Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Tapatalk on the forum?
  • james266
    Free Member

I dont know how much this site is monitored by mods but if it is can you add support for tapatalk? Its really easy to do by going to their website and it means we can view the forum easily from smartphones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I reported your posts so they will have read it 😉

No really I DID

clubber
    Free Member

The only thing I find annoying using the forum on a mobile is clicking a thread to highlight it or clicking and showing the last poster. If those bits of functionality could be switched off for mobile browsers it’d be spot on. No need for tapatalk/etc IMO.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why is that needed? It fits perfectly on a phone screen as it is….! 🙂

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

james266
    Free Member

I find that it loads too much on the forum like the adverts and headers. Its not too bad if you are constantly on 3G but if are in an area of worse signal then it makes browsing much faster.

geoffj

I find that it loads too much on the forum like the adverts and headers.

Strange that.

james266
    Free Member

yeah well fair enough when you have the bandwidth but if it takes ages to load then I wont bother visiting the site at all!

clubber
    Free Member

But since you wouldn’t be seeing any adverts if you didn’t visit, presumably you’d be happy to pay to use the forum instead? 🙂

GrahamS

Works fine for me, as per Peter’s pic.

it loads too much on the forum like the adverts and headers.

iPhone = no flash = less adverts
    Premier member = option for even less adverts

clubber
    Free Member

Android Opera = no flash = ditto.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

iPhone = no flash = less adverts

Oh yeah! Handy that, but I’d never realised!

retro83
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Android Opera = no flash = ditto.

Or any android browser set to ‘on demand’ plugins. Can still use freecaster et al. Suck on that iPhone showoffs. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We don’t need flash…. 😛

GrahamS

Can still use freecaster et al. Suck on that iPhone showoffs

*goes to freecaster on iphone*
    *watches video*
    *comes back*

Yeah that all works fine thanks. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But we can if we want to…. 😛

Tom
    Free Member

Thank you for the suggestion, though I’ll admit it’s not the first time I’ve seen it. Some people have made some valid points above, which have left me in my previous unpersuaded state. By all means continue trying to persuade me it would be worthwhile, but do also try and see it from our point of view.

GrahamS

Tom: I’d rather just see a slightly cut down style-sheet for mobile devices with maybe an easier way to insert smilies (activating the smiley pop-down then hitting the right one is a bit of a faff on a touchscreen)

Thanks for listening.

Tom
    Free Member

Thanks. We’re always interested and increasingly working for the benefit of *all* mobile users (especially premier users!), which is a small part of why I’m unpersuaded as above.

What are you thinking, a single row of smilies set into the page? The smilies can also be written as they would be in ascii, btw. :smile:

GrahamS

What are you thinking, a single row of smilies set into the page?

Yeah that would be easier for me anyway. I know you can type them, but I can’t always remember teh codez for the one I want.

Likewise the “Report Post” is very easy to hit by mistake when you’re swiping up and down on a touchscreen.

james266
    Free Member

Hi Tom,

Im not trying to promote the app in particular but it is a very quick and easy way for you to go about it since I dont think it should require much work on your behalf.

It does just provide a cut down interface for smartphones so that we can participate on the forum when not in a 3G area. Its not a complete substitue for PC access as the functionality is also cut down so I dont think it would deter members from using the PC based site.

MTBR, weight weenies, CTC are just a few of the cycling forums that use it but there are many other forums as well.

Since you mention it what is your view on it? Then I can try and talk you round to mine 😀

wwaswas

James266 – I think your argument woudl carry more weight if you a) paid to use the site and b) posted more than classified ads.

STW have to make a commercial desicion cost vs benefit and all the ‘P’ posters on this thread don’t see a problem with the current solution.

GrahamS

OWER to the REMIER OSTERS!

😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Oh you wags 😉

James266 – I think your argument woudl carry more weight if you a) paid to use the site and b) posted more than classified ads.

