Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tandem Hire – recommendations & tips
  • RustySpanner

Ms Spanner has a significant birthday coming up and has mentioned in the past that she quite fancies a hiring a tandem for a few days.

Any recommendations as to where to hire from (we’re Manchester/West Yorks based), or tips to keep us talking to each other and alive for the duration.

Is it too ambitious to try off-road first time out? We’re evenly matched skills and fitness wise, but both a bit stubborn – thinking of splitting the stoking 50/50 to minimise arguments!

singlespeedstu

Speak to JD Cycles in Ilkley.

They’ll let you take one out on test.

Not to ambitious at all to take one out off road first time. We did and ended up buying one it was such a laugh.

RustySpanner

Thanks Stu. Will contact them re weekend hire – lots of nice pubs with rooms round there.

Still have images of ‘Carry on Camping’ running through my head, and a strange desire to sing the Goodies theme tune (I know, it was a Trandem) but have seen a few positive posts on here – let’s give it a go.

Just out of interest, how do you go about storing/transporting your Tandem?
    Do you get enough use out of it to justify the faff and expense?

singlespeedstu

We’ve only had it for about a month but it’s getting plenty of use on our local trails. It gets used at least twice a week and with the wheels out goes on the back of the car no problem.

CHB

Second JD in Ilkley. Nice bunch of people, deserve the custom!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

3rd JD cycles.

Tips – communicate, make sure the stoker is comfy and don’t drop her! The captains role is to act as a good chauffeur should – a smooth undramatic ride.

We use ours a fair amount – averaging about 1500 miles a year or so. Its just fun. Bewre tho – if the bug bites it gets expensive.

singlespeedstu

Bewre tho – if the bug bites it gets expensive.

I think we’re just about to find this out. Why did we have to look at that Ventana…… 😯

domino

Never ridden a tandem but that doesn’t stop Jamie at JD’s from trying to persuade us. Give them a shout, they are lovely.

singlespeedstu

Jamie is indeed a top bloke when it comes to advice for tandem virgins.

Domino you really should give it a go. Mrs ssstu was dead set that she’d not like it but changed her mind as soon as we got offroad on it.

Hooter
    Free Member

From observation of lending mine out, couples either love or hate tandems. I think it all depends on their mutual levels of pig headed / control freakyness. Personally I love them, but I’ve seen some couples break down into a row within minutes of riding them. So seriously, try one out for a couple of hours before you head off for a few days :o)

If you’re going at the front, then lots of warnings to the stoker about whats coming up really help. Like “bump” means there’s a big bump coming up, similarly when you’re about to brake, stop, corner, change gear etc. Also make sure it has a suspension seatpost at the back.

We don’t use ours every week (a cannondale road tandem, very fast) but it’s always a blast. Also very useful for going out short to medium distances when you both want to have a drink.

twang
    Free Member

Rusty, I asked a similar question on here not so long back but with my 8 year old daughter as stoker. After some great advice and encouragement from above, hired one out for a few hours locally and I have to say it was superb fun. Did lots of singletrack stuff, twisty pixie trails even a (tame) bmx skills loop…mad! Kid loved it(well I think she did, she was singing most of the time – always a good sign) WANT ONE!!!

RustySpanner

Thanks to everyone for their advice – will call JD’s in the morning and have a chat.

I’m a newish poster on here, though I have met a few of you at races. I’m glad I signed up now!

ononeorange

Second SSStu – we hired one in Canada (off-road) and have now bought one – they are a real laugh! The first 15 minutes are a bit frustrating, but after that we haven’t stopped smiling. Try and enjoy. Just don’t cut any corners round trees.

tandemwarriors

Another thumbs up for JD, they even look after your greyhound while you go for a test ride! The staff & customers spoilt him rotten while we were out riding their Ventana, he didn’t want to leave!

SSS, you’d love that Ventana, you know it makes sense……….

Rob

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tandem Hire – recommendations & tips’ is closed to new replies.