Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Talk to me about your 456 builds
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am intrigued by a 456 and would probably buy a frame and swap parts form my full sus for a few weeks to try it out and see if the hype is true!!

What length stem are you using? i am 6ft 1 with a 33" inseam – what size would i be looking at?

Forks wise it would be 11/120/140mm Fox talas

Jamie
    Free Member

i am 6ft 1 with a 33" inseam – what size would i be looking at?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers that is spot on thanks 🙂

cp

I'm a nats under 6ft, and same, if not slightly longer inside leg. I ride an 18" with a 60/90mm stem depending if I want all day xc or hammertime. It tends to vary depending on build…

Up until a few months ago, it had 100-120-140 TALAS on, which suit the frame really well. 100 only really for steep uphill, 120 for most stuff, and 140 for steep/fast rocky mostly straight downs. Built with a mainly xc set up of Hope XC/Mavic 717 rims, twelfty seatpost, very wide on-one 2" rise bars, 2.1" maxxis AdVantage tyres…

It's now in winter/bombproof hack mode after all the bits went on the summer Hemlock… now fully rigid singlespeed with 460mm kona project 2's, deore hubs/223 rims…. back to a 90mm stem. and it's great in that build too!!

They are so so versatile – even done some mini tours on it with slicks and a pannier rack 🙂

oh, and xc raced.

poppa
    Free Member

18" for 'more chuckable' 20" for all day XC?

I am 5'10.5" with 33" inside leg – I ride an 18" with a 400mm seatpost. I can ride XC on it, but I don't think I would be able to do so comfortably if the frame was smaller, or I was taller.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm a compressed disc short of 6ft here, riding, until recently a 16" that was originally intended as my arsing-about-in-the-woods bike, with some 145mm nixons up front and a 2×9 setup and a 410mm thomson post.

It sort of took over all my riding duties and morphed to a singlespeed last year and then lost the big fork – replaced with a 120mm reba.

My mileage has gone up with typical rides between 45-60km and as the length crept up, so did my awareness that the cockpit was a little short for that short of thing.

I've now aquired the ti version, but in an 18" flavour to improve cockpit length and reduce weight.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im a few rides into mine and its pretty good tbh. I went for a 16 instead of the recommended 18 for my 6' height as the 18 felt a bit too long for my normal riding but would be better if I did long all day rides. Uturn Pikes they normally just sit at 140 and it climbs better than any previous bike even with the 70mm stem. When I go to the Peaks/Wales on it I will be using the Uturn for the very steep and long climbs but it isnt needed for cannock.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Get an 18", top tube length difference will be small, and a 20" will look like a gate. 🙂
    I had a 16" at 5'10" with long arms, with 65mm stem and no layback post but the seat back in the rails a bit. Was a bit wheelie prone when climbing, hence the longer stem on my new slotty inbred.

You have to spec them pretty bling to get the weight much below 30lb though, so don't expect it to be a rocketship up hills unless you've got deep pockets (or suspect scales :D). Quick downhill with 140mm pikes on though.

I got rid of mine as most of my riding is in the Purbecks with plenty of climbing, and the trade off for 5 minutes fun downhill was the hour and a half climbing each ride to get up there in the first place.

clubber
    Free Member

I'm 6'5", 35" inside leg (trousers not actual)

I rode a 20" 456 with 100mm stem, 400mm seatpost with layback and 130mm RS Revelation and it felt pretty spot on.

Shandy
    Free Member

I would go for a 20" to be honest, running a short stem. I am a wee bit taller than you but I still felt a bit cramped on the 18". If you are using Talas anyway you can sharpen up the handling by running them at 120 on the flat.

br
    Free Member

6'2" and 34" inside leg.

20" with 90mm stem and a 350mm post running 140mm Magura Thors.

Mainly XC, trailriding and Enduros plus Trail-Centres.

IHN

6'1", 33/34" leg, had an 18", um'd and ah'd for about four years about whether it was a bit small, bought a 20" and realised that I should have had that all along. Less falling over the front on downs and wheelying on the ups and still entirely throw-about-able.

70mm stem, hi rise Easton bars, 440mm post but most of that is now in the frame (unlike how it was on the 18"), 130mm Revs.

Dancake
    Free Member

IM 5'11"

Ride an 18" with on ones own 60mm stem (quite steep)

140mm forks and 2.5" minions. Fits me well

My mate who is a lot taller than me rides an 18" with a long stem and 120mm forks . Feels like a completely different bike

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I went for a 16 instead of the recommended 18 for my 6' height

😯

5'11" here and a 18 with a 70mm stem. Ideal for the riding I usually do.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It all depends on what our usual types of riding are doesnt it reggie. I also prefer the bike to be shorter for dicking around purposes. Like I said If i did all day rides I would get a larger size.

The thought of 6ft drops on a 20" makes me swallow hard!

clubber
    Free Member

The thought of 6ft drops on any bike makes me swallow hard! 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

Suppose a Pic is in order?

warton
    Free Member

I'm 5 10 and I went with an 18, only running a 250mm post though, which I may change to longer with 70mm stem

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about your 456 builds’ is closed to new replies.