Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tandem suspension forks
  • Dickyboy

I’m keen to get our old Dawes ready for some gentle offroading, can’t decide to go for Marzocchi DJ1 or DJ3 – DJ1 has aluminium steerer and 20mm axle whereas DJ3 has steel steerer and qr axle, we are 24 stone and will be bimbling rather than getting airborne – any advice or other options to consider.

SirHC

Old pair of dual crowns ? Boxxers, 888’s?

otsdr
    Free Member

Magura Boltron :).

Dickyboy

Wouldn’t the dual crowns have too much travel?

Dickyboy

Maguras are £999 and not available in 26″

wwaswas

I wouldn’t get too hung up on “26 inch” forks – it’s more about axle to crown as 27.5″ forks will accept 26″ tyres.

otsdr
    Free Member

Plus, it’s an upside-down fork… But probably the frame won’t easily take a tapered steerer either.

Dickyboy

Yup gotta be straight steerer and 26″ likely to have shorter axle to crown too

Dickyboy

Probably unwise but I think I may just try an old set of Reba forks and set the travel down to 85mm to see how we get on – existing a/c is only 410mm…

alcolepone
    Free Member

i’m selling this…

might be a good option
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2140337/

e150 fork with Wheel.. pretty sturdy…..

wwaswas

At 24 stone I’d be worried about

a) fork twang
    and
    b) air pressures: https://rockshox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205650058-Do-RockShox-forks-have-a-rider-weight-limit-

also rotor size limits or does it have rim brakes?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Second hand old set of double crown and tune down to shorter travel?

richard

We have DJ1s on our Cannondale tandem. I think the 20mm axle is worth it, otherwise there’s not much to choose between them. Our tandem came with a rigid QR fork, which was OK actually. It handled nicely, and the slackening off with the DJ1 is noticable, but doesn’t really affect the handling all that much. If you change to a 20mm axle fork, does that mean a new front wheel? Maybe that would help you decide.

DrP

For our tandem (many years old now, not ridded for AAAGES) I went for some Marz DJ1s, and got a steel steerer put in.

SHort travel, strong, and dual chamber air cylinders.

They’re a good bet..

DrP

Dickyboy

Richard & Dp – thanks for the input, looks like the DJ1 is the one to go for

schmiken

I’ve got some White Brothers tandem forks for sale, triple clamp, 20mm axle, I believe the only forks actually guaranteed for tandem use. Not using them anymore, and had probably 200 miles in total. Look like new. £85 plus postage?

tdog
    Free Member

MRP do one. But I would opt for 20mm boltthru for obvious reasons.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We have a DJ of ancient vintage on our hard tail tandem and it’s worked pretty well. Not a patch on the Stratos on the FS Ventana but that’s a whole different ballgame.

Dickyboy

Schmiken – not much detail on those online, can you email me some details – email in profile – travel, A to C, steerer length etc

schmiken

Yeah, will email over a load of photos tonight. They’ve just come off my Ventana El Conquistador.

DrP

Dicky…you local to the success coast at all?? You can give or forks a try??

DrP

Dickyboy

DrP – Sussex? Coast – born in Brighton but no longer local 😕

tjagain

DJ1 used to be the go to fork. Windwave used to press out the alloy steerer and put a steel one in for you.
    alcapones offer is a good one tho. They would do you nicely

We ran our cannondale hardtail tandem on a DJ1 with a steel steerer for a few years ( Bit of a mix and match job with two hard springs and air caps), now running a ‘zochhi z1 lite that I also had windwave fit a steel steerer to. This does lift the front of the bike very high but I don’t really notice the handling effects just not being able to get a foot down.

I wouldn’t like to run a tandem on an XC fork. The new moustache tandem runs a yaris but I don’t know if its modified.. Under heavy braking even with the Z1s you can see the fork bend back to the BB by an inch or two. Its scary amounts of forces.

As for weight – before we went on a two week tour of the Hebrides we stood on a weighbridge with the fully loaded tandem and trailer. Well over 200Kg total :-).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tandem suspension forks’ is closed to new replies.