Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tapered headset to normal 1 1/8 headtube
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi all, anybody ever succesfully fitted a tapered steerer to a straight 1 1/8 head tube?

james
    Free Member

unlikely unless your definition of straight 1 1/8″ head tube encompasses some of the newer, still straight, but a bit bigger, but not as big as most* 1.5″ headtubes, eg 44/44mm?

*I believe (not sure) a 44mm headtube will accept a straight 1.5″ steerer fork with the right (external) headset cups?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Im sorry. My old fork has 1 1/8 steerer. From a semi integrated headset cube attention head tube. .. Just happen to buy the wrong fork in ebay RST Titan 120mm which is tapered.. Can sell it back in ebay but if i can get a bottom part headset to fit this that would be better i think

dantsw13

If your bike has a 1 1/8 headtube, then the bottom of your tapered steerer will be bigger than your headtube, so no way to fudge that with a fancy headset that I’m aware of.

Back on eBay IMHO

RustyMac

If the head tube is semi intigrated / zero stack / 44mm inner diameter you can buy a new external lower cup, nuke proof do them but don’t sell individually. Hope sell individual cups and it would be their H cup you would need

dantsw13

Rusty – how do you get a 1.5 cup into a 1 1/8 headtube though?

easygirl

You can’t Fit a 1.5 inch steerer tube into a 1 1/8 headtube…….can you?

easygirl

Nope, hope h is 44.10mm , 11/8 headset is 34.10mm, so it can’t fit
    Sell it on ebay.

T1000
    Free Member

Some of the above is misleading…,

If as rusty mac says its a 44 mm zero stack head tube then taper forks may fit
    The lower cup is external 1.5 and the upper is either internal or external 1 1/8

Cane creek, hope and nuke proof make suitable heads sets

I’ve been running the above for the past 2 years with no problems

The key question is the head tube inside diameter 44mm

RustyMac

Easygirl it was suggested by wolfenstein that the head tube was a semi intigrated head tube on his bike. That should make it 44mm. That is why I was suggesting the hope H cup.

As you correctly point out if the head tube is regular 1 1/8 the the 1.5 lower will not fit.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I was hoping it will be fitted like this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/

By the way, headset at the moment is fsa no.10 semi integrated, i am under the impression 44mm is standard for this?

I saw that xx44 of cane creek but too pricey. Is it the same as the Hope H cup? … Im not really keen on spending too much on this. I just want to find out if 100mm and 120mm travel how significant their differences on Trail rides and Uphill/downhill sacrifice ratio.

RustyMac

Yup Hope H cup is exactly like that cane creek one.

See the hope document in the link below

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Ok.. This may be a very daft question now.. How to buy just this h cup? Cant seem to find this crc online shop and some.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Found it.. I assume its this one.. Umm another daft question.. Its got sealed bearings right?

http://www.biketart.com/2593/products/hope-pick-n-mix-bottom-headset-cup-h-1-5-inch-traditional.aspx

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

In example no.2. Do i need to buy .. HOPE:B. and HOPE: H together?

RustyMac

Yes that one
    Yes Sealed bearings
    CRC don’t sell them as they have the Nuke Proof ones
    Bargain forks then.
    No it is B or H for 44mm head tubes, B is essentially the same as what will be in your bike now. Down the line you could get a reducer crown race to run the 1 1/8 forks with the H cup.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

So rusty, i just need to buy that Hope H… The photo in hopetech seems confusing i thought it comes with Hope B… Like an adapter kinda thing. … Yah kinda bargain.. Seller end the bidding at 11am on a weekday.

RustyMac

Yup, buy just the h cup

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Cheers mate. You are a credit to this forum 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

don’t forget the high low stack height will also have the effect of fitting a longer A-C fork so will change the angles a bit.

A lot of places sell the hope pick ‘n mix headsets. To fit a normal fork in at a later date you can buy the new hope crown race adapter which fits over a normal 1.125″ steerer and then the 1.5″/tapered steerer crown race fits onto it. Nice thing with hope is split crown races to easy to swap around.

juan
    Free Member

If your fame is tapered 1″1/5 1″1/8 and you have a straight 1″1/8 steerer you only need the correct FSA headset with a very large crown race

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi andyl, can you show me link ?

Juan, fork is tapered.. Frame headtube is straight semi integrated 1 1/8… Can you show me link what it looks like as well?

Im sorry, this headset headtube is like learning a new language for me. Cheers guys.

juan
    Free Member

You can use a 44mm external bearing on the bottom. I am sure your LBS will sort you out.

andyl
    Free Member

The reducer you want is HS136 for fiting a 1.125″ steerer where a tapered one was: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/headsets-1/hope-hs136-15-1-1-8-reducer.html

The lower cup you want a 44mm standard, external lower cup for a 1.5″/tapered steerer.

the lower cup which might fit is this one: http://www.biketart.com/2593/products/hope-pick-n-mix-bottom-headset-cup-h-1-5-inch-traditional.aspx

Basically as it’s external instead of semi integrated they can use a larger inner diameter bearing.

The only problem is if your frame has a shoulder inside just above the headset that the steerer could hit on.

Also be aware that the external lower cup will raise the front up so raising the BB and changing the angles.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

My LBS idea of solution to my problem is buying a new fork that they have on sale. .. I turned around and walk away.

Change of angle.. Is it in a good way?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tapered headset to normal 1 1/8 headtube’ is closed to new replies.