Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tall people + reverb….quick opinions please>>>
  • walla24
    Free Member

Hello,
    simple question: do you find the 125mm travel enough?

RealMan
    Free Member

Put your saddle at pedalling height. Drop it 125mm. Have a go riding a descent. That will give you a pretty good idea if 125mm will be enough 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

easier said than done…i split/sold my bike to build a new one 😀

GW
    Free Member

what does being tall have to do with it?

Average height (5’11”) here and no 125mm drop is not enough.
    I normally run my 410mm seatpost at two heights – 310mm exposed for climbing and 140mm for everything else (except jumping where I’d slam it completely).

The new internal routed reverb is 150mm, give it a couple of years and we’ll have a useable range and more reliable droppers, who knows maybe eventually we’ll even have ones that hold a saddle without rotation.

Have a go riding a descent

it’s not simply about descending tho, it’s about getting the saddle out the way allowing you room to move around and control the bike better.

walla24
    Free Member

cool il be sticking with standard post then….until the new black mamba is released 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes/No/Maybe as usual.

All depends on the frame.
    If you have a “tall” frame then 125mm might be fine.

How much exposed seat post do/did you have – should be able to see the wear marks on the post.

Pook

I’m tall at 6’2″ and the reverb has completely changed my riding on descents and normal trails where I just want the saddle out of the way.

Can’t recommend them enough.

bol

I’m 6’4″ and find 125mm plenty, although I think I was expecting it to be more slammed than it is, I’m never going to ride anything that requires my saddle to be any further out of the way than it goes.

paul123
    Free Member

It’s not enough for me (6′ 2″) if I’m riding something more DH or jumpy than normal trails

mos

I’m 6’2″ & on my scandal its plenty, in fact it is approximately 125mm more than my previous seatpost.

stcolin
    Free Member

How did we get by before adjustable seat posts came along?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

st colin – Member
    How did we get by before adjustable seat posts came along?

By moving our seat posts

How did we get by before disc brakes were invented – with crap brakes

How did we get on before cars were invented – by walking

How did we get on before the internet???

Any others – some things actually make things better 🙂

fatboyjon

some things actually make things better

mikewsmith – get that printed on a t shirt and you could terrify ludites from down the street.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m Just over 6′ 1″ and I find the 125mm Reverb drop more than adequate on my large framed 160mm Nicolai Helius FR and 18″ Ragley Blue Pig. Both bikes get taken down some pretty steep rocky descents but I’ve never been the type to of rider that slams their seat right down, even on DH tracks, as I tend to use the saddle as another method of bike control so for me it’s good to have it around knee height when I’m heading downwards. Horses for courses and all that……

messiah
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters how tall you are it’s the terrain and how you like to ride which determines if 125mm is enough seatpost drop. IMHO and IMHE 125mm is enough for a lot of trails but I still use a QR with my Reverb’s so that when I’m hitting the real GNAR I can slam the post further… YMMV etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have a reverb on a 17″ Pitch. I usualy have it about 2″ above the lowest it could go so in theory a 170mm post would be ‘better’. However in reality 5″ is more than enough. I tired it completely slammed with a cut down normal post and although it worked better over dirtjumps in a straight line it didn’t feel as easy to controll as having it ~3″ higher with the reverb, if you go and watch a DH race very few of the riders actualy have their seatpost slammed.

Steve77
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and would like it to have more travel but love it all the same. I do find I occasionally drop/raise it like a normal seatpost from time to time though

clubber
    Free Member

125mm would be loads for me (6’5″). A slightly taller friend (who also has legs a fair bit longer) has a reverb and reckons it’s great.

messiah
    Free Member

There are times I really want the seatpost slammed 😯

TINAS… I can understand where your coming from about what the DH crowd do but they have the advantage of walking the course which is designed with bikes going through it in mind… not the same as coming into a section of steep techy trail and discovering it bears little resemblance to when you last rode it (especially at night).

I’m trying to break the habit of gripping the seatpost with my thighs/knees… this is what I used to do before I got a Reverb… I think it’s a bad habit and with the Reverb I’m now riding a lot more with the seatpost lowered (not slammed) and it feels great… but when the going gets GNAR slamming it the extra 60-80mm I have available makes a difference.

giantonagiant

6ft 7ins here and I get on fine with it, in fact I can’t say I’ve ever wished it went further.

Just right for getting it out of the way.

d45yth
    Free Member

A lot can depend on the frame size and your leg length. I’m tall but have short legs for my height…this means my reverb is about a mm from being all the way in after I’d already changed my saddle to a thinner one. I think there’s a lot of folk who wouldn’t be able to use a post with the standard 125mm drop never mind any more. I guess that’s why Rockshox fetched the 100mm out.

Speeder

I’ve only got 100mm on my Gravity dropper and don’t think I need any more. At that it goes from fully extended climbing mode down to directly between my knees with level pedals which is my DH saddle height. I’m only 5’8″ with 29″ inside legs though so not really representative. ;o)

IA

I get on fine with it, in fact I can’t say I’ve ever wished it went further.

6’4″ here and same,

walla24
    Free Member

wow definately split the group here, think I am going to have to build her up then decide…
    true though, you can still put the whole thing down with the seat clamp.

Thanks for the opinions!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tall people + reverb….quick opinions please>>>’ is closed to new replies.