Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Tarmac or Roubaix? so confused!!
  • Sundayjumper

I have an SL3 Tarmac and I’ve always found it surprisingly comfortable. I was worried beforehand that it would be too harsh or twitchy but it’s not. An 8 mile commute will be no problem at all. Although as mentioned, you’ll have trouble fitting guards / rack, so it’s not going to be an all-season commuter.

I also have an SL4 Tarmac and that’s more like what I’d expect from a race bike. Stiffer & sharper. I prefer the SL3 tbh.

I’ve never tried a Roubaix but based on my experiences with the Tarmac(s), I can’t see why I’d want to, not while I’m this side of fifty anyway. My M&D (both approaching 70) have Roubaixs…

jacob46
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member
    I have an SL3 Tarmac and I’ve always found it surprisingly comfortable. I was worried beforehand that it would be too harsh or twitchy but it’s not. An 8 mile commute will be no problem at all. Although as mentioned, you’ll have trouble fitting guards / rack, so it’s not going to be an all-season commuter.
    I also have an SL4 Tarmac and that’s more like what I’d expect from a race bike. Stiffer & sharper. I prefer the SL3 tbh.
    I’ve never tried a Roubaix but based on my experiences with the Tarmac(s), I can’t see why I’d want to, not while I’m this side of fifty anyway. My M&D (both approaching 70) have Roubaixs…

See your point !!

I always think my height mite hinder me sometimes with a race bike, worried about feeling too cramped up. But from studying the 2 geometry’s there’s not a lot in them.
    As for rain/mud guards I’m not bothered about getting wet.I still use car when it’s that rough out side.

How tall are you if you don’t mind?
    I also read that the SL4 is more comfortable than previous models?

NormalMan

Another SL3 owner here. Mine is mighty comfortable. You will be fine with the Tarmac, I’m sure. (One of my riding buddies has an SL2 Roubaix so I have tried one)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eshershore
    Free Member

Sl2 and sl3 have little in common with sl4 Roubaix

Sl4 Roubaix is basically the bottom half of tarmac sl4 with softer seat stays, taller head tube and slacker/longer geo

the newer Roubaix is a much sharper ride under power and sharper handling whereas the older frames felt pretty spongy / soft and appreciated being wound up to speed rather than hammered

Sl4 Roubaix also not as comfortable, it definitely benefits from the cg-r seat post which it was designed around.

Tarmac sl4 is a sharper handling ride especially hard corners and descent, rapid acceleration, but Roubaix sl4 a very impressive endurance frame with more noticeable race feel than older models

jacob46
    Free Member

esher shore – Member
    Sl2 and sl3 have little in common with sl4 Roubaix

Sl4 Roubaix is basically the bottom half of tarmac sl4 with softer seat stays, taller head tube and slacker/longer geo

the newer Roubaix is a much sharper ride under power and sharper handling whereas the older frames felt pretty spongy / soft and appreciated being wound up to speed rather than hammered

Sl4 Roubaix also not as comfortable, it definitely benefits from the cg-r seat post which it was designed around.

Tarmac sl4 is a sharper handling ride especially hard corners and descent, rapid acceleration, but Roubaix sl4 a very impressive endurance frame with more noticeable race feel than older models

so if you look at the price difference and consider that ill probably ride mainly to work on my road bike and my spare time of a weekend on my HT mtb would you have the tarmac?

jacob46
    Free Member

Normal Man – Member
    Another SL3 owner here. Mine is mighty comfortable. You will be fine with the Tarmac, I’m sure. (One of my riding buddies has an SL2 Roubaix so I have tried one)

whats your height please so i can compare?

TiRed

You can race on a Roubaix and trundle on a Tarmac. I personally think that Specialized have taken the extended head tube concept a little too far, but it’s just a trade off of spacers for headtube. You may notice the increased wheelbase and this can make for a more “stately” ride.

“Sportive/Comfort” geometry is not so different to race geometry, you can set both bikes up to have the same contact point positions. Then you can see if you can feel diffences in handling. The difference between my Defy and Propel (similar to Roubaix and Tarmac) are subtle and would not make a huge difference.

Tyre choice, followed by colour are bigger factors.

eshershore
    Free Member

@jacob

you won’t really go wrong with either bike. you can remove the cone spacer from the Roubaix and slam the stem, but it will always be taller than the Tarmac, and won’t have the same steering steering response due to longer wheelbase, slacker fork race and the less aggressive geometry

probably best to test ride both, and see what you like? The Roubaix will give a more upright comfortable feel that will suit steady cruising, the Tarmac feels more natural going quick leant forward onto the hoods

NormalMan

I’m 5’11″(and a half) on a 56cm.

jacob46
    Free Member

Esher shore,

So for the £200 saving from tarmac sport to robaix sport you would recommend the tarmac ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think he’s recommending the one you prefer 🙂

Sundayjumper

Jacob – I’m 6’4″ and both my Tarmacs are XXL.

I think I’d be fine on an XL if I wanted something slightly more compact, I don’t have a crazy amount of seatpost showing.

jacob46
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member
    Jacob – I’m 6’4″ and both my Tarmacs are XXL.

I think I’d be fine on an XL if I wanted something slightly more compact, I don’t have a crazy amount of seatpost showing.

can i possibly talk to you mate? your the perfect person i need achat with please. my number 07590407467

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tarmac or Roubaix? so confused!!’ is closed to new replies.