Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Tannoy Speakers?
  • huggis
    Free Member

Anyone got, or heard, Tannoy Precision 6.2 speakers. they seem to be well reviewed and are on sale right now at £799 (£1000 off ). I am unfortunately unable to demo before buying.

Rest of proposed system is CA Streammagic 6 v2 and a CA Azur 651W Power Amp. Room is 25 SQM.

TiRed

I wouldn’t buy any speaker, Tannoy otherwise, without a demo. Well I might buy a Tannoy Westminster if it was stupidly cheap, but you do at least need an idea of whether the tone suits your ear.

For me speakers are the most characteristic part of a hifi.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What my road riding pal said.

Not to mention how it works with your electronics and in your room.

May look like a bargain…

RustySpanner

I like my DC6t’s very much.

Cougar

I quite like Tannoy. But I’d want to audition them first, especially at that sort of money.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

I bought Tannoy Eyris floorstanders about 12 years ago without auditioning them. Similarly priced and discounted…. Run them now with an Arcam AVR400 and they are still magnificent

jambob67
    Free Member

I had a pair of tannoy d700s and they are the best speakers I’ve ever had even better than my acoustic energy AE2S special editions. They were jaw dropping.

dmorts

A pair of £1800 loudspeakers with £1000 off are guaranteed to sound fantastic.

Seriously though, buy and take a hit getting rid second hand if you don’t like them? The what hifi review is very good (although the listening source material is dubious*) and therefore think you’d shift them on easily.

*not that I don’t like daft punk, I actually really like them but not something I’d use to illustrate how a speaker sounds!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

IMO it’s all about sound signature I tested about a dozen setups last time.

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks all..yes ideally I want a demo but it’s not possible. Shifting 2nd hand may also be challenging given logistics of posting.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If they are fairly accurate transducers then you could always consider the digital EQ route if they don’t match your room.

There is more to a speaker than just accurate reproduction though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

huggis – Member

Thanks all..yes ideally I want a demo but it’s not possible. Shifting 2nd hand may also be challenging given logistics of posting.

Use a courier. But if they are selling for < 1/2 RRP then you have to think about the SH value.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I guess it may depend on what your listening preferences are and how they would pair with your amp. Having said that, I have generally found Tannoy to pretty unfussy speakers when it comes to pairing with amps. Personally I do like Tannoy very much. Currently still have a pair of standmount Mercury S speakers that are roughly 25 years old and are still sounding lovely. The new Revolution XT floor standers are very nice and represent excellent value for money so I can’t imagine you going too far wrong with the Precision’s at what looks to be a bit of a bargain price.

I would argue that a pair of £1800 speakers (or any high priced speakers for that matter) can still sound pretty gash. For example, Focal. And others can have an interesting sound which you may or may not like eg Spendor. However, as I said, I can’t see you going wrong with these Tannoys. 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Still using my 633 floor standers. Bought for hundred quid from a guy with a mountain of gear who just wanted to get rid. Happy with them.

dmorts

Shifting 2nd hand may also be challenging given logistics of posting

Keep the boxes and packaging and get a courier pick-up from your house/work.

TurnerGuy – Member
    If they are fairly accurate transducers then you could always consider the digital EQ route if they don’t match your room.

But you need to make sure you have a reasonably controlled acoustic listening environment first before you can go anywhere near EQ. E.g. you have null/dip in your frequency response at the listening position caused by reflection from a side wall. Trying to EQ this away by boosting the loudspeaker response at that frequency isn’t going to work. It’s a physical cancellation of acoustic energy occurring in the room not a deficiency in the loudspeaker system itself.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My friend had a pair of seriously expensive Quad Electrostatic speakers – he thought they sounded wonderful, i thought they sounded dreadful so you really need to listen to them and ideally in your own room with your own equipment.

huggis
    Free Member

Sounds like I need to pass these up :-(. Seems to be too risky that I won’t like the sound

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Trying to EQ this away by boosting the loudspeaker response at that frequency isn’t going to work.

Interestingly Lyngdorf/Tact recommend putting their subwoofer type driver in the corners of the room, which you would think would be the worse place for it. However I suppose it is easier to control by EQ because there are no reflections to deal with.

slowoldman

Go on…

dmorts

Interestingly Lyngdorf/Tact recommend putting their subwoofer type driver in the corners of the room, which you would think would be the worse place for it. However I suppose it is easier to control by EQ because there are no reflections to deal with.

It’s the most efficient location for the loudspeaker/subwoofer to couple with the low frequency room modes (resonances of the air volume in the room).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s the most efficient location for the loudspeaker/subwoofer to couple with the low frequency room modes (resonances of the air volume in the room).

yes I know that – especially as we are talking about Tannoy speakers :

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Your Christmas cactus needs watering 😛

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Go on…

dispersion patterns, baffle step effect, cabinet resonances, crossover design…

A mate has just had some PA speakers and matching sub designed by the guy who used to run Spendor – passive and run by Crown amps so making a very portable and flexible arrangement – and the dispersion to the side is very impressive – you can stand right out to the side of the speaker with virtually no change in the sound.