+1 – I did read this as ‘non-premier wheeler-dealer would like funtionality added to make said free wheeler-dealing easier for him’…. perhaps I’m just cynical 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

dolphin browser on android lets you assign a gesture to load or not load images. SO in GPRS area I set to not load images, and 3G turn them on.

Makes for a clean quick load, easy to navigate.

GrahamS

dolphin browser on android lets you assign a gesture to load or not load images.

Likewise I use Opera on the iPhone when I need the web in a crappy GPRS location – you can turn off images or opt to recompress them to low quality on the fly.

james266
    Free Member

I think some of those comments are a bit harsh. I used to be a suscriber but times are harsh and Ive had to save money. When I can afford it I will re-subscribe.

If I had a better way of accessing the site while on a mobile I might contribute a bit more.

Im just putting an idea out there that I think would improve the site for many people. If Tom has a good reason for not using going that way then fair enough.

In terms of cost I dont see you argument there as its free to implement it on your forum? But if you want you can pay and get adds put it they are just mobile designed.

althepal

Ooo, all the “P” posters…

Tom
    Free Member

Since you mention it what is your view on it?

My initial observation is that the forums you mention use the bog-standard plugin. Our forum, even if it used the same software, would be heavily customised and probably require a lot of time spent hacking with the API. Why bother with that effort for a single app, when the same time could be spent on improvements for every user?

The second thing I can’t get past, and this is somewhat related to what I’ve said above, is the sales pitch on their front page. In its entirety it says:

Forums Owners: Tapatalk allows your members to visit your forum anytime, anywhere

doh!

barbus
    Free Member

I read this whole thread and have absolutely no idea what any of it means.

Thought it would be about plumbing.

Which is another subject I have absolutely no knowledge of.

grum
    Free Member

What advantage does having a premier account get you then? The forum is a bit of a PITA to browse on my iphone. I like to use the ‘forum activity’ thing you get by clicking on your username to see if there’s been responses to threads I’ve posted in – its quite fiddly to get to imo.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s what bookmarks are for, Grum 😉

grum
    Free Member

Aha, never thought of that, cheers.

I use the talkphotography site quite a bit – they have a forum app, and it is generally much easier to use than just browsing the site normally on the phone. There is also a mobile theme if you are viewing from in the browser which helps a bit.

GrahamS

What advantage does having a premier account get you then?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/premier/

£15 a year for the Digital Version: digital copies of current mag plus archives of all back issues and extra premier content (videos, gpx tracks etc). Option to reduce the number of adverts on the forum. Snazzy P by your name so everyone knows how amazing you are. 15 “Get Out of Mod Free” cards to be used as required*

(* subject to availability)

Woody
    Free Member

I did read this as ‘non-premier wheeler-dealer would like funtionality added to make said free wheeler-dealing easier for him’…. perhaps I’m just cynical

Well the wheeler-dealer is sending me some pedals for postage cost only because “Im just trying to make some space and help anyone else out if they need the parts.“, which goes to show that you don’t have to be a premier a/c holder to be a good egg 😉

Mark

From tomorrow you will be able to activate your premier account for Just £2/month.. stop and start whenever you like.

So for £2 you will be able to deactivate the ads and access over 60 issue sin our Mag Archive plus all the other extras.

Woody
    Free Member

Wow. I’ve just realised that I’ve only one ad on the page and the rest have disappeared. I also have no recollection of de-activating anything.

Excellent 😀

Edit: not so excellent, they appear to be back on other pages. How do you de-activate as I can’t find anything in the help section?

grum
    Free Member

OK, the premier account for £15 seems reasonable, do you still get a free t-shirt? 🙂

GrahamS

do you still get a free t-shirt?

Allegedly 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

From tomorrow you will be able to activate your premier account for Just £2/month.. stop and start whenever you like.
    So for £2 you will be able to deactivate the ads and access over 60 issue sin our Mag Archive plus all the other extras.

Interesting…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Tapatalk on the forum?’ is closed to new replies.