ is closed to new replies.