Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tarp or small tent
  • MadBillMcMad

A bag of worms to ask this I know.

Do I get a tarp or a mini cheap tent like the 1.5kg HiGear Soloista from GoOutdoors.

& if you say Tarp – what size ?
    The small Alpkit is out of stock so is the larger Rig-7 one OTT for one person or is it in fact a better bet giving that slightly larger shelter srea.

jamiep
    Free Member

What are you using it for? Ive a tent, tarp-tent, big tarp, little tarp. Each gets used for a slightly different purpose

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve got the Soloista, bought to to replace my orange proaction hike lite to use for stealthy bikepacking. Soloista ok for low level stuff, very small like a coffin but fine to sleep and then crawl out of. Do not like fibreglass poles though, questionable longevity, I handle with kid gloves Prefer the hike lite but discontinued and need one in green. Only have a micro tarp so can’t compare to full on tarping, sorry.

scotroutes

You can get a Siltarp 1 from backpackinglight.co.uk if it’s that size of tarp you are after.

I have a tarp and a couple of lightweight tents and choose to take whichever is most suitable for terrain, weather, length of trip etc.

MadBillMcMad

wanted for bikepacking.

Never been bikepacking before & not walked/camped for a good few years.

One nighters at the moment & only occasional use.

As for size of tarp – well I don’t know. The small Rig from Alpkit sounds small but not having the experience to judge

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Head over to here http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/index.php

and ask those in the know

Nick

You’ll probably need a bivvy bag with the Tarp, unless you have a bag with a DWR coating, and synthetic fill, but even then I would always take a bivvy bag.

I find really small tents horrible, and have stayed dry in pretty heavy rain under a Golite Poncho tarp, but really I like my Terra Nova Laser Comp the best, as it means you are properly protected, but a bit more money than you are looking at.

Also, there is an art to putting up a tarp so it doesn’t keep you awake all night flapping that I don’t seem to have mastered yet!

rene59
    Free Member

Depends entirely for me on whether there will be midgies around or not.

dazzlingboy

+1 on the midges. Tarp + midges is the most miserable combination known to man.

scotroutes

Midges ain’t been a problem for me since discovering Smidge

MadBillMcMad

That Terra Nova is certainly light – not much weight penalty at all.

Love my Quasar, 25 years & still going strong.

pete68
    Free Member

Look at the aplkit ordos tent. Very light at 1.2kg. We (my wife and i) went for this over 2 bivvys and a tarp as it gives a bit more security at next to no weight penalty.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tarp or small tent’ is closed to new replies.