Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Tandems, they can right off.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

So my wife has her birthday today, and the other day decided it would be nice to go for a long bike ride, have lunch at the pub, and home again, to celebrate the occasion. Which I readily agreed to. Then yesterday she came home with a tandem that she’d borrowed from some old boy in the village, from the rafters of his garage. An old Peugeot thing from the 1920’s by the look of it, with handlebars about as wide as a hammer. What a debacle that turned out to be. We barely made it round the village without going off one side of the road or the other, or under the bus, or down a ditch. If we’d gone any further we’d be divorced by now. She kept demanding a running commentary regarding turning and stopping which was impossible as all brain function was dedicated to not crashing the bastard thing. I tried to break the ice by standing up and farting which did make her giggle. For a second or two. When I made her have a go on the front she drove us immediately through a hedge. So we put it back in the garage and went on our normal bikes. Will the more modern MTB tandem that she is now proposing we borrow from the local bike shop be a more agreeable experience?

It was a considerably less erotic experience than my childhood led me to expect

perchypanther
    Free Member

It was a considerably less erotic experience than my childhood led me to expect

Unfortunately, your opportunity has passed due to the untimely death of Gorden Kaye.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Today just gets worse.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ha! A tandem is on my list and my good lady is all for it. Neither of us have ever tried riding one. I think your experience has me even more intrigued by the idea. Sounded like a proper laugh, maybe more so for any spectators.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, when I read the thread title and who the poster was , I imagined this……

Worst Episode of CHiPs ever.

wwaswas

In your head it should have been this;

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JPDEHU1ok[/video]

reality

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxeTwI7dhTE[/video]

thegreatape
    Free Member

That picture has been used before for work related piss taking pp 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Jef, we certainly managed to time it for when half the village were out. And definitely nearly worse than Ikea.

Trimix
    Free Member

I loved riding a tandem round the FoD with my missus, brilliant fun. I want one, a proper FS one.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Try tandem crit racing, that’s bonkers

as is doing a 1 lap TT at the the “carbon graveyard” with a Paralympian stoker doing a full effort, how we got around the first right hander I don’t know

thegreatape
    Free Member

We will give it another go. But on a different tandem.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

quote]

But on a different tandem
    [/quote][

Trek used to do one that was very good

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think the bike shop one must be an MTB one. She saw a few folk doing 10UTB on them, that’s what put the idea i her head. I’ll take her down Nessie on it (not a euphemism) – that’ll remove the idea from her head I’m sure.

Sundayjumper

It’s been a while, but last time we went out on ours we also had the sprog in a trailer on the back. Makes for a big rig. You get some very surprised looks from people 🙂

wwaswas

You get some very surprised looks from people

that’ll be stoker screaming at you to slow down 😉

tazzymtb

Should be riding the Dirty reiver next year on a 29+ SS tandem with a bloody lunatic, the downhill drifty corners are going to be pant pissingly funny

greencat
    Free Member

Went on holiday with a friend with a tandem. We were no longer friends by the end of it.

If you are the stronger of the two cyclists, it is blooming knackering and the one who isn’t will alternatively be terrified/frustrated by the speed/cadence you are using.

But on the rare occasions it all came together, blimey it could move…

Drac

It can make you quite argumentative.

MTB tandems are awesome.
    Here’s ours on a canal side picnic stop.
    Everything from getting on to changing gear takes practice, you can’t expect it all to go right first time.

Yak

A mate and I toured France on a tandem. Both same size and similar power. The tandem properly shifted and just machined through big day after big day. 🙂

But we had problems though, mostly under braking when we regularly snapped spokes. Fine on the drive side, but on the brake side we needed a whopper wrench to get the brake off to get a spoke in. So lots of unscheduled stops at garages to ask for a wrench.

Other than that, amazingly fast n’fun bikes.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you were nearer, I’d offer to pop round with mine. Mostly I’ve been on the back, with Fast Young Git doing all the work on the front. You don’t have a dag and bark y’self.

