Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Taper on steerer too long for frame?
  • spicer
    Free Member

I’m currently sat building up my 2015 Trek remedy 9, but stumbling at the first block!
    Crown race is on the fork, bearings are in the headtube (no headset cups needed, bearings sit directly into the frame), but the top bearing wont fully seat. Maybe 2mm off. I can get the bearing to seat, but then the tapered ring that goes above the upper bearing won’t squeeze in, if I lift the bearing up a little then the ring fits in fine.

Any ideas of what I can do?
    Was thinking a spacer under the crown race, but then the crown race might not fit tight? I think this funny headtube where the bearings sit directly in the frame might mean that you cant install cups (which would space it out).
    frmae: Trek remedy 9 2015
    fork: x fusion vengeance (set at 140mm)

benpinnick

Normally its not the taper thats the issue. The taper ‘tapers’ out very quickly on most forks (30-40mm or so) you’d have to have a crazy short head tube for that to be an issue as its straight for most of the steerer…. but the taper on the vengeance is actually rather long… much longer than newer XF forks for example. Simple answer to the question is to measure the taper and then measure the head tube length. If taper = HT length or near enough (within aboutt 7mm at a guess), then yes thats the issue, otherwise it sounds like the bearing isn’t seating right in the top cup.

spicer
    Free Member

Thanks Ben, have done so- it’s definitely caused by the taper being too long

cynic-al
    Free Member

Might be worth trying to space out the crown race tho its not something I’ve seen done.

There’s usually 2mm at least there.

wwaswas

some of the early on-one carbon 456’s had this.

didn’t they machine up some deeper crown races to drop the fork slightly in the headtube?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

some of the early on-one carbon 456’s had this.

didn’t they machine up some deeper crown races to drop the fork slightly in the head-tube

Yep. Mine did.
    It’s caused by the frame designer not knowing that there was/isn’t a standard length of taper on the fork. It was Rockshox Reba and Revelation that were the worst. I managed to file down the taper split ring on the headset top race so it just fitted, then I was sent 2 different thickness crown races and an external top race to ‘fix’ the issue. I didn’t need both, one or the other would have worked.
    If you’ve got an integrated headset (no press in cups of any kind, bearings straight in the frame) then the only permanent fix will be a thicker crown race. If the top race has a press in cup, zero stack, then you might be able to get an external top race that will do the trick.
    Otherwise you’re buggered, basically.

gonzy
    Free Member

then you might be able to get an external top race that will do the trick.

i think this is the best option, but it will mean you’ll need to buy a spare headset with a tall upper cup.
    something like the top cup out of an FSA Orbit MX or FSA Pig might to the trick. also you can get just the top cup for a Nukeproof Warhead from CRC for £17…it looks like it might be tall enough

letmetalktomark

I experienced similar with my Trance XO.

It has a fully integrated HT – I think they are called that – meaning there was/is no option for an external cup.

I’ve not seem a crown race spacer – well not an official one!

The issue I found was only present in early RS forks.

I spoke to Giant about this and they said the only fix was a different fork. This was fine for me as I hadn’t bought a fork but I can imagine it was less than ideal for some!

spicer
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I also have a c456 in medium, I haven’t checked this fork in the frame but assume it is fine as I have an external bottom cup.

I have tried ringing on-one regarding their ‘thicker’ crown races, but their phone lines are still shut. I assume different brands use different design crown races, or would a smoothie mixer crown race fit my cane creek 40 bearing?

The bearings sit directly into the frame on both the top and bottom of the headtube ? It’s Trek’s odd E2 design. I assume this means I cannot fit a cup to either the top or bottom?

I’ve also emailed cane creek to see if they can get me a thicker crown race/suggest anything else

gonzy
    Free Member

I assume this means I cannot fit a cup to either the top or bottom?

there may still be a way around it. i had a similar issue with a frame many years ago…the bearings were supposed to fit directly into the headtube but i wanted to fit my ringle headset to it. my lbs installed some adapters that they used on giant frames that had a similar headtube design to fit external cups.
    you basically stick the spacer into the headtube and then insert the external cup in as normal. once fitted i never had an issue with performance
    i still have the spacers so if you want to try them then let me know

both the adapters are 1 1/8th so will only work on the top of your headtube

spicer
    Free Member

Just had a quick call to on-one, they have no more thick crown races. Boo!

ndthornton
    Free Member

there may still be a way around it. i had a similar issue with a frame many years ago…the bearings were supposed to fit directly into the headtube but i wanted to fit my ringle headset to it. my lbs installed some adapters that they used on giant frames that had a similar headtube design to fit external cups.
    you basically stick the spacer into the headtube and then insert the external cup in as normal. once fitted i never had an issue with performance
    i still have the spacers so if you want to try them then let me know

both the adapters are 1 1/8th so will only work on the top of your headtube

Sounds like this might be for an integrated headtube – but it sounds like the OPs might be internal…… Bloody headset standards!!

…and that is seriously pish by X fusion

spicer
    Free Member

Yep, Headset standards do my head in!

I may have hit the jackpot- I’ve just found this

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=68918&category=1696

fingers crossed that it fits the headset I have. Lets see what cane creek say!

ndthornton
    Free Member

That looks like it will work
    You will have a slightly slacker head angle too

spicer
    Free Member

Every shop I’ve spoken to are having trouble getting Extra to order this part over from america. I’ve bought some copper sump gaskets to use as spacers until I manage to get it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Extra can be a bit inflexible when it comes to getting stuff they don’t have from a brand they import, it has to be said…. Might be easier to get it direct if you can

spicer
    Free Member

I was speaking to cane creek via email- they haven’t replied since I suggested buying one direct 🙁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Taper on steerer too long for frame?’ is closed to new replies.