Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tallboy vs Tallboy LT – will I need that much bike?
  • simonablett

Took out a Tallboy LT for 30min demo on Sat and loved it and think a FS 29er may help me consolidate the garage a bit and be an ideal bike for both mile munching South Downs duty and more technical, but rarely airborne, trail centre and foreign excursions 😆
    But do I need the LT or would the standard Tallboy be more than enough bike for a ‘tyres on the ground’ ‘horizon line avoiding’ type rider 😕 Anybody had experiences with both or similar?

GaryLake
    Free Member

See if you can try a Tallboy with a 120mm fork. Superisingly capable and if you tuck a Hans Dampf up front (it’ll fit in a Rev/F120) it’ll certainly surprise you. See also the Gyro…

shiny
    Free Member

The LTc is a stunning bike, rolls well, capable of off-the ground stuff, great on the downs and the extra travel makes a big difference. Mine is fitted with Flow EX rims and Ardent 2.25’s and roll brilliantly. The Pivot position is quite different and the shock movement feels endless with the CTD Kashima shock. My riding is mainly rocky, rooty, jungle trails here in malaysia so the bike gets a hammering. I would invest in one of the custom made bash guards from the guy on MTBR, at US$40 it was well worth it. Let me know by e-mail if you want pics of the build.

I am 5′ 8″ and ride the M

Cheers
    Shiny

p.s. I also have a Niner Air 9 carbon, a nicolai Helius AC – this is better rather than different!

paulevans
    Free Member

Did you demo the bikes up heere in the Lakes (Biketreks demo day?).

I’ve gone from a Tallboy C to a Tallboy LTc for the riding i do up here. The TB was fitted with 120mm fork and coped very well with a lads long weekend in the Alps last year. I can only expect though that the LTc would cope enven better and be more fun.

Interestingly, when i bought the TBc i also had a Nomad C. Neadless to say, the Nomad was sold shortly after as it wasn’t getting any use.

Anywhoo, if you ride rocks and roots i’d go for the TB LT. If you trails are smoother i’d look more towards the TB.

Paceman
    Free Member

ideal bike for both mile munching South Downs duty and more technical, but rarely airborne, trail centre and foreign excursions

A Tallboy running 120mm up front will be perfect.

simonablett

Thanks for the replies.
    As much as I like to get my teeth into technical riding, I have to face up to the fact that 70% of my riding is on the South Downs where I only need the FS for comfort not capability. That is why I am questioning the need for the LT…
    I currently have a carbon Jekyll (brilliant but bike has bigger balls than me 🙄 and too much bike for the South Downs really) and a 29er hardtail (surprised how capable it was in S Wales at weekend but demos on Ripley and Tallboy LT took comfort and speed to another level). The Jekyll rarely leaves the garage leaving me wondering why my ‘best’ bike isn’t suited to the majority of my riding… 😕
    By the sound of things a Tallboy with 120mm forks would cover most bases, plus there is a fighting chance of finding one second hand…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t really like boingy bikes but even I would get the TB LTC.

I demo’d the normal alloy TB and enjoyed it immensely, I had it for 2 days (thanks Stif) and has to be said gave it some Welly. It coped far better than I did.

I’m considering an TB LTC purchase as it goes, I may wait until the end of the year but as is I’ve chosen the bits to hang off it and now where to ride it.

charliemort

How’s about one of dem dere Divinci Atlas’ for £1100 (frame) at freeborn

110mm rear, up to 140mm up front, lifetime warranty

pjm84
    Free Member

Mate has a XXL Tallboy Carbon. Runs it with an Hans Dampf 2.35 up front / Racing Ralph on the rear and adjustable Talas Forks. Very capable machine.

gavrobb
    Free Member

If you’re considering selling the Jekyll then please let me know. Could be interested up here in the North of Scotland….

boxelder

TBc here with 120mm forks and a 1 deg slack set (bought SH like that). Loving it and easy to keep up with others on blur LTs. Lots of climbing here, which it’s fantastic at and think the LT would dent that capability.

singlespeedstu

What slackset has it got?

boxelder

Works components – you after one, cos I’m changing it I think.

singlespeedstu

I could well be.
    Drop us an email if you want to move it on please.

Paceman
    Free Member

Boxelder, have you tried your Tallboy both with and without the slackset? I’m interested in the difference it makes to feel of the bike.

the_lecht_rocks

Nicolai helius ac 29r well worth consideration or not available to you ?

boxelder

Paceman
    No – it’s a blast downhill, but a tad front wandery up.
    120mm on the 100mm designed frame too.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Boxelder, I’ll just stick with 120 up front I think.

Clink

simon ygm

austen

A late addition to the conversation, but may be useful for others searching later.

I test rode and LTa and TBc last week at Cwmcarn (thanks to Cadence in Bath). The TB was surprisingly capable, but the extra stability from the LT made it hilarious fun downhill and I could chuck it around at will. Uphill the LT was a bit wandery on steep little steps, whereas the TB would just shoot up anything.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to test them in the twisty singletrack at home, but then I tend to ride my SS in that terrain anyway. From the sections I did ride the LT isn’t quite as keen to turn, but was certainly more nimble than my current Heckler – win win.

Overall, for me, the (small) advantage of the TB uphill couldn’t come close to the (huge) advantage and fun factor of the LT downhill. Horses for courses.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tallboy vs Tallboy LT – will I need that much bike?’ is closed to new replies.