Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Talking of twin cab pick-ups…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

… Does anyone know of companies that do the camper things that fit on the flatbed? What they’re called would be nice too. 😳

I’ve seen American companies, but haven’t seen anything that would fit an L200/Navarra/Ranger size vehicle.

Ta.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah they advertise in 4×4 mags – go to whsmith and have a browse 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Where’s the nearest WHSmiths to Garganta de los Montes, Madrid?

mtbfix

The generic term for them is fifth wheels. There my knowledge ends.

cozz
    Free Member

nah he does nt mean 5th wheels I thkn he means demountable cmapers

like this

donsimon
    Free Member

Yep. I mean demountable cmapers. Thanks.

Markie
    Free Member

And I think thought he means a “hard top”…

http://www.upcountry4x4.co.uk/mitsubishi_l200_long-bed/l200-accessories-long-bed-09.asp

http://www.4x4x4.com/accessories/tonneau/hardtop3.htm

Plenty around if I’m right even though I’m wrong – and you google ‘L200 “hard top”‘ just in case you change your mind.

Post edited after realising I was wrong. And looking at the demountable camper as opposed to what I suggested, no wonder camping trips spent in my cousin’s pickup always sucked.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nope, I meant demountable cmapers. 😉

Anyone have one? What are they like for camping? Useful or just good in theory?

5thElefant
    Free Member

One of these?

They’re called demountable campers. £15k-£20k-ish new or can be had second hand pretty easily. There’s usually one on ebay on any given week.

Pretty much anything for sale in the UK will fit UK style pickups (they’ll say if they won’t).

mute
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

That’s perfect, cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

See the caravan thread.

Those things look a nightmare. Every time I’ve seen one in the UK they’re wobbling around all over the place and the suspension’s soft as hell on the truck.

And they look tiny inside. The only use I can imagine for one of those is if you had to really off-road to get where you wanted to go. And you really beefed up your truck.

cozz
    Free Member

need heavy duty springs on the back really id say

5thElefant
    Free Member

Those things look a nightmare. Every time I’ve seen one in the UK they’re wobbling around all over the place and the suspension’s soft as hell on the truck.

You need airride suspension. Pneumatic helper suspension that you just air-up to cancel the weight out. No wobbling.

And they look tiny inside.

Nope. They’re remarkably big, similar to a small camper van. Unlike a small camper you dont have to convert the seats into a bed – the bed is always made up.

The only use I can imagine for one of those is if you had to really off-road to get where you wanted to go. And you really beefed up your truck.

Nope. More like all the benefits of a caravan and a camper van without the downsides of either. And yes, you could go off road if you don’t mind your beer being shaken up. More realistically you can go down (and reverse up) country lanes that you really wouldn’t take a caravan.

donsimon
    Free Member

More realistically you can go down (and reverse up) country lanes that you really wouldn’t take a caravan.

Or learn to reverse with a trailer/caravan which isn’t difficult.

Would you need to upgrade suspension for one of these?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Or learn to reverse with a trailer/caravan which isn’t difficult.

Towed races bikes for years, mostly to remote enduro races on crappy lanes. It’s not difficult, just unpleasant, inconvenient and slow.

Yes. You’d want helper suspension on those. Not expensive though:

EDIT wrong URL. This is the right one: http://airide.co.uk/

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Those prices are a bit better. 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

the Nene ones looked the best from when I was looking into them, the main advantage is the weight-300kg due to the pop up roof rather than a solid height panel. Also helps with cross winds. V expensive though-consider a Howling Moon rooftent instead?

Suspension wise-if its a Defender then change the coil springs/fit 130 or Camel spec helper springs, for Jap stuff (probably leaf springs) then as above airbag helper springs-see Matt Savage
    http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/copy_of_Leaf_Springs.html

molgrips
    Free Member

More like all the benefits of a caravan

Apart from some space to move around. They are way smaller than a caravan. I think they’d be third on my list behind campervan/caravan 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

A bit of inspiration for you-Oz style, all demountable.

iDave
    Free Member

Damn, it’s this kind of thread that makes me realise I’m not having enough fun

5thElefant
    Free Member

the Nene ones looked the best from when I was looking into them, the main advantage is the weight-300kg due to the pop up roof rather than a solid height panel. Also helps with cross winds.

Interestingly… cross winds don’t seem to have any effect. I’ve followed vans and caravans that have been suffering in cross winds and not felt a thing. Not entirely sure how that works.

I’d guess mpg will be better with the pop-ups. Less weight and lower frontal area. Mine drops from 34mpg to 24mpg.

nicko74

That blinged-up Landcruiser reminded me of a mad Frenchman I met in Samarkand – I guess his was less ‘demountable’ as cmapers (sic) go, but he’d apparently lived in it for 9 years. Had a small business in France that paid the bills, and had spent several years driving round Africa, then driven up to Central Asia. Not great with people, I have to say, but I guess that’s the effect of driving around by yourself for years!
    Still, I’d have one if I had the cash.

donsimon
    Free Member

Had a small business in France that paid the bills, and had spent several years driving round Africa, then driven up to Central Asia. Not great with people, I have to say, but I guess that’s the effect of driving around by yourself for years!

I like this guy already. 😉

@RustyNissanPrairie, I’m salivating…

RustyNissanPrairie

what about the rooftent route? not quite sure how it would mount on a pick up? maybe one of those hardtop style roof canopies with a roofrack on that?
    pic of ours on my 110 set up at Silverstone last year;

there were a couple with an Isuzu Rodeo (?) -dual cab pickup that they’d driven from Oz, on our campsite who had the same Howling Moon setup as ours-cant remember how he’d mounted it though but its do able. Quick to put up (less than 5 mins) additional zip on room for when your base camping, cheaper, lighter, hold their money better than a demountable. Depends where and what your planning to do trip wise.

RustyNissanPrairie

@RustyNissanPrairie, I’m salivating…

a few more then its back to the OP!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5thElefant
    Free Member

what about the rooftent route?

My old rooftent setup.

A very different proposition. Like comparing a tent with a caravan I guess.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve looked at roof tents as an option and it’s a possibility. I haven’t decided on the vehicle yet, which of course will affect tent/desmountable! 😕

RustyNissanPrairie

don simon – Member

I haven’t decided on the vehicle yet, which of course will affect tent/desmountable!

Defender 110. end of.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s the top of the list, twin cab or station wagon? I have a potential business idea where a 9-seater would be better than a pick-up unless I can fit more seats (legally) in a pick-up… Then there’s the LandCruiser or…… 😆

RustyNissanPrairie

twin cab 110’s IMHO are pretty useless-the load area isnt really big enough to do anything with unless you get a 130 which has the HCPU load bed but then they’re the length of oil tankers and have a corresponding turning circle. A 130 will only legally seat 6 though if you include the centre front seat.
    You’re not going to find a 9 seat anything AND fit a demountable camper.

The thing is though with a Defender-as long as you buy a decent one, even if it dosnt fit your needs, you wont loose anything hardly if you sell it.

partyboy
    Free Member

Wow, one easy step to make a **** vehicle even more **** 🙄

RustyNissanPrairie

which **** vehicle are you refering to?

partyboy
    Free Member

L200/Navarra/Ranger of course

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Talking of twin cab pick-ups…’ is closed to new replies.