Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tarty question- what shape rigid forks?
  • Northwind

Decided to replace the 29er (465mm) rigids on my Soda with a set of 440-ish carbon rigids, the old ones just feel too long for it. So, spoiled for choice these days but I’m a bit torn on the aesthetics side…

Short version: Tubes, or blades? Tubes are a bit boring but going on a Soda so a very classic looking bike anyway.

Long version:
    Always been happy with the Exotics. 780g for £105, for the nicer UD finish. Obvious choice.

Main alternative seems to be the Hylix ones- wee bit of varied word of mouth on these, most folks seem very happy though. Quite a bit lighter, not much more expensive. These have a more bladed look but still not blobby and weird looking.

Slightly concerned about tyre clearance in the Hylixes though- for everyday riding I use a 2.5 nevegal on the rigid (sounds mad but it’s fairly light and gives a lot of cushioning) and it seems like it might be a squeeze?

So… Any other suggestions, or advice, before i go ahead?

james
    Free Member

The on-one monocoque bladed ones not fit the bill?

Northwind

Nah, they’re probably very good in use but they’re straight out fugly!

trail_rat
    Free Member

My hylix died ……

Steerer broked – but i was not getting beat by the guy on the ex9 tht inplied i should not have passed him….

trail_rat
    Free Member

I should add- i smashed up pace rc31s in similar fashion so fitted p2 tripple butteds

Northwind

Yep, yours is one of the posts that’s putting me off the Hylixes a bit. And I tactfully decline to do business with Pace, on the grounds that they’re bawbags.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh i was outside of design parmeters and they didnt fail catastrophiclly

95% of time i behave – the other 5 i think im on my 456

Cheezpleez

You can’t go wrong with the Exotics

yunki
    Free Member

speaking purely aesthetically, 445 exotics look to my eyes like they need a Fatbike wheel.. I’m running a 2.35 schwalbe fat albert which is a a fairly big tyre but it looks like a CX tyre in the exotic fork.. I’ll be looking for a bigger tyre when I replace it..
    what does the nevegal size up like..? got any pics..? I quite like the feel on tomac nevegal

you cannot argue with cotic/exotic combination in every other respect though

Northwind

Aye, very wide forks… Think they’re going to be the winners though.

The 2.5 Nevegal is pretty much bang on 2.5… Mine is a folding singleply DTC one, which doesn’t seem to be for sale anywhere. It’s got 2.35 on teh side in one place and 2.5 in another. Kinda odd! You can buy the 2.5 folding stick-e but it’s about 300g heavier. Not sure I’d buy one of those for this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tarty question- what shape rigid forks?’ is closed to new replies.