Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Tax-Payers Alliance trying to overturn 5p bag 'tax' in wales
  • donsimon
    Free Member

No. It means the claim that the private sector is inherently more efficient than the public sector, or vice-versa, is wrong.

I thought the general claim was more a question of the freedom of choice of the customer as opposed to being shackled to the public sector. That’s my point of view anyway.
    I generally see the public sector boasting about how efficient they are and not having any need to become anymore efiicient, but hey ho..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol when the private sector wastes money the investors/owners loose out
    when the public sector wastes money the magic pot of money pays up….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But on the ethics of dirigiste policy?…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t have that choice from the public sector, who will take money from my pocket by force of law regardless of whether I use those services.

You are rright far better to have a monopoly that wont exploit its market dominance and will just deliver efficient services for us rather than maximimum profits for its shareholders…See Microsoft for examples of good practice in our lifetime and no one could argue against how just bloody brilliant they are in all respects.

Would you like more/ Asbestos indistry, tobacco?

My point is not to say that the public sector is ALWAYS brilliant nor the Private Sector allways bad
    you just hate anything nor privately owned becausue you love the market.

However remove profit and everything is cheaper so it cannot be the ceapest

thought the general claim was more a question of the freedom of choice of the customer as opposed to being shackled to the public sector.

Shackled – nice use of emitive language.

Would having two railways line or two motorways be better?
    Competition can also be rather waseteful of scarc resources and markets are not always best as they often lead to monopolies and ineffieciencies whatever free marketers say.

donsimon
    Free Member

However remove profit and everything is cheaper so it cannot be the ceapest

I don’t think its got anything to do with cheapest, it’s about using resources efficiently. Private sector worked this out years ago. 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Competition can also be rather waseteful of scarc resources and markets are not always best as they often lead to monopolies and ineffieciencies whatever free marketers say.

Like the way mobile phone and internet access has become progressivley slower due to the limited hardwar resources available, and more expensive as the huge companies that were dominant ten years ago like AOL have exercised their monopolies?

kimbers

the TPA are a blatant torry front

I cant deny that their goal of transparency and efficiency in government is laudable they are hypocritical (claiming tax relief on their own donations!) and in this case wrong

Id like to see a 10p bag tax introduced accross the UK

sas
    Free Member

Do you think a 10p per STW post tax would lead to an increase in the quality of debate?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow Zulu you chose internet providers rather than say Microsoft or the examples I gave …well done cherry picking you 🙄

Now could you explain how multiple motorways and train lines is a better thing and microsoft has not abused it position or would you like to just ignore the point some more and cite examples where it works?..
    I have no issue* saying that in certain areas it can improve things [ competition is not necessarily bad anymore than the public sector is always great] You however can see no fault in the market even when you ignore the examples and cherry pick to prove your polemic.

SLOW HAND CLAP

Discussing markets with you is pointless your extermist views are well known.

* ok I might but yes the markets if regulated can do some good but not always.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So what is the desired outcome – less use of plastic bags. Most people would support the goal, I guess.

The pro’s of gov imposed tax – winners: charities; environment. Losers: SMEs facing cost of admin (I am assuming)
    Private sector alternative – provide financial incentives * for customers to bring their own bags (Tesco’s I believe). Winners: the environment; SMEs; companies; consumers. Losers: charities (directly).

A few swings and roundabouts. But the introduction of 5p charge/tax etc has lead to positive behaviour and then the Tesco solution seems a positive development on the idea that counters the cost/admin for SMEs. Isn’t that the best way forward? Dont know the nitty-gritty, so that is a genuine question.

Funny that M&S London seem to have dropped charge but M&S Midlands havent?

* as opposed to tax and collection/admin costs

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Tax-Payers Alliance trying to overturn 5p bag 'tax' in wales’ is closed to new replies.