Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tandems
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a tandem of the CTW scheme. Don’t really know too much about them. Have to stick under £1000 limit, so was thinking this:

http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p44744/dawes-discovery-twin-2013-tandem.aspx

Does it look ok for a base model to upgrade over time? It has disc hubs, so will bung a set of hydraulic discs on it straight away (unless it’s a bad idea to run a hydraulic hose that length?), plus better saddles and a rack. Other than that, good to go? Better to go with 26″ wheels over 700c (presumably for strength, not that many 700c tandems that i can see anyway).

Size wise, I’m 186cm, wife is 175cm, so was thinking the larger of the two (21″/17″).

nbt

All looks good to me. We’ve got a dawes discovery that’s been upgraded with sus forks and so on. Be careful about hydraulic brakes though, check that it’s a good idea before you fit them to the rigid fork. No problems with hose length, we run avid code hydraulic brakes

TiRed

For the money, it will be a fine introduction. Heavy, but fine. Components will be weighty (note the steel bars). Thorn also do a good range, but may be more expensive. I have a 700C and a 26″ Dawes, and there isn’t a lot in it to be honest. I’ve also not had much problem with standard V brakes or cantis, but I don’t ride long dragging hills, so rim over-heating hasn’t been a problem. Upgrade the brakes when you’ve ridden them, but bear in mind that the shifters are integrated, so you might like to go down the route of BB7 cabled instead of buying new shifters.

Yes, you’ll need the large. And probably a new stem. Adjustable stoker stems come highly recommended too.

You could try Warlands Cycles in Botley, Oxford. Dealers in Landscape tandems (Pete Bird’s latest venture). See if they can supply something at budget. They have a lot of experience. As do Locks of Sandwich.

They are great fun, I just need another stoke or two (kids grew up, wife can’t cycle any more).

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Cheers guys, really good information. Will probably ride it a few times before making any changes anyway just to see how we get on.

So if we did go for new disc brakes, would have to factor in new standalone shifters (plus poss 10 or 9 speed cassette and mech if can’t get 24speed shifters easily, will check my parts bin). Don’t mind paying a few hundred to get it to a spec we are happy with, especially if it’s only costing £40 pm rather than an initial outlay of a grand!

So possibly:
    New bars/stems
    Set of hydraulic brakes (if fork can cope)
    New shifters/cassette/mech (if upgrade brakes to hydraulic, or keep same and use BB7s)
    Rack
    Saddles of our choice

That’s not too bad I suppose!

TiRed

Yes. I’d just get a set of BB7’s instead and settle for cable operation for now. I would also upgrade the bars and stems to fit. I’d leave the gears alone. 8 speed is OK, and my acera has always shifted flawlessly.

highlandman
    Free Member

We have a mildly modified Dawes Double Edge that we’ve used for a year and have put a fair mileage on, touring, commuting and general mucking about. Main changes so far have been fitting a DH bar, tiny bar ends and a strong stem, to better control the thing on fast corners, then a better saddle with Thudbuster ST for the stoker. The rear triangle is very rigid. I’ve drilled out all of the cable mounts and run a straight through cable outer to the rear mech, with two Middleburn oilers. This shifts way better now than when it was new.
    An observation about the brakes. I’d not put hydraulics on a tandem intended to go down road hills as the risk of boiling a brake is too high for me. I’m delighted with the cable Avids that came stock on this thing; with 200mm rotors both ends I can stop on a dime, even with the cargo trailer laden with several days worth of kit. So far, they’ve needed no more maintenance than a typical hydraulic and are certainly more reliable than conventional Avid hydraulics. Plus going with cables will save loads of money on the brakes themselves and the controls.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks guys, will just get some BB7 calipers and 200mm rotors instead then. Save me having to replace the entire drivechain!

Think I’ll start to organise the CTW paperwork this afternoon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tandems’ is closed to new replies.