Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about……sealed bearings
  • strike
    Free Member

Just interested on what people’s experiences are with using branded stainless (eg SKF) bearings, as opposed to chromed bearings. I’m using the bearings in the rear linkages of my FS bike, so the bearings aren’t going through full 360degrees (and probably turning no more than 90degrees).

I’ve used SKF and RHP stainless bearings, cheapo (but still boxed/branded) Chinese bearings, and have now started using some loose (un-boxed) bearings. The branded and x-brand bearings seemed to be having the same life span, and I’m sure I’ve read before that in a linkage application, the differances aren’t apparent/worth the extra cost.

Your thoughts please!

tomaso
    Free Member

SKF bearings were always a top choice for my skateboarding days.

Timken bearings are top notch and made in sunny Wolverhampton. They make some of the most advanced bearings in the world for things like the Space Shuttle doors. You can get them in sizes that fit mtbs.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You’d benefit from good quality bearings if you were spinning the races through full revolutions at x thousand rpm.

I’ve now gone towards cheap bearings in suspension, well packed with heavy grease. OK so far but only time will tell. Sealing of most “-2RS” bearing seams comparable.

I’m also trying cheap cartridge bearings in both bikes’ wheelsets at the moment. Again I suspect that good sealing and grease retention qualities will probably have a more significant impact than branding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

For pivots, I like to use Enduro max bearings. They suck for bottom brackets and hubs but for rocking rather then spinning they seem pretty good. They do away with the bearing carrier and use a greater number of bigger balls. This gives a better load carrying capacity for the low mnovement application. I life the seals and pack with thick grease (silkolene RG2 normally).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheep BB, hub and pedal bearings seem to die in minutes, SKF seem to last indefinately and it’ll usualy be one particulatly crap ride that kills them off after 2+ years (ab)use.

Pivots I’ve not replaced enough sets on the same bike to give any meaningfull oppinion beyond that I use enduro/MAX/Full compliment style bearings and stick with known brands as from an engineering perspective they make the most sense untill someone figures out how to fit turner style bushings into bearing sized holes.

At the end of the day a set of bearings from SKF is what, £50 for a 4-bar style bike or £25 for a set of BB, 20mm front hub or single pivot bearings? I’d rather be out riding, so £50 once a year seems really good VFM if it means I can get in 2-3 more rides over the year rather than replace the bearings 2-3 times and still have to shell out £10-£20 for each cheep set anyway.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Irrespective of quality, my bearings fail from moisture and contaminant ingress and subsequent accelerated wear.

In this regard, I’ve found little difference between high and low quality bearings, other than quality of grease and sealing. A good thick/waterproof grease in either will make them last markedly longer IME.

Stainless raise the bar on longevity because although ultimately they’re softer than regular bearing steel, they don’t corrode and therefore don’t go rough and notchy.

I repack my headset, hub and pedal bearings about once a year, generally before winter proper starts, and my BB whenever it needs it, but thats easy, since I’ve a CK BB with the grease applicator tool.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

anyone who watched coast the other night will know all too well .
    buy skf & have done with it .swedish bearing quality .

uplink
    Free Member

There won’t be any discernible difference in the performance between any of the top brands

The very cheap ones may [or may not] last for you, I’ve had mixed results including a totally collapsed hub bearing miles from anywhere

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about……sealed bearings’ is closed to new replies.