Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • talk to me about Wilier road bikes
  • rbrstr
    Free Member

I want one so bad, i think they are stunning. but the more i look at them in the shops i am wondering if the quality is all that? the campag stuff looks a bit nasty in comparison to shimano, and there are a lot of second hand wiliers on ebay.
    anyone own one that can venture an opinion? its either the lavaredo or the izoard i want

cheers
    🙂

Joe

There are lots of second hand ones because rich people go into chains like Cycle Surgery, buy the wrong size, buy something they don’t need or find out they are too fat.

The campag stuff looks cheaper, because the cheaper Wiliers use cheap end Campag groupsets because the frames are expensive. If you bought an expensive one the group set would like blinging.

The bikes are quite expensive because they are marketed as a premium Italian brand.

I’d rather buy a BMC, but I have poor taste.
    There is nothing wrong with Wilier and would happily buy one. ATB who do the UK warrentee and service for them are excellent to deal with.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Izoard (the 2011 has been down spec’d) and really like it. I nearly let the Campag put me off, but now that I’m used to it I’m glad I didn’t, it’s got a real solid feel to it (although the shifting isn’t as silky smooth as Shimano).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think they look a bit crap and Im sure there are better bikes out there from Specialized/Trek/Cannondale/Canyon etc

winterfold
    Free Member

The post above is utter balls. Even by the low standards of road bike advice on here.

If you want an Italian bike, get an Italian bike, or you will be disapponted that you bought mass market tat.

Campag is a much better bet than Shimano in the long run as it needs far less maintenance.

But… Wiliers have been down specced, frames are still great and finish is lovely, but make sure you get one with an UltraTorque bottom bracket as it is just so much better than the cheapo/Shim.

My bet on why lots of them are getting sold is the front end is a bit low and racy for Sportive riders who should be on Specialized Roubaix bathchairs and not allowed to taint Italian bikes with their lardy backsides and poor road manners.

RealMan
    Free Member

If you do get a willier, make it one of the pricier ones, or you’re just paying extra for the same frame as a ribble.

finbar
    Free Member

Mmm, Italian carbon…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Campag is a much better bet than Shimano in the long run as it needs far less maintenance.

really?

even if that is the case it’s irrelevant if you don’t get on with the shape of the hoods or the thumb lever placement

DaRC_L

If you get a more expensive Wilier than your mate…

are you just Wilier waggling 😆 igmc

riders who should be on Specialized RoubaixAllez bathchairs and not allowed to taint Italian bikes with their lardy backsides and poor road manners.

that’ll be me then but it doesn’t half make my summer commute comfortable

sefton
    Free Member

planet x 😆 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

If we’re talking Centaur and up, give me Campag anyday – far classier looking than any SRAM or Shimano group…

oldgit
    Free Member

Carbon and aluminium those two?
    I also think cheap Campag does look cheap. And you need to see what you get on with. I started when Campag was king, but when I went to STI/Ergo I couldn’t get on with Campag and have been Shimano ever since. Bloody beautifull though…campag that is.

I know only two Wilier owners, and both use them for ‘sports’ use. Neither have ever complained about anything.

Noticably absent from the amateur race circuits down here though?

Look beyond the paint.

pinches
    Free Member

i used to have one of those wiliers above (izoard athena 11) and it was pretty good. i’d have put lighter wheels on it eventually, but it was a good bike all the same.

You do pay a slight premium for the italian branding though.

GJP
    Free Member

Geometry and fit first. If they are right fit for you then consider one, if not then don’t even bother. This goes will all brands as far as road bikes are concerned.

I like the look of them, but the geometry/sizes do not suit me at all so no to Willer for me. On the other hand Colnago do fit me, so if i had the money and I wanted an Italian bike then I would have to go down that route.

Teapot
    Free Member

I am on my 3rd Wilier and think they are great. There is something about the way they ride; lively, stiff yet very comfortable.

