Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • tall tarp configuration without trees ..simple and quick ….possible?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Basically i like to stop sometimes when out riding and get comfy/chill out on my helinox camp chair ( new tall version ) which requires 4ft of head height if covered.
    just wondered whether there’s a quick and easy tarp config that i could set up when its raining without the use of trees . presumably it’ll require poles so any recommendations for light options without breaking then bank.
    thanks in advance
    Bill

nedrapier

Just from having a think: what about front wheel off and used as a prop at the low end. High end: seatpost as far out of the frame as you fancy, bike standing on rear wheel & forks, guy-roped out either side for stability?

Depending on how much seatpost you’ve got in what size frame, you might get 4 foot? You might also have your feet in at the low end, looking at nothing but tarp.

Edit: or some poles from here: http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop/?product_cat=shelter

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks Ned
    I do have a large 29er with a long post but really don’t want to face the tarp!

towzer

loop over head via chair legs/back (*and I have no idea what your chair looks like) and could you use a spare inner tube (inflated) as the loop support

fishing bivvy or tent poles

or what about a poncho instead

JoeG
    Free Member

nedrapier

to be honest, if you want to face out, with your legs covered, with 4 foot clearance for your head, you’re either looking at quite a lot of pole to go with your tarp, an actual tent or

what about a poncho instead

And a Tilley hat.

I’ve just had a spin through the first few dozen images on google for “tilley hat” without seeing one I’d be happy endorsing, but wearing one of them in heavy rain makes being in heavy rain as pleasurable as full mudguards, or wellies and puddles and being 5.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Stuart at bearbonesbikepacking will make you the folding pole of your dream in either aluminium or carbon for a very reasonable price.

He will also provide you with sensible advice rather than just taking your money. He’s a good chap 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘tall tarp configuration without trees ..simple and quick ….possible?’ is closed to new replies.