The cone and dust cap profile have a lot to do with this – he had to have a custom run of the drivers made.

The look a bit like these that he has done for the Royal Opera House, but narrower :

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/a-night-at-the-opera/

I have heard many of his speaker designs and they always have an exceptionally seductive midrange – whereas other accurate designs, for example PMC FB1+, are accurate but sterile/unrealistic compared.

I have some of his external crossovers for the LS3/5a and the difference to a normal LS3/5a is unbelievable – way more transparent and tons less THD. Same drive units and cabinet though…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Your Christmas cactus needs watering

some anonymous person whose speakers happened to appear on the images tab when I searched for them, you mean…

slowoldman

I have heard many of his speaker designs and they always have an exceptionally seductive midrange – whereas other accurate designs, for example PMC FB1+, are accurate but sterile/unrealistic compared

I don’t understand “are accurate” but are also “sterile/unrealistic”.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t understand “are accurate” but are also “sterile/unrealistic”.

I take it you are new to this hifi malarkey then…

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks for the science but I feel we’re going a bit off topic! If anyone has these speakers, auditioned them or bought any other pair around £500-£800 recently then I welcome your thoughts.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Check resale values for speakers on ebay – if you buy something highly regarded but 2nd hand (even if not from ebay) but then decide that you don’t like them you could sell on ebay for not a lot of loss.

Buy something new and you could take a bath…

chiefgrooveguru

This is all part and parcel of achieving accurate response!

konabunny
    Free Member

Keep the boxes and packaging and get a courier pick-up from your house/work.

a guy in a white van driving around with expensive speakers that a customer doesn’t want? haven’t I heard this before? 😀

slowoldman

I take it you are new to this hifi malarkey then…

Far from it. But I don’t understand how something can be accurate but unrealistic.

This is all part and parcel of achieving accurate response![/quote]
    That’s what I would have thought.

beanum

For what it’s worth I recently bought a pair of Dali Xensor 5 speakers without auditioning them and I couldn’t be happier with them. They replaced some standmount Missions that were 10 years old, are positioned correctly and sound great.

I didn’t audition them for a couple of reasons, mainly because there wasn’t a dealer very close to where I live in Switzerland and the dealers I have been in here are overpriced (£20 for two banana plugs..!) and very snobby but also because of a lack of French vocabulary when explaining how things sound.
    I remember auditioning some speakers back in the day with my Dad and whilst there were clear differences in the ones we tried none of them sounded bad in any way…

In short, if the reviews are positive and the reviewers listened to the type of music you like then I would say go for it, especially if they’re a bargain…

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks Beanum – sounds like a nice place to live! I have decided to go for the speakers / system. If it doesn’t work out there is always eBay to fall back on!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I thought my Tannoys were great.

TBH, they’re a fairly conventional speaker, so I doubt there’s much to go ‘wrong’.

They do feature Tannoy’s dual concentric, which is a great but of engineering and deservingly renowned.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This is all part and parcel of achieving accurate response!

achieving an accurate response in an anechoic chamber is one thing, but once the speaker is in a room then things like dispersion patterns and baffle steps come into it more.

Or are you saying that your speakers give an accurate response no matter where they are located?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Far from it. But I don’t understand how something can be accurate but unrealistic.

Monitors can be accurate but that may not mean they are the most realistic.

The BBC used to put a dip in the midrange to increase their realism, from back in the day when they used to select monitors by having the speaker play back a recording of a presenter reading something, and then the actual presenter read it as well, both behind an acoustically transparent curtain so the listener didn’t know which they were listening to.

ojom
    Free Member

Previous life was hifi industry.

Remember an awesome pair of D700 run by 2 Meridian monoblocks and front end. Bloody ace it was.

RustySpanner

Had mine for a month or so now (DC6t).

They image well.
    They seem to resolve detail incredibly well whilst still remaining tonally accurate.
    They go very deep, but don’t boom (approx 30cm away from wall).
    They need toeing in.
    The dual concentric tweeter is a little coarse compared to a fabric dome, but nothing major.
    Chinese build quality is OK, but the veneers are a bit marginal in a couple of places.

But most of all, they just get on with it and let me listen to the music rather than the speakers.

I paid £250 for a pair of speakers which originally retailed at £800.

Frankly, I’m delighted.

huggis
    Free Member

Hey all I hooked up the system today so thought I’d share my thoughts. Firstly I actually ended up with the Tannoy Precision 6.2 Lmited Edition speakers as the retailer sold the standard ones I’d reserved and gave me a break on the price. First impressions are mid range / vocals are very good and a great sound stage is projected. Bass seems a bit light, I’m not sure if this will improve once the speakers are run in; perhaps I will mass load them. Suffering a bit from new system syndrome I guess! Having run a sub sat system for years my ears may need to get retuned!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tannoy Speakers?’ is closed to new replies.