Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tapering, and a CyB enduro roll call
  • Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Howdo.

Now then, Flange mentioned someone in the office is tapering this week for CyB. I’ve been pushing out rides all last week and had this weekend off to recouperate.

Rode in this morning, and was planning rides for tommorrow and Weds. Would not riding on Thursday and Friday be a good enough taper?

Or am I getting in massively wrong and should just rest all week?

Oh. And see you Sat morning 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I’m doing it. It appears that you may be training in some way, can’t help there – my only aim is to make the 60km cut off on time and have a good laugh!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Don’t rest, ride but keep it easy.

I’d also suggest not resting Monday afterwards either. Always found my recovery to be much slower resting than if I just keep on riding afterwards, albeit gently.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Morning Gary!

We’re planning on riding the two days after (llandegla and Ffestinog probably), so that should keep us going.

My training consists mainly of smashing out 15miler rides (and annoying Gary) home via AC/LW, so nothing huge.

I’m hoping I should make it to the 60km cut off.

Gary, you see my Strava postings, think I’ll do any good?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It depends on how fatigued you are if you really need to taper or not.
    If you think you do, then take it easier during the week, maybe take thursday off but get a short (<1hr) but high pace ride in on Friday.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Neil, I rode the WC2C on that kind of training! (although with a solid history of endurance stuff though)

Eat often, and from the start, before even. Big mistake people make on this sort of stuff is waiting until they think they need it. By which point it’s way too late and you’ll generally fail to recover from that IMO. Take it easy, and don’t stop. If you’re worrying about cut off times, it’ll be stoppages not slow pace that put you at risk.

Ease into it too, very tempting to go with the flow early on.

carlos
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve even thought of tapering my riding, you planning on racing to get a time?

Last yr the only prep we did was to carbo load on Stella and a BBQ the night before, completed it without issues other than one lad had a touch of cramp on the long tarmac climb. Suppose it depends on what sort of millage and terrain your used to riding.

Doing the 60km with a couple of buddies again this yr, with the same sort of prep in mind. Its all about getting round and having a laugh for us, then on Sunday we’ll prob go over to Penmachno or Llandegla on the way home.

Hope this weather’s changed by weekend as its not going to be fun as it is.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Well, the two other guys I’m going with will be, and they’ve my cards marked.

I just want to survive and enjoy the trails really, which I guess if I take that attitude will mean it’ll be enjoyable.

What is a usual time for CyB 60k?

carlos
    Free Member

The first mile or so was chocka with people trying to race of and get away from the crowd, due to the mass start and the fact that after the initial fire road there was a couple of techy climbs (not long or hard) but some struggled after racing past earlier and also because of the sheer volume of riders at such a slow pace.

Can’t remember how long it took, prob between 5-6hrs. Some riders were quicker some were slower.

franki
    Free Member

My brother and I are riding.
    I’m just hoping to complete the 60k. Have to see how I go, as it will be my first time riding rigid singlespeed at this kind of event.

My bro finished the Kielder 100 with no major issues the other weekend, so I don’t expect to see much of him once we cross the start line! 🙁

huw
    Free Member

I’ll be there again this year. Looking forward to it. Great event and brilliant course.

Fastest time for the full course last year was 2 hours 46 minutes.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m going but not in a serious fashion. Any aspirations of giving it a serious go were sharply curtailed by a cancelation appointment for my vasectomy becoming available last week 😯

I am out tomorrow night for a trial ride around the Dales out of Clapham to gingerly check how I feel. Pedalling to work is ok but I am wondering what serious off-road repetitive impacts will do to me downstairs.

As for tapering…

nealy
    Free Member

I’m doing the 60km with my brother and my mate is doing the 30km route. I’m expecting to take at least 5 hours but hopefully under 6, been having cramps recently on long rides so I’m prepared for a lot of pain. I think taking it easy at the start, pacing yourself and keeping the calorie intake up is good advice.

I’ve not done it, or anything like it, before so I’m bricking it a bit but I resigned myself to slowness and pain so I’ll just do my best to enjoy it and not take it too seriously.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tapering? When did they make it a race? A few of us are driving up a day or so before and riding Friday, then riding sunday after the enduro. Not driving all the way to north wales and limiting my riding!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Tapering? When did they make it a race?

Why does it have to be a race in order to taper? Tapering is just about ensuring you are in the best condition possible for the race/event/challenge.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

+1 ^

I just want to be able to ride it without dying half way through. Plus, it’s fun to ride it fast.

Mounty_73

I’m doing the 30k on my own as no one else was interested and I will be close to CYB and the surrounding area all weekend.

I just hope the weather improves!

bitemebryn
    Free Member

Looking forward to it. I’ve done nothing but my normal daily 12 mile round trip commute his week. Hoping the ups aren’t as brutal as the devon dirt, but I know the downs will be much much better 😀 see you there.

mtbant
    Free Member

60km for me!

888trojan888
    Free Member

60km for me also…………..none of this tapering malarky though im just gunna give it the beast all the way round until my legs pop 😈

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tapering, and a CyB enduro roll call’ is closed to new replies.