I now have a Cento Uno (used to have a Thor then an Izoard)although I’ve built it with Shimano…

brooess
    Free Member

As recommended above, go into a shop and ride some different brands and then decide. I don’t know if you’re new to road riding (on a road bike) so apologies if this comes across as patronising but road bike fit and comfort is waaay more important than MTB.
    MTB you stand and move around the bike constantly + stop to look at the view, wait for your mates, get your breath back, wallow in the stokedness of the gnarr you just ‘had’ etc
    Road bike, you get on and pedal for 2,3,4,5 hours with very few stops. Once in a while you might stand but overall you stay in one position, powering away for a long time.
    My thoughts on why there are so many: Cycle Surgery stock them and they’ve massively expanded in the last 2-3 years (10 years ago I think they had 3 shops, all in central London, a proper LBS chain). Road riding is where the growth in cycling is coming from. New-to-cycling customer walks into posh-looking bike shop and says I’ll have a road bike please. Next thing you know, Wilier sales have gone up…

Merak

Its pronounced Vil-ier btw. I have a 2010 Izoard, my 2nd its stiff as a board and light too. The finish is stunning. Im a Shimano man too.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The higher end stuff looks lovely, but i was following a fella on a lavaredo tonight and the finish looked a little ropey (if you’re fussy about welds and stuff), he seemed happy, and quick enough with it though.

Had a look at a Gran Turismo that came into bikelab the other week and that was a belter, similar quality finish as the cento/superleggera.

If i had £1500 to spend on something Italian at the moment it would probably be a De Rosa Milanino – just stunning looking alu frame.

sambob
    Free Member

FWIW they are very nice frames. My LBS has the new Gran turismo and it’s absolutely stunning. The Bike Factory in Whaley Bridge if you’re near here or visit the Peak district any time soon.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Taunton, my LBS (Ralph Colman Cycles) has a Wilier demo day tomorrow (Saturday). I quite fancy trying a Cento Uno 😉

Crell
    Free Member

Bought a Mortirolo 4 years ago with the Veloce groupset. It’s been brilliant and can’t fault ATB Sales either. Yes you pay more for the brand.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The new Zero 7.

Want!! 😐

ransos
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Mortirolo. The frame looks stunning, is pretty light and seems to have a perfect balance of comfort and stiffness. It’s a fairly racy riding position though, so if you’re after a sportive type setup then you should look elsewhere.

The main complaint in the reviews was that some of the components are a little low spec when compared to offerings from bigger brands. That’s the downside of buying a bike from a smaller company.
    But I’d rather it that way round – you can always upgrade as stuff wears out.

I bought the frame only, and built it up with Ultegra and handbuilt wheels. I did consider Campag (being an Italian frame) but Shimano is so much nicer.

winterfold
    Free Member

I’m not going to get into a Shim vs Campag debate as I run both and can see the strengths and weaknesses of each objectively.

This is more a point of principle – even if your Wilier is a modern one ‘assembled in Italy’ it nevertheless is an Italian bike and therefore must have Campag.

It’s the law.

All the posters here who have nice sexy racy Wiliers with Shim on feel dirty – and deep down they know it 😈

(EDIT those Dura-Ace wheels would be acceptable with the right cassette)

edhornby

thing is, the italian carbon bikes are made in factories in china/taiwan, some googling will tell you the frame codes from deng fu that the models (look on weightweenies) correspond to, get one from ebay in whatever colours you want, and build it yourself to the spec you crave

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

All the posters here who have nice sexy racy Wiliers with Shim on feel dirty – and deep down they know it

This is true.

thing is, the italian carbon bikes are made in factories in china/taiwan

So is this. Still, I have a Kona, so I don’t know nuffink.

MrSmith
    Free Member

This is more a point of principle – even if your Wilier is a modern one ‘assembled in Italy’ it nevertheless is an Italian bike and therefore must have Campag.

It’s the law.

no it isn’t. plenty of Italian bikes have shimano
    i have dura-ace on my pegoretti (frame made in Italy not taiwan or ‘assembled’ in italy)
    a lot of campag is made in Romania.

finbar
    Free Member

thing is, the italian carbon bikes are made in factories in china/taiwan, some googling will tell you the frame codes from deng fu that the models (look on weightweenies) correspond to, get one from ebay in whatever colours you want, and build it yourself to the spec you crave

The lower ends of the ranges are (De Rosa R848 & Pinarello Prince spring to mind), but the top of the range stuff – like the King RS 3 i posted a pic of – are still unique to the brands.

rbrstr
    Free Member

Well, i decided in the end the quality was too crappy to justify paying 1500 quid, campag xenon on a 1500 quid bike? please. I bought a Colnago with full ultegra and its just stunning.

Thanks for all your responses, it helped me make the right decision
    🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Blimey, that was a sudden end to an interesting debate.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘talk to me about Wilier road bikes’ is closed to new replies.