Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about working cockers
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

Who has/had one what did you think of them as a family dog. This one is 3 yrs old house trained but needs a new home due to the owners marriage failing and needing to move into rented accommodation.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Got two working Cockers. Need a lot more exercise than most other breeds of this size. Not a good trail hound as they will get distracted by scents as they go. Although mine to love to hunt at at bike pace. Which is what it really turns into.

Very tough and seemingly immune to pokes they receive from kids when they were smaller.

Can often be a “one person” dog which is SWMBO is our case.

Bright and easy to train but hell on earth if they have bad habits already.

Three is around the turning point when they begin the slow decent from the plateaus of insanity. This finishes when they about ten or they shuffle of peacefully.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Luckily I have an outdoor job so will be out all day with me, or at home going for walks with my wife and little one. This one is used to being left at home all day while current owner is at work, sounds pretty chilled out although as you say maybe its just where it may changes being 3.

Any pics of yours?

br
    Free Member

Great dogs, ours is 6 y/o old now.

Ours is a great trail dog too, whether walking or cycling as he doesn’t want to be out of eyesight of us – so always near. No medical issues either.

Don’t worry so much about exercise, feed less if too manic. He’s quite happy whether he’s on the go, or will sleep all day if you let him.

One thing though, solid (ours is a liver roan) colour dogs (not bitches) quite like to dominate anything, so do need a firm hand.

We’ve just added a re-home working Springer too now, but also gained an acre of garden 🙂

Working Cocker

Working Springer

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks b r lovely pics, feeding wise how much/often are you feeding yours? This one is a Black and Tan bitch and sounds quite chilled for a working cocker. Very affecionate by all accounts loves to be loved was how they put it. Plus it’s used to small children same age as ours and plays fetch with them until its had enough and then takes itself off to have a bit of space apparently. We are going to make sure she has her own area in the house and will teach our ,little one not to pester her in that space. Any thoughts with that idea are welcome too, we’re open to learning as much as possible

br
    Free Member

Ours is fed twice a day, and eats a mug and a half each meal. We use a dried mix:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/arkwrights-complete-chicken_1_164919.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA%20%E2%94%82%20Pets&utm_content=IpNP0EK0_pcrid_23594622601_

And yes, any dog needs its own space. They are very loving dogs, and not sure how you will keep her, but ours lived outside when we where not there:

Plus they love socks…

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks b r that’s all good info. What is the difference between dried food and non dried food, apart form the obvious, how does it affect the dog? I think to start with she will live in the house because that’s what she is used to but that may change as time goes on. I have always thought I’d keep a dog outside but I know this one has been left indoors all day usually on her own so might be a bit harsh chucking her outside straight away especially with the weather as it is!! As I’ve said most of the time she will be out with me at work which outdoors the whole time, or if she stays at home my wife and little one will be around a lot. She isn’t speyed at the moment but I think it might be a good idea to have her done, do you have any experience of this? Some of my clients have dog dogs so when she comes into season I would have to leave her at home plus next door have 3 dog dogs too. Not sure it’s a risk I want to take really…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about working cockers’ is closed to new replies.