Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about wide rims
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay so whats with all the wide rim stuff, what are the advantages etc?

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, this is my take on it:

1) a wider rim helps stop a tyre rolling sideways off the rim at low pressures.

2) a wider rim ‘opens’ the tyre just a bit wider, adding a bit of volume.

3) unless you’re running skinny 17mm rims, and you’re desperate to run massive tyres at low pressures, then i wouldn’t let it keep you awake at night.

but i’m a know-nothing idiot.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I’m currently running Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.35 on WTB Laserdisc trail 29 with an internal width of 21mm i was just curious.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and now, to argue with myself for a bit:

it’s an interesting idea though – as a wider rim boosts the tyre volume a bit, you benefit from a bigger tyre, without the weight penalty.

option A) narrow rim + big tyre

option B) wider rim + smaller tyre

option A vs option B probably weigh something similar, but option B should be a bit more stable. and of course, giving you…

option C) an even bigger tyre!

which is nice.

nedrapier

all of wot ahwiles said!

gravity-slave
    Free Member
    johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I changed from En521s with a 21mm internal over to some WTB frequency i25s with a 25mm internal about 6 months ago. I did it for tubeless, weight and width reasons. Conveniently my brother runs the en521s with the same Hans Dampf tyres so I can put them side by side and you can definitely see that the i25 gives a fatter, rounder profile. Despite this they feel pretty much the same to me in terms of ride.

russianbob
    Free Member

I have EX729 on my Heckler. Ride trail stuff mostly, with a bit of longer cross country sometimes. I’ve had them on for 5 years and proper smashed them, I have little in the way of finesse and on the portly side of portly. Heavy, but bomb proof.

russianbob
    Free Member

oops

jonnyrockymountain

Really really liking my American Classic wide lightening

scruff9252

I ran 2.1 speed kings on mavic 717’s which felt quite squirmy if pressure got too low & I got quite a few pinch flats.

Now running 30mm wide wtb rims with 2.3 barons at same pressure (as gauged by squeeze test).

Feels far more secure and not got a pinch flat in ages. Completely unscientific due to multiple variables but I’m happy and can’t see myself going back to narrow rims.

bigh
    Free Member

Along with jonny rocky mountain I’m loving my Am classic wide lightening. So much in fact that I may have difficulty in the future buying wheels with narrower rims. Tyre choice is an issue, for instance I did not like rubber queens on wide rims, but maxxis are perfect.

Edit. That’s interesting scruff, maybe conti tyres are too soft for low pressure on wide rims, as I felt exactly the same.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay so wide rims are good, what are the choices?

cozz
    Free Member

100mm clown shoes

go big or go home

moshimonster
    Free Member

Okay so wide rims are good, what are the choices?

Roval Traverse Fatties

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about wide rims’ is closed to new replies.