Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tapered crown race – lateral thinking wanted
  • ononeorange

I am putting together my first tapered headset (Cane Creek on a standard 1 1/8″ steerer) and am having a mind ****. It’s been a long hard week so far at work in my defence.

I can’t get the crown race to seat down onto the aluminimum adapter at the bottom – I have one of those big heavy metal things that go over the steerer for bashing crown races on, but its diameter is too small for the bigger crown race. I stopped myself from bashing it on with a screwdriver point as it kept going on skewwoof and I realised that I was damaging it.

I thought about some plastic pipe of the right size but it’ll be a week until I can get to a suitable shop.

Any ideas using something I may have to hand?

Cheers!

scotroutes

First of all, heat the crown race in a pan of boiling water……..
    …then use a drift of soft wood and tap it on.

wrecker
    Free Member

Scaffold pipe is about the right size.

MrTall
    Free Member

I had the same problem recently. Reached for my trusty bit of plumbers pipe to realise it was too thin.

In the end i got the next size up in the piping which was a tad too small still but i cut a slot up the side of it and that allowed it to give enough to get the crown race on.

Can’t help you with alternative options though if you can’t get to shop although i’m sure lots of people will just say cut a slot in the crown race and it should go on fine?

scaredypants

I’ve eased one with a file (but go very steady, they are supposed to be tight)

richmtb

You need something softer than the crown race to use as a drift,

a soft piece of wood is a good suggestion.

Go slowly tapping one side and then the other.

Non split crown races should be made illegal!

ononeorange

Thanks everyone. Gives me a bit of confidence, which is the main thing.

Will try hot water / wood combination.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tapered crown race – lateral thinking wanted’ is closed to new replies.