Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tassimo – worth it or not?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve got a code for a Tassimo coffee machine from Costa for £30. I also get £20 of Tdiscs free when I spend £25 on Tdiscs.

Are these machines any good?

Anywhere to get the discs from cheap?

It looks like about a quid per cup, which I think is a bit steep for a coffee at home!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

get a proper coffee machine & a grinder. Whatever coffee you want how you like it at less than £1/cup.

Took me 20mins and google to make a good latte and about 3mins to get a good espresso.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why become dependent on a tied-in source of supplies for a product? (which is how they make their money) There are other ways to make coffee.

mintsauce5
    Free Member

I’ve got a tasimo t40 , i like the coffee roughly £3.50-£4 for ten drinks , these days I just buy the espresso and Americano plus I’ve got a nespresso milk frother , can then use whatever kind of coffee you want with frothee milk

sharkbait
    Free Member

My sisters got one and she wants to buy a Nespresso – I think that’s all I need to say really.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers, pretty much confirms my view that it’s a way to sell more Tdiscs.

Bit like printer inks innit!

I’ll stick with my Nescafe 🙂

wwaswas

We have a Tassimo and a Nespresso (please don’t ask why, it’s too complicated).

Everyone agrees the Nespresso is better.

My wife insists on using the Tassimo (yes I know but at least I get the Nespresso to myself).

Only advantage of the Tassimo is that it’ll do tea and hot chocolate if you don’t also own a kettle.

[edit]

I’ll stick with my Nescafe

Tassimo is better than that!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only advantage of the Tassimo is that it’ll do tea and hot chocolate if you don’t also own a kettle.

Tea from a contraption…….. 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nespresso

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bit like printer inks innit!

having had a coffee from my sisters machine I’d say that’s more accurate than you realise.

andytherocketeer

At least you can just buy Tassimo from a shop, when passing by the coffee/tea aisle, without having to go to a special shop or having your entire consumption profiled.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m in a bit of a quandry with this one. I have a nespresso and do like the coffee, but by gum it is expensive. We go through about £60 of caps every other month, that’s getting on for £360 a year.

So in the longer run, would it be cheaper to get something like a Gaggia Classic and make my own (need a small machine for the kitchen) or would I just be weeing my money up a wall?

I do have an ‘outpresso’ too but that’s for outdoors and I doubt will get to 15 bar.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

I got my Tassimo delivered yesterday after getting my Costa code discount – figured that if I don’t like it or it starts costing too much (not planning on using it all the time as replacement to existing coffee and tea) then I will sell it on ebay where I should (hopefully) get my money back

wwaswas

AdamW – look at the price for what people on here call ‘proper’ coffee by the bag and work out how much per cup it’ll cost you. When I did that it seemed to be not far off the 30p that I pay for Nespresso pods.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re not tied in to one supplier if you get Tassimo – there are plenty afaik.

Don’t be persuaded by snobs to get a ‘proper’ espresso machine. They are a lot more faff and you have to want to do it. I do, but I can see the appeal of tassimo. I know many people who can’t be bothered with the faff and have the real proper authentic genuine REAL MAN’s machine sat on the worktop taking up space most of the time.

It’s a lot better than instant whichever way you do it, as long as you don’t use milk pods. Real milk is pretty easy to come by and can be heated in a microwave easily enough.

I spend about £4-5 a bag on coffee beans, lasts maybe 10 days brewing four shots a day.

GrahamS

I quite liked my Tassimo. One of the good things about it is that the pods have barcodes on them which tell the machine the temperature, volume and pressure to use for that pod – which means you get very consistent coffees from it.

The BIG disadvantage that I found is they really don’t like limescale! Mine got crudded up, leaked water from inside then started tripping circuit breakers. Googling suggests this is a common problem with them. We’re not even in a particularly hard water area.

I now have a Dolce Gusto machine, which takes huge pods and is more “manual”, but produces a fairly decent coffee (despite being made by Nescafe), seems to cope with our water, and most importantly goes with our kitchen decor. 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t know about Tassimo, but Senseo is bloody revolting.

Anyone else tried Sainsbury’s Fairtrade Basic ground Coffee?

I stick it in a Bialetti Moka Pot and make 1/2 a pint of espresso in the morning. Mmmmmmm

andytherocketeer

but Senseo is bloody revolting

Correct!

Massive design flaw of a machine too (at least the older type, kind of round, leaning over models). Water level sensor floating magnets that float at the bottom, Lid that can jam shut, and that’s before the “coffee” that tastes like dishwater.

Broke mine in half. Physically. Just using a little extra force to get the lid open after it jammed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

selfcorrection [*moka != espresso] – but you get the idea

midlifecrashes

That’s a good price for a machine that makes very decent coffee very easily. Got one for my birthday a couple of months ago. 40p a cup for good coffee seems fine to me. The milky double pod drinks are too big though, maybe I should get a separate frother for the odd latte.

VanMan
    Free Member

I know it is a bit more expensive but have you looked at the Illy system? around the £120 mark for the machines though

munkyboy
    Free Member

Spend the money on the best coffee you can buy rather than fancy machines

I did the costa offer, the coffee is terrible (not at all like the shop stuff). Luckily I sold the machine and made a sneaky profit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tassimo – worth it or not?’ is closed to new replies.