I recall the first time behind someone with the absolute confidence, the lightning reactions, the assured rapid healing and the immunity to pain of youth. I was screaming internally. Once he’d comprehended the longer wheelbase and stopped dragging me through bushes it went ok. I think you’ve missed most of that.

It gets better. It evens out your abilities and is very sociable. That’s a rigid c*nn*nd*le, btw. At my age I don’t feel the need for suss.

Enjoy.

schmiken

I love my Ventana, it’s seriously fun. Big bars are a must for off reading though, and you get loads of grip. Raced it at Battle on the Beach with a mate and it was awesome!

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant post tga! I don’t need to read any of the following posts. I’m laughing so much 😆

houndlegs
    Free Member

Me and Mrs H hired a tandem last year, blimey it was hard work. We were all over the place, it was a good job it was all off road cycle tracks. The best bit was, coming back, with about a mile to go, the front chain snapped, Mrs H could’nt pedal the both of us from the back, so we swapped places, but she could’nt steer, so we swapped back and she had to pedal and I had to scoot.
    T’was a good fun day out though.

Drac

Mountain Bike Tandemn you say.

Throwback: Tandemania

verses

I still remember, with equal parts hilarity and terror, the time I was on the back of Schmiken’s old tandem and he threw us, without hesitating or warning into a bomb-hole!

That Ventana looks ace though!

jamiesilo
    Free Member

is this a ruse to find out Tandemjeremy’s new forum name? : )

Drac

is this a ruse to find out Tandemjeremy’s new forum name? : )

TJAgain

neilthewheel

Ahem….
    Kok & Tvatt

jekkyl

Censorship comes to STW¿¡
    Is the word piss that offensive? There must be literally zero children who browse this forum.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

OP I felt like I was reading something out of a Jerome K Jerome nice!! Hahaha well done

project
    Free Member

From Twitter tonight.

GMP Stockport?Verified account
    @GMPStockport

Follow
    More
    Have you lost, or had a tandem bycicle stolen? We have recovered one in the Stockport area.
    Get in touch if it might be yours

Sgt Phil Lowe

Not his spelin of “BICYCLE”

Drac

Censorship comes to STW¿¡
    Is the word piss that offensive? There must be literally zero children who browse this forum.

Just not necessary in the title.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No offence intended

nickc

I’m surprised a certain mountain bike editor hasn’t joined the thread!

Drac

None taken GreatApe hence no warning just a tidy up. The forum automatically cleaned the URL up but for some reason not the actual title.

tjagain

MOrning. Tandems are fun! best fun ever on a bike. We did Ten under on the tandem a few years ago – maybe your wife saw us? there was another tandem team the year we did it as well.

They take some getting used to and a decent bike will help – you are more than welcome to borrow ours if you want another go.

newrobdob
    Free Member

My wife and I hired a nice quality tandem in SanFran when on hols but it didn’t work for us. My wife is 4’11”.and her face was literally behind my bum. Apart from the obvious real chance of choking on poisonous air it meant she couldn’t see anything at all unless she looked at right angles to herself. At least if you are closer in heright the stoker can see over the pilots shoulders – pretty essential on a sight seeing ride!
    It was a shame as we were used to the tandem in about half a mile but we went back and swapped it for 2 solo bikes for the ride round the bay.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers Drac.

Thanks TJ, very kind.

Dickyboy

@Newrobdob – Mrs dickyboy spends all her time looking around and photographing the view taking bugger all notice of what I’m up to, “did you see the ….” “look at that …” meanwhile I’m negotiating my way through traffic and trying to miss potholes.
    Tandems really are the marmite of the cycling world though, stopped at a cafe with our tandem buddies the other week and a table of cyclists next to us blathered on about how awful a contraption they are 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tandems, they can right off.’ is closed to new replies.