Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Talking to yourself
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I have a horrible feeling this has been done recently but after catching myself doing it yet again, for the umpteenth time today I just wanted to check I’m not a weirdo.

“Well, if we’re going to the shops we’ll need milk, perhaps some rolls, dog’s out of Dentastix”.

That kind of thing.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m pretty much the only person I talk to. I like it that way.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Talking to myself is the only way to be sure of sensible conversation normally.

CountZero

I find having an appreciative, intelligent audience which is largely in aggreement with one’s own point of view helps things go much more smoothly.
    😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ha! My Mrs often says, ‘who you talking to’?

There’s a guy I worked with who everyone called, ‘Tony & Dave’.

You often get more sense out of yourself than you do out of anyone else!

lesgrandepotato

Probably depends whether you have a dog or not

dawson

I read the text within quotation marks in the style of Gollum/Smeagol.

Which in a way, seems quite apt

funkmasterp

I’m always talking to myself. Lived alone for years and developed the habit through that time I reckon.

thecaptain
    Free Member

They’re all mad, aren’t they? Yes, they are. I’d better keep an eye on them.

user-removed
    Free Member

Probably depends whether you have a dog or not

I do but even if I’m upstairs and he’s downstairs, I still do it.

Might as well face the oncoming storm of dementia, old age and infirmity.

This time of year always makes the prospect more acceptable though – when the outdoors is as lovely as it currently is, it really doesn’t matter that you forgot why you went into the garage.

lesgrandepotato

The location of the dog is not important. Deciding to buy dentastix for a dog you’ve invented. That’s weird.

user-removed
    Free Member

deciding to buy dentastix for a dog you’ve invented. That’s weird.

People are weird. I know I am but not quite odd enough to invent a dog!

Thank God for the everyday stoicism of dogs!

slowoldman

Quite often the only person worth talking to.

You’re quite normal.

LeeW

Perfectly normal, unless you’ve anthropomorphised an inanimate object. Like a paperclip, or mountain bike?

user-removed
    Free Member

Good to hear I haven’t turned into a character on a R4 show. Or a paperclip. Probably.

footflaps

I talk to myself, but it’s my subconscious doing the talking so it takes me completely by surprise. I have developed a weird response so that whenever I think of any event which triggers an emotion a random phrase comes out my mouth. The phrase is completely unrelated to the event.

Quite odd, but I’ve got used to it now. The wife is slowly getting used to it, but I still have to try and explain why I just said something and can’t.

fadda

I do it regularly. Then find myself telling myself, out loud, that I should stop doing it, or people will think I’m weird.

I’m quite old though, so “meh….”

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i call myself a ****ing ****head whenever i trip over, drop anything, break-stuff, do something wrong.

…usually at least once a day 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

I talk to myself all the time.

My wife and I also talk to dead people, she talks to the recently deceased as she’s dressing them, sorting out their stuff etc (she’s a nurse not a serial killer).

I talk to Dave (not his real name which I can’t remember) he’s the FIL of the lady we rent our house from. He died a couple of years ago but a lot of his stuff is still in my garage – he made all these little hooks to hang his gardening stuff from from frame of the steel and concrete garage, which I’ve repurposed to hang spare brake discs etc, but I always ask him first. I hate it when people love my stuff about in the garage, if there’s an after life I’m sure he’s be pissed off if I moved his stuff about without so much as a ‘by your leave’.

jwt
    Free Member

I was always told it’s answering yourself that’s the problem……….

councilof10
    Free Member

When I’m doing jobs at home on my own – cooking, gardening, DIY etc – I pretend I’m on telly like Monty Don or James Martin. I even put on the voice.

When I’m on the toilet, I like to read the marketing bilge on bottles of shampoo etc as if I’m doing the voice-over for an advert.

DezB
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow –
    i call myself a ****ing ****head whenever i trip over, drop anything, break-stuff, do something wrong.

…usually at least once a day

Ah yes. This is me. Especially when I lose bike bits in the garage. You know, those bits you remove, turn round to reinstall and YOU IDIOT! WHERE DID YOU PUT IT!???

mickmcd
    Free Member

always doing it, i only really have myself and the spiders in the workshop for company …and now its winter even they have shipped out

AlexSimon

I never talk to myself

AlexSimon

AlexSimon – Member

I never talk to myself Yes you do!

tomhoward

I used to talk to myself but he’s got through that phase now

nickhit3
    Free Member

my wife asked me too recently who i was talking to. I thought i was having a breakdown for 45 minutes until i remembered i was asking Siri to make a reminder. Which ironically, is pretty much like having a 21st century breakdown.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

We don’t think you are mad

user-removed
    Free Member

i only really have myself and the spiders in the workshop for company

Aye. The spiders in my garage just get sworn at – my problem, not theirs so I almost feel bad about it. They are *massive* though (Cave Spiders I think) and just love running up your arms and legs.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“Well, if we’re going to the shops we’ll need milk, perhaps some rolls, dog’s out of Dentastix”.

It’s not the talking too yourself that’s the problem there per se, it’s the talking to yourself in the plural.

binners

I don’t talk to myself. The voices in my head do. But that’s them, not me

garage-dweller

When you’re talking to yourself
    And nobody’s home

You probably went out for Dentastix

Coyote
    Free Member

I was always told it’s answering yourself that’s the problem…

😳

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Talking to yourself’ is closed to new replies.