Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tandem Forks some advice please…
  • crazant
    Free Member

I'm on my third set of triple clamp forks on my Mt800 Cannondale Tandem and i'm still not having much success,( ATC Z-5 from MTBtandems) so i'm thinking of changing to a single crown, the trouble is i have a very long headtube so need to keep the front end down, I have seen some Marzocchi Z1 Freerides which are 130mm travel but with ETA, if needed can i run the fork successfully with the ETA down a bit or is the ETA only a short term thing for climbing hills etc…
    Any other suggestions for Tandem forks ?

Thanks
    Anthony

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We run Marzochis Z1s on ours ( mt 800) at 150 mmm travel – suprisingly it has not ruined the handling or hill climbing. Other good forks are Dirt jumpers at 100 mm.

'zocchis are good because windwave can put a reinforced steel steerer in them for £40 ish and they are tandem rated

Macgyver

Run some Fox 36's on ours but generally keep the travel down to 100mm. I do open them up to the full 160 for some stuff but as TJ says the handling doesn't go all to cock like it would on a solo even though our bike geometry states 100mm forks. I put that down to the longer wheelbase.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We have just ended up with the bike very high at the front – front BB is nearly 17" from the ground with no sag and I cannot touch the ground from the seat.

Macgyver

Aye, I'll second the high front end/no feet on the deck from the saddle. You learn to ride very slowly/track stand to stay onboard at traffic lights and things. Ours has got high B/B's anyways and running the full 160 means I only just have enough goolie room. Not a problem getting going as I'll reach down and open up the forks up on the move. Mind you ground clearance is welcome when it gets a bit lumpy.

crazant
    Free Member

Thanks, i remember when we first got our Cannondale after having a Dawes, it just had the original Fatty forks on and i remember thinking how fantastic the handling felt with the front end low, I think thats why i want to keep the front end down..I suppose i'll gain an inch or so on top from not having the top crown on….
    What about the ETA ..safe to run slightly down all the time ?

Cheers

Macgyver

Dunno about zochi's but our Fox seem just fine kept in short travel mode.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tandem Forks some advice please…’ is closed to new replies.