Viewing 24 posts - 361 through 384 (of 384 total)
  • Talk to me about your experiences with depression.
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Barnes is talking from an entirely personal and subjective point of view BUT it sounds like he isn’t.

I am at a loss to understand why I might be considered some kind of objective authority! I would be suspicious of anyone claiming not to be personal and subjective!

Anyway we have the shining example of TJ to put us back on the path to righteousness (or misery ?) …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB – at no point have I been at all prescriptive about what people should and shouldn’t do – one of the basic mistakes you have made is to be prescriptive based on your own experiences. This is very unhelpful.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am at a loss to understand why I might be considered some kind of objective authority!

No, you weren’t. It looked like you were making out that your idea was all that’s needed. I get where you’re coming from now, but TJ doesn’t. Cos that would mean changing his point of view, of which he is incapable 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Good god are you still going?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – I completely understand what SFB is all about on this. NO need to change my viewpoint at all. Totally clear and obvious right from the start.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Doesnt prozac fix everybody’s woes?? D’oh!

sharki
    Free Member

And somewhere out there in a parallel universe TJ and SFB are dry humping each other and without one disagreement to whom should be the dominant one..

Meanwhile on earth as we know it, no such of them seeing eye to eye(no pun intended)

DaRC_L

Torminalis +1 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

one of the basic mistakes you have made is to be prescriptive based on your own experiences

unless you can find a quote to the contrary, I think all I said about CBT’s applicability was “this worked for me, and it may for you too”. As far as I’m concerned it’s not about being right or wrong but exploring the possibilities

yunki
    Free Member

it’s not about being right or wrong but exploring the possibilities

I think this is fundamental in combatting depression..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I completely understand what SFB is all about on this. NO need to change my viewpoint at all. Totally clear and obvious right from the start.

TJ understands sociopaths always spout nonsense…

duckman

Back to the original post without trawling through nine pages,beating depression has been focusing on the positives for me.It was a culmative series of events which got me,over several years,and each little worry built on the next one until they self fuelled.I decided to kill myself,and was lucky that the police arrived when they did.Looking back on that,less than 6 months on I could not imagine being as low as that again.For me,it is looking at the positives,I have spoken to a professional on a more or less weekly basis and admitting that everything was not all right and MTFU was no longer an option was the biggest relief I have felt in a very long time.Good luck,and I hope you get better.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

beating depression has been focusing on the positives for me

yes, I suppose that’s it in essence. CBT provides techniques for systematising this, which can be very helpful, though I’m sure TJ will want to point out that more severe or intractable cases may require drug therapy too. As for luck, I’d rather not have to rely on that – I think we all have a right to a happy life!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB can you read? There is more than CBT and drugs to treate depression. What treatments suit individuals is complex and multifactorial. CBT does not “provides techniques for systematising this” Yoru therapist / self help book does this. CBT is a technique which can be used in multiple ways is a variety of conditions.

Fundercloud
    Free Member

Simon I am getting fed up of your threads here,There are people like myself and duckman with past experience of a “serious” mental health issue.Your persistent responses offer little comfort, or constructive advice, on what could be an opportunity,(for the op) to help sufferers anonymously.

There are both professionals, and sufferers on here that offer excellent life experiences,you are not helping your reputation as what I think you should be,as an “ambassador for our sport”.

If you wish to continue denouncing yourself and others,by this irresponsible behaviour then so be it,you are not doing yourself any favours imo, 😥

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB can you read?

I use intuition instead.

There is more than CBT and drugs to treate depression

if you say so. I never claimed otherwise but can hardly comment on things I don’t know about. If you mean “talking therapies” IMO they are totally pointless for depression and only encourage the condition to persist through dependency.

Yoru therapist / self help book does this. CBT is a technique which can be used in multiple ways is a variety of conditions.

I bow to your superior knowledge, assuming you haven’t just made it up. We sociopaths are notoriously sceptical.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CBT is one of the “talking therapies”. Just one amongst many. It has its place.

I like the way you denounce as useless something you know nothing about.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

CBT is one of the “talking therapies”.

I think of it as a “doing therapy”. It doesn’t make a noise when I do it.

I like the way you denounce as useless something you know nothing about.

I talked to therapists about my depression for years and it only made a difference during and for an hour or so after. I liked the way you dismissed my recovery as denial and emotional stunting 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Any of you ever read a book called “Why Zebra Don’t Get Ulcers”? The guy makes an excellent point that the reason that we get mentally stressed so much (an it’s resultant mental health effects) is that we don’t get physically stressed as much as we perhaps need to be.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Get a room, you two.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Get a room, you two.

that reminds me of the nauseating scene of Borat naked wrestling a fat man in a motel 🙁

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Thought i’d give you all a quick update. Took a couple of weeks off, changed my diet, changed the way I think about a couple of things and am currently feeling better than I have in a long time. Hopefully it’s a state that lasts.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Good man Zulus!

Fingers crossed that you stay that way 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Still doing good. 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 361 through 384 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about your experiences with depression.’ is closed to new replies.