• This topic has 63 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by typer.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • talk to me about woodburners
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Is there any downside getting a multi fuel stove over a pure wood burning stove?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just had a look, the 125 is 648 wide

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

800 wide 🙂 can be floor standing or plinth

bearnecessities

I did a bit of research into just exactly what you’re after, by which I mean a horrific amount of research and procrastination and narrowed it down to:

Dartmoor W5 – nice looking jobs. (about £1k)
    ESSE 100SE- really nice looking jobs but a bit (but the baffle plates are shockingly pants – I think they may have sorted this now). You can ring up and speak straight to the broad accented makers, which was pretty useful. (about £1k again)
    Contura i5 – The whole thing is just fab. (About £1400)

I settled on something different mind you 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The fireplace in the 2nd pic is very similar in size to mine, although I think mine is taller and possibly a tad deeper, which is why I need to find the right model.

neilnevill
    Free Member

alexx, no not really. the multifuel ones will have a grate above the primary air inlet as coal needs air from below, wood prefers air from above. so the pure wood burners can have the grate removed and this does make the firebox a bit taller so there is that advantage/disadvantage but its countered by when the multifuel grate is in place, the ash pan sits beneath so de-ashing is easy. with the wood grate sate at the bottom of the stove you need to shovel the ash out instead.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and muddydwarf, as an example of what a stove will do to vent a room and prevent condensation, it was a wet rainy day in london yesterday and I put 6 to 8 litres of water through a wall paper stripper in the same room as the stove, stove on, absolutely zero condensation on the windows or anywhere else. It should help with any problems you have.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cheers Neil, the end wall is a solid wall (1890’s build) and gets very cold in winter. Combine that with a semi built up fireplace with alcoves that set back to the end wall & I get very cold, localised pockets in the alcoves where moisture settles. Sometimes it can look like water is running down the wall in there. Mould has been a problem too & I’m fed up fighting it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

re condensation, have you looked at that positive air (Nuaire Drimaster) thread? people saying they’ve made a big diff in their damp houses (funkydunc?) seems like they are not overly expensive and reasonably easy to install.

One option with your fireplace might be to offset the stove and have a woodstore next to it ie fill the void or have wood stores either side. Or, many stoves have option of a woodstore/ plinth underneath (Esse 100 does) which will help fill the void and raise the stove a bit to fill the void a bit more.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Woodstore is something we are looking into, I’m thinking one below the fire.

timber

When we did ours we were looking for maximum firebox size for 5kW (process a lot of firewood and fed up of stoves that won’t take decent sized logs), looked at the Dartmoor and Esse mentioned above, but went for a Burley due to efficiency and firebox capacity.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Which Burley model did you go for, and how much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

djflexure – Member
    Use these – been great
    Tip: I drop the bag to split them in two or three – a complete log burns very hot
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO #

Are you still using kindling for those? How many logs would you use to fire up for an evening?
    Yes you still need kindling – not a huge amount. A log lasts about an hour. Probably burn 3 in a night. Still have a few bags left from the pallet that I had delivered last winter.

That sounds ok, about £2 worth of fuel in an evening then, might get some once my 4-5m3 logs stache runs out!

timber

Burley Hollywell, can’t remember how much, think they are around £500, our fitter did a good deal on one, better than the shop showroom price where we initially saw it and recommended the fitter as he could buy it from them at trade. Was a couple of years ago, so my price may be out.
    Slightly acquired look with the tubes/cover, but we like it and very used to it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Woodstore is something we are looking into, I’m thinking one below the fire.

It’s all personal opinion but if I were doing that ie raising fireplace floor off floor level, it would have to be with a stove without legs ie a box. Stovax do some lovely ones riva, view, vision, vogue.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Saltire ST2, it’s a belting bargain of a stove(search for reviews).

iolo
    Free Member

I love my kachelofen.
    They are everywhere in Austria but I’ve not come across any in the uk.

I’m even happier now I found a farmer who delivers cut, split and dried oak to my door for 37 euro a cubic meter.

roblane65
    Free Member

Not enough pictures of wood burners !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Captain Nemo says he wants the controls for the Nautilus back

jonny-m
    Free Member

Here’s mine, view from the sofa…
    It’s a Aga Little Wenlock. Had it a year now, love it.
    Plenty to heat our 12×12 living room

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Captain Nemo says he wants the controls for the Nautilus back

Quality! 😆

typer
    Free Member

We’ve got an Esse 125, it’s pretty wide and you can get some hefty logs in there. It throws out a fair bit of heat and if we leave the doors of the living room open can comfortably heat the majority of the house.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a Hunter slimline 5 arriving tomorrow, then to book the fitting.

typer
    Free Member

I have a Hunter slimline 5 arriving tomorrow, then to book the fitting.

Nice one, fingers crossed you get it fitted sooner rather than later 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about woodburners’ is closed to new replies.