Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tallboy upper link pivot axel removal
  • Shred
    Free Member

My Tallboy lower link has play, so I want to remove the swing arm.
    I have recently had the swing arm replaced under warranty by my LBS.

I took it into the LBS, and they said the needed to order parts. Turns out it is the upper axels that they need, and they haven’t even checked to see what is needed with the bottom link.
    I took the bike home and decided to look at it myself.
    I removed the bolt and tapered washer, then tried the axel, but it is completely stripped. Everything I have tried has not worked at all.
    So what is the best way to get this axel out?

singlespeedstu

Have you undone the axle after you’ve taken the locking collet out?

Edit.

This should help you.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tech/tallboy_overhaul.php

Shred
    Free Member

That is what is stripped.

singlespeedstu

That is what is stripped.

The thread in the axle is stripped?
    or the allen bolt hole is rounded out?

Shred
    Free Member

The 5mm Allen bolt is round

singlespeedstu

Bang a Torx bit in there.

Shred
    Free Member

Not happening…

Any idea how big a drill bit I can use on the other side?

singlespeedstu

No idea.
    Maybe find a bit that just fits then keep going up in .5mm sizes until you’ve drilled deep enough into the thread to seperate the two bits.

b45her
    Free Member

common problem with santa cruz’s chocolate pivot bolts, i usd the hammer a torx wrench technique but make sure you can get the replacement pivot bolt first, santa cruz will try to sell you a £120+ “pro pack” for the sake of 1 bolt.. .

then sell the damn thing, my blur LTc was a creaking corroded mess after just 6 months of spring and summer use, the canyon i replaced it with is still silent and tight as a drum after 9 months of fairly heavy use through the winter and summer. yankie bling is no match for german design and engineering .

Wally

i suspect your LBS has messed up the 5mm allen hole on the warranty job. Having veey recently done the bearings on a SC I find it hard to imagine how you could strip the bolt, unless using wrong size ir attempting to remove play by supee tightening. The bolt should be screwed in headset tightness – ie very lightly.

Shred
    Free Member

I think you are right. It is in there crrazy tight.
    The crazy thing is I took the lower link off and everything seems fine. The bearings turn freely and when assembled, there is no movement at all that i can tell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tallboy upper link pivot axel removal’ is closed to new replies.