Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about…………CX brakes, canti-type not disc and tyre width
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Making the first foray into CX-ing this winter and wonder what the stw massif recommends for training and racing…..money is an object £80 max i’d say….

i like the look of these….. http://www.probikekit.com/uk/trp-cx9-linear-brake-set.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=google_base_gbp rather than the traditional frogleg type, am i barking up the wrong tree?

Also any advice for tyre width (muddy Scottish conditions)?

thanks in advance

JB

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes! You are barking up the wrong tree! 🙂

Those ones that you posted will drive you mad!!!

The beauty of the frogs leg type is that they sit well away from the rim when not in use. They are easy to set up and work well.

The ones that you post a link to are like the old V brakes. They sit too close to the rim, and don’t modulate well.

HTH.
    SB

jonba
    Free Member

I ran mini vees like those for racing until it got muddy. They just collected mud and brought me to a standstill (in the last race with them on I had to take them off mid race.

Cantis work for racing – but I’ve just bought a bike with discs.

Digger90
    Free Member

epo-aholic,

If yer looking for some I have a pair of genuine Frogglegs you can have for £20 posted (have had a minor mod done on them to make them easier to adjust). Black.

Or, if you want to go Bling (these are over your budget but are DEFINITELY worth it) I have a set of virtually new, hardly used, Avid Shorty Ultimates complete in original boxes/packaging for £110 posted,

email in profile if interested.

Also, I can answer any question you like about CX canti’s if you want – I’ve owned a great many sets over the years (have been racing CX for 20+ years now!)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Digger90 – cheers fella, i’ll ping you over an email…. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you care to wander on over to the CTC forum you will find chapter and verse on this sort of thing. It will conclude that mini V’s give the best stopping but ignoring that, the reams of stuff on set up is interesting if a bit deep. Sheldon is referenced many times as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about…………CX brakes, canti-type not disc and tyre width’ is closed to new replies.