Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • tallboy equivalant
  • cocker
    Free Member

had a go on a santa cruz tallboy,last week and now i want one this year.
    i know they’re quite pricey
    are there any bikes similar out there,at more affordable prices?

cheers

oomidamon

I tried and liked a Tallboy (behave!) but I thought it was expensive for what it was. I bought a Trek Rumblefish Pro instead and heven’t regretted it. Take a look at the Trek Demo Sale site for some cheapish ones.

ahwiles
    Free Member

titus rockstar?

whyte m-109?

cocker
    Free Member

my LBS is a trek dealer,he has a rumblefish inthe sale,looks a good deal,
    btu then he showed me the fuel ex8 29er(2014) and that also took my eye.he also mentioned the superfly fs,but didnt have one in stock

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmm Trek them of the non standard shock stuff

what happens when that goes wrong then?

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Salsa Horsethief

cocker
    Free Member

i give in what goes wrong?

pete68
    Free Member

What about a a pivot 429. Its on my shortlist for next bike. 100 mm travel and can take a 120 fork as well.

ahwiles
    Free Member

cocker – Member

are there any bikes similar out there,at more affordable prices?

pete68 – Member

What about a a pivot 429…?

tallboy: £1800

pivot 429: £1900

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cocker – Member
    i give in what goes wrong?

It looks like one of those specific to trek mounted 2/3 of the way up the shock custom units. When it’s broke and they don’t make any what do you do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Missus has a TB2 alloy coming with the x01 group, looks great value too

chakaping
    Free Member

Whyte T129 seems v popular and genuinely good value.

scottalej
    Free Member

I’d consider the Rumblefish. I’m not a fan of the Fox fork and the rear shock needed setting up for my weight by Mojo but otherwise I’m very happy with mine. It has been well used over the last two years in all conditions covering over 1000 miles in the process with no issues.

pete68
    Free Member

Current stock of pivot 429 are £1550. So a £250 saving. Still a lot of money though.

singlespeedstu

I own a tallboy ltc.
    Mrs stu owns a remedy 29.
    I think the remedy rides very well and if i couldn’t have the tallboy i’d have no problem going for the remedy.

mrhoppy

Whyte t129, just bought mrs hoppy the s and it appears to be phenomenal vfm you can get the basic model for the price of the tallboy frame.

Chainline
    Free Member

Good geo on that there Remedy, short enough stays, good head angle, good shock curve, BB height is about right..hard to criticise really. As long as the bouncy bits and wheels are good your away…

Norco Shinobi if you can get one. It’s discontinued as Norco have gone 27.5 mad but a few are cropping up used in good nick. Ride really well and well reviewed by pretty much everyone, very much a dark horse in my view.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Canyon Spectral 29er? Been spending too much time looking at the web page. N+1…

cocker
    Free Member

i do fancy the camber 29er,i have the 26 version.
    but i’m really liking the rumblefish too,and there seems to be some good offers on at the minute,(although i wanted to wait while easter,mrs C wont be happy )

sillyoldman

I’m possibly selling my Rumblefish frame with the G2 offset Fox Float RLC fork. Size medium.

That of any interest?

cocker
    Free Member

thanks but i’d be looking at complete bike

sillyoldman

No worries.

rene59
    Free Member

Having previously had a Rumblefish I would have one over the Camber 29er that I had on test for a week. Both were good bikes but the Rumblefish edged it. Now on a Stumpjumper 29er I built up which has been great so far.

There are great offers on the Rumblefish at the minute, but it has been dropped this year by Trek as they now have the Fuel as a 29er, so if you leave it too long you may lose out!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The tallboy fir the missus should be dispatched on Monday, there was a delay due to the paint finish not passing final inspection, we saw the pics and it was nothing to worry about but they promised to replace the frame when the next one in that colour comes in to the country. Can’t fault that can you.

scottalej
    Free Member

Rumblefish Pro’s ex demo in most sizes direct from Trek £1950. RRP £3250.

http://www.trekdemosale.co.uk/

oomidamon

When it’s broke and they don’t make any what do you do?

Speak to Mojo I guess, like every other Fox owner.

cocker
    Free Member

spoke to my mate with the tallboy,
    his is not the long travel version,he;s got it to have a crack at endurance 12/24 hr stuff.
    he suggested something like the specialized epic.
    any thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

he suggested something like the specialized epic.
    any thoughts?

The Epic is an out and out race bike, for racing 🙂 If thats what you want then it will be great.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i stuck 140mm forks on my tallboy, its great

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you looked at Rocky? Does anyone bring them into the UK?
    http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/element/2014#/models/element-950-rsl
    Rode the Element and it was a nice bike (for a short travel XC bike) someone demoed it back to back with an epic, both good but the Rocky was more fun with the epic being race focused (harsh ride) options of Alloy/Carbon Front with alloy rear and full carbon frames.

cocker
    Free Member

thanks for the replies,
    defo dont want an out an out race bike,just something good for lond days.
    i like the rocky mountain though.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Specialized Camber Evo?

Paceman
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

The Tallboy with 120mm up front is fantastic, I’d be interested to try the 140mm. According to Santa Cruz the frame is strong enough for anything up to 140mm.

generallevi
    Free Member

+1 for Titus Rockstar. I have one and for £799 you can’t go wrong. Hand made in Portland USA, nice paint job. Absolutely rapid going uphill, not bad coming down considering its a 100mm bike.

Very long though in be TT. A medium is a fair old size.

All the best,
    Lee.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

According to Santa Cruz the frame is strong enough for anything up to 140mm

The us site says it’s good up to 140mm

Paceman
    Free Member

There’s a Salsa Horsethief frame in the classifieds, might be worth a look?

devs
    Free Member

I’ve got some Revs to do exactly this. Any reason why you did it?

boxelder

Mine’s at 120mm and just removed a +1 slackset (on when I got it). Feels quite low at the front, so would think 140mm might be fun.

Slackset available for £30 if anyone is interested – Works Components with Hope top bearing.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Any reason why you did it?

none at all, apart from why not?

the fronts quite tall, and im only 5’6″ however the stiffness of the 34’s over 32’s swung it,

its getting pikes by the end of the month, im almost tempted to fit 150’s and a zero stack lower cup

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘tallboy equivalant’ is closed to new replies.