Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tarmac driveway prices
  • mucker

Looking for a rough guide price to get an existing tarmac driveway in poor condition lifted, disposed and new tarmac layed, re-using existing sub base, total area of 41m2. I’ve been quoted about £1300, seems high to me, anyone help.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sounds about right to me, tarmacs expensive as dear as block paving.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned on what they’d quoted for firstly. Frinstance 25 mm of 6mm topping won’t last very long….

spooky_b329

Considered that resin bonded gravel stuff? Prices up similar to block paving doesn’t it?

bedmaker

I’ve been quoted about £1300, seems high to me, anyone help.

I’d have though the opposite tbh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That sounds way too cheap to me.

BigJohn

You might want to check if there’s a requirement to re-surface using a permeable material. Might be an issue if you come to sell the house.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d ring building control 😉

xcracer1
    Free Member

Id check what your getting for that, depth of tarmac etc.

mucker

Proposed spec.
    “Excavate existing tar off drive, dig out any soft spots , Infill with type 1, base up with 20 mm Dbm at a depth of 60 mm , then lay 10 mm tar pave at a depth of 40 mm for a wearing course.”

Does that seem okay?

iolo
    Free Member

thats up to 10 ton of tar of tar to remove and take to tip. then 10 ish ton of tar to replace plus whatever sub base to replace.
    far too cheap.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Is there a north/south ting going on here?

Interested in doing similar myself but struggling to find someone to carry out the work who has a fixed address.

mucker

Surely 60mm + 40mm = 100mm
    Therefore, 0.1m x 41m2 = 4.1m3

iolo
    Free Member

correct. work on 2.4 ton/m3 give you 9.84 tonne.
    Or 10ish ton.
    Or 100 mm divide by 425 gives you how many tons per m2 = 0.235 ton / m2. 41m2 gives you 9.647 ton or 10 rounded up.

mucker

Oops, its not water or wood, I guess tarmac weighs around 2T a cube, therefore 4.1m3 = over 8T.

mucker

Yeah, got it now, brains just catching up, thanks.

dyls

£1300 sounds a little on the cheap side to me but if the company is reputable, id go for it. Make sure you get the depth quoted and there is some kind of edge restraint/upstand to surface up to. 100mm depth is more than adequate for a driveway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

60/40 is a standard spec used all over. All the private paving ie car parks for staff vehicles on my current site is engineered at 60/40.
    You’d piss the dig off in an 8w grab which if they have the right contacts will be away for circa 100 quid.
    To be fair it’s probably 1 to 2 hrs hand lay and finish for each course so the labour isn’t really an issue price wise. There’s not a great amount in it but if you’re doing a few a day and carrying your own kit it sounds viable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tarmac driveway prices’ is closed to new replies.