Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Talk to me about…..pocket money for a 6 y.o.
  • dazzlingboy

Our daughter has turned 6 and has started talking about pocket money – obviously some kids at school are getting it and she reckons she’s missing out. We haven’t really thought about it at all – in the dark here!

So – what age did you start doling it out, and how much do you reckon is fair for a 6 year old? What about the “doing chores for money” route? I think that might work for topping up, but I think it’s a bit tight expecting her to earn 100% of her pocket money. What do others think?

tomhoward

Send ‘er darn’t pit?

mrchrispy

Our lad is 7 and I’m thinking about it, realistically it’ll be a year or so I reckon…..and the he’ll have to work for it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deserter
    Free Member

for actual cash in hand we have always made the little fella do chores, but they are easy ones like keep your bedroom clean, feed the dog stuff like that, tbh he doesn’t really need money though but it makes him feel independent

benji
    Free Member

Whatever you do make sure you let them have some, never had any as a child and for many years my money management was utter rubbish, to the point I was 20k in debt at one point, thankfully not like that now.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I give my kids £2 a week. I did it to stop them asking for everything they see when we enter a shop. Now I say *Yes, buy it with your pocket money *
    It’s made them much more canny, with their money. My son will often spend a £1 and save a £1.

My kids are 6,8 and 10.

BillMC

I’ve heard of people giving (older kids) pocket money at 3 month or even annual intervals. Apparently none of them had money management issues as young adults.

loddrik
    Free Member

My daughters get £2 quid a week each (3 & 7)

I just want them to save really, I’m shite with money and always have been, I don’t want them to be the same.

sleepless
    Free Member

our two of had it since 5 for keeping their rooms tidy,(and now 9+11) taking the dog out, sorting the dishwasher and feeding the birds and chickens. They are loaded and when they lend us cash they charge me lending rates.

franksinatra

My girls (5 and 7) get pocket money, like others have said, they have to do some simple jobs first.

It really helps them understand the value of stuff. In Sainsburys the other day the 5 year old wanted a necklace that she saw. It was £4 and I said no. She then used her pocket money for it but, more importantly, she really thought about it first. She actually worked out if it was worth £4 to her. I’m sure she is also more proud of it now knowing that she used her money (she certainly tells people she paid for it)

fatmax

My lad started to get pocket money when he started school a couple of years back, aged 5. We used to spunk too much cash on kids magazines and shit stuff, and also wanted to teach him some money management.
    We use it as a carrot and stick. He gets £1 a week to start with, and if he’s well behaved that’s what he gets on a Saturday. If he’s badly behaved in any way, he loses it in increments. We just ask him to tody up, set the dinner table etc
    We’ve found he really dislikes losing any cash, and he is also becoming good at saving for small toys, treats for himself. It seems to work for him / us, and I think he’s starting to learn the value of cash.
    Our wee girl started school a couple of weeks back and so she needs to start getting her pocket money – it’ll be interesting to see if she buys into it quite so well!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Horace, our eldest, has an allowance of £150 per week. Originally we thought this was too much and so we started him on just £100 per week but Polo ponies are just so expensive, what with farrier fees, stabling and membership so we simply had to increase his allowance.

He does work for it though and I feel it’s important to instil a sense of duty and reward in ones inheritors. Horace regularly informs on staff members who aren’t pulling their weight and you can often find him in the parlor whipping the other servants into shape.

It’s comforting to know that ones off spring are developing such a strong work ethic (in others of course).

MoreCashThanDash

My two are 10 and 6

Since they started school at 4, in laws have given them both pocket money. Gets reviewed on birthdays.

It was all arranged between the Mrs and her parents. I had a hissy fit initially as they were being a lump sum every 6 weeks when they see granny, and I was worried they just blow it on sweets and nonsense.

Luckily they seem to have a good grasp of money and value*, and are happy to save up for stuff they really want rather than blow it on short term tooth decay, so I’ve stopped worrying.

Little one is happy to help round the house if we ask her to. 10 year old is rehearsing for his grunting teenage years and needs prompting, but we have warned him that this is his last year at primary school so we will expect him to step up and pull his weight a bit more this year to help his growing independence. It would be a grey area if we tried to withhold pocket money as a punishment though.

*They’ve probably hear the rows about bike purchases…..

thomsonru84

Just starting to give my 2 (5 & 7) pocket money on a reward / loss basis. Giving them £2 a week but they can lose it incrementally if they don’t do their basic chores / good behaviour. Hopefully teach them they have to “earn” money and not to just expect handouts each week without being to difficult for them to get it.
    We’ll see how it goes over the next few weeks…

Inbred456
    Free Member

11yr old son gets £2/wk. He is expected to do some chores etc around the house. Mainly popping to the shop and loading unloading dishwasher and putting his clothes in the washing basket. He normally lets it accrue and then informs us to the penny how much we owe him when he wants something expensive.

transporter13
    Free Member

Ours have to do various chores ranging from mowing the lawn to helping wash up and hoovering. For this they they get a set amount for each chore. Each chore has its own value.

Strangely enough. Mowing the lawn and hoovering seems to be the most desirable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about…..pocket money for a 6 y.o.’ is closed to new replies.