• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tap water smells of chlorine?
  • ski
    Free Member

Our tap water supply (Severn Trent) has recently started to smell like a local swimming pool, it has a noticeable wiff of chlorine?

never noticed it before, is it still safe to drink?

wwaswas

Yes ours in Hove always smells like that we have to filter it to make tea or it’s like drinking a swimming pool

flow
    Free Member

You are going to die

wallop

Bristol water has stunk like that for years (though seems to have improved recently).

If you leave a glass of water out for a while, the chlorine will evaporate and it’ll start to taste a bit better.

john_drummer
    Free Member

campden tablets

stuey
    Free Member

The chlorine only smells if ‘something has fallen in’ – though it will probably safe to drink.

If you put a jug of it in the fridge for a while the smell should go.

Trekster

we get that after a period of heavy rain. The filtering station is probably compensating for the gunge from the fields and forest being washed into the reservoir which is in the middle of a forest, or was until the trees were felled 🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    v8ninety

Water companies chlorinate tap water when they can’t guarantee the safety of the water through filtration, such as in times of flooding or in a filtration failure situation. Came up the other day in a lecture from a guy from the health protection agency.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I work for a large regulated water company, all water compaies chlorinate their supply all of the time. They will over chlorinate if issues arise such as supply pipework compromise, problems with the chlorination unit and issues with the source of the water i.e. borehole or reservoir.

It’s nothing to worry about, the dosage is of a safe level. Just does not tase very good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

if you are not happy with the taste write to the company expressing dissatisfaction with the taste/ odour, they have to provide a substantive written response which should state why the level of chlorination has changed

phone in and you will get pointed to the website

ski
    Free Member

if you are not happy with the taste write to the company expressing dissatisfaction with the taste/ odour, they have to provide a substantive written response which should state why the level of chlorination has changed

phone in and you will get pointed to the website

I did not think to go that far with it, but now you mentioned it, I am quite tempted, just to see what sort of reply I get 😉

Saying that, it seems much better today, [swigging down a pint of water as I type]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tap water smells of chlorine?’ is closed to new replies.