Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tallboy 3 Owners Yay or Nay?
  • binno
    Free Member

I’m planning to pull the trigger on a tallboy 3 but just wanted to canvas some options from current owners.
    I’m also wondering if anyone has changed the shock out for either a tuned Debonair or CC-Inline?

TP
    Free Member

I’m about to pull the trigger too. I tested a few bikes and then did a few Cairngorm miles on a couple and, for me, it just feels right.

daern
    Free Member

I’m planning to pull the trigger on a tallboy 3 but just wanted to canvas some options from current owners.

Must be a few out there, but I’ve got a TB2 and I absolutely love it. The shorter travel suits my riding style to the ground and while I would like the ability to run 27.5+ (something that was added in the TB3) I’ve been more than happy romping around the woods on my TB2 all winter. It’s a blisteringly fast bike and with the right (i.e. lightweight) build kit, is amongst the lightest FS builds out there. My previous bike was a Pivot Mach 5.7 and the Tallboy feels much faster on the trails, although a bit less responsive round the corners as a result of its clown-wheels.

Mine has the stock Fox Factory shock option and I like it a great deal, although haven’t run anything different on the bike to compare with.

Won’t clutter the thread with more stuff as you specifically asked about the TB3, but shout if you want to know anything more. Short travel 29ers seems a rare breed on the trails these days, which is a real shame. Fashion, eh?

binno
    Free Member

anyone know if the stock fork can be bumped to 130mm and if the rear shock takes the evol can upgrade?

TP
    Free Member

In its 27.5 + version is runs 130mm I think and the bike I tested was running 130mm and 29er wheels.

binno
    Free Member

I now know that the base 29er model will not bump up to 130mm. The rear will take an Evol though which is good news.

heebyjeeby

Got a TB3 set up in 29er mode with 120 front 110 rear.
    It is a ‘blisteringly’ fast bike and I am pushing it harder and harder (well, within my limits at least!) with which it seems to be coping.
    I do sometimes feel as though the fox fork up front is getting overwhelmed by the speeds you can get up to, particularly on more technical terrain, and by the rear suspension (which incidentally, and not surprisingly for a short travel bike, I would not call wallowy) and am going to give it a go with a 130mm upgrade on the front fork.
    It is responsive on the climbs, extremely fast on open descents and capable (for its travel) on more technical descents.
    For general cross country riding with the odd bit of technical thrown in I don’t think you could go far wrong.
    Weight wise not sure where it sits exactly (have never weighed) but for a full suss it certainly feels towards the lighter end of the spectrum (barring going full on race bike).
    Just watch out for the sizing I would normally go medium but sized up and went for a large with a 50mm stem (medium seemed to come up a bit short)

sheck

Had mine 6 weeks or so… I wanted something that could do big rocky days out with Plus wheels and local fast-ish XC with 29 wheels. It replaced a 140mm FS and a Cotic Solaris

It is genuinely better at both disciplines than either of its predecessors

Have been running a 130mm Yari when Plus and a 120mm Pike for 29. Will almost certainly go with 130mm and just swap the wheels instead of wheels and fork.

Oh, and the grey/orange version sealed the deal for me!

binno
    Free Member

Finger wavering over the buy now button.

It’s a toss up between this an Evil Following for me right now.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Hmm, also interested in this thread. I currently own a TB 2 Carbon CC, it’s fairly blinged up so that I can use it for XC racing (approx 23 lbs) and as much as I dearly love it (it’s truely the best bike I’ve ever ridden) my heart is hankering after a TB3 CC…

The question for me however is how good the TB3 CC would be if built up to race XC, I’m not sure if it’s as capable as the TB2 for xc racing? On the more tech courses I would think the new frame would be superior but on flatter, less tech course I can’t see how it would as quick as the TB2.

Maybe the best option would be to keep my TB2 and build up a Hightower CC 29!? 😀

binno
    Free Member

Share you concern coming from a heavily trail modified TB1.5, which is an awesome bike.

I think I have to sacrifice something in the climbing speed to gain on the downs. Everything about the TB3 in theory reflects the aspects I’d want to tweak about the TB1.5. The increase in wheel base will make it slower to handle in the tight stuff but way more stable dropping in.

I pretty sure I don’t want to over bike with a Hightower, yet the Evil is very tempting at 120mm. Yet I suspect this will feel like it may be a move to far, from the remaining XC aspects of the TB3.

Nopt to mention the price difference favouring the Evil.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Binno – Yeah, same as me, I too have looked at The Following but the lack of Boost rear wheel spacing and a PF92 BB meant that I’ve crossed it off the list for now.

I imagine Evil will be releasing an updated Following frame soon with 148mm rear and a threaded BSA BB but not sure when that is scheduled for. I also wouldn’t consider using a Following for XC racing so for me it’d be nice in more of an N+1 manner as opposed to a swap the parts over to replace my TB2! 😀

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Following and absolutely love it.
    I have it set up more “trail” than “xc” and it weighs about 30lb with a Fox 36 Talas fork.
    Used it on 25+mile rides with no issues.
    It climbs and descends well and encourages silliness.
    Would have one again Ina flash.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tallboy 3 Owners Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.