Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tapered forks Seriously slack headangle content
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

Seen some Van 36 RC2 but tapered headtube for little money and being the new owner of a 2009 prophet thought they might be worth a go seeing as the prophet should take a 1.5 headtube.
    Questions are
    1. Am I right in thinking the prophet will take the fork with the right headset?
    2. is the axle to crown a bit irresponsible even on the xc geometry setting
    3. If so is it worth reducing the travel to 150mm with the internal spacer
    4. Should I just stick with my significantly lighter minute absolute in matching white for maximum pimpness.
    (Head angle xc with Pike is 69.0 in fr 67.5)

z1ppy

1. I assume so with the right headset or mix, as most taper headset are for frames with 1.5 bottom and 1-1/8 top IIRC. I'm unaware of a tapered headset for a C'dale (what would be the point, as they already use a 1.5 headstock), so you may have to mix and match two headset to make one work on the C'dale? (reducer top and 1.5 bottom)
    2. No idea about irresponsible but you'll invalidate you warrenty unless you run them at the 130mm setting IIRC (due to the Crown to axle limit C'dale have)
    3. See 2 and make choice based on your warrenty
    4. Depends on what you want to do with the bike, ride everywhere or just gravity based. The Minutes could be up 2Lb lighter in weight than the RC's but thats never stopped ppl riding 'all day' if your prepared to do it.

toys19
    Free Member

I dunno but i want van 36 tapered or 1.5 forks, where have you seen them cheap?

mafiafish
    Free Member

they are on ebay and have since go up 150 quid to £270 so i doubt i'll go for it

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

One of the guides at t2r had 36s on a prophet, a season didn't break it iirc.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I think they are good for a 150mm fork, but I'd check with local dealer to confirm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tapered forks Seriously slack headangle content’ is closed to new replies.