Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Talk to me about Whippets
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

What are they like as a first dog. I’ve read everything from them being great with kids (we have two boys aged 7 & 10) or being batshit mental. Any ideas?

Edit: wrong forum, but there is an on one Whippet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome dogs. Chakaping to the forum.

clipper247
    Free Member

Friend of mine has 4 – they are a lot more work than my Greyhounds, need a lot more exercise, but if I wanted a smaller dog I’d have one in a heartbeat – such characters

Andyhilton
    Free Member

They are ace. We have one and a lurcher. They sleep about 16-18 hrs a day.

chilled76
    Free Member

Got an 18.5″ one. Fastest bike I’ve ever owned.

Considering chipping it in for a Trek Superfly though.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

They are ace. We have one and a lurcher. They sleep about 16-18 hrs a day.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

such characters

Is this code for being mental?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tha’ll be needing flat cap.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Obviously I’ll need to get used to the flat cap jokes

🙂

kormoran
    Free Member

useless without pics etc….. 😀

the-muffin-man

Obviously I’ll need to get used to the flat cap jokes

And…

Whippet?

No, I bought it!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

😀

So other than having the urine extracted. Are there any other reasons to avoid?

Sandwich

They get cold easily. You’ll need to be happy with your dog in a coat for 5 or 6 months of the year.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bobby Chariot has two. Although I think his Ex-wife has them while he’s living in his Jag.

LeeW

None at all, had a couple of whipoet crosses. Small lurched type dogs and they were great. Trying to convince the other half to look at one as our next dog but she prefers stupid breeds. (She had two Bassets when we met, the healthy one died last year after a case of bloat).

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You’ll need to be happy with your dog in a coat for 5 or 6 months of the year.

Probably a selling point to Mrsosoxo

anagallis_arvensis

Not had one myself but our lurcher has a big dose of whippet and friends have one my mum has a whilpet bedlington cross. They afe very calm and good natured, good with kids but not really rough and tumble dogs. World champion sleepers. Dont need massive amounts of exercise but do need off lead runs twice a day. Not the brightest but can be trained to do the basics fine. If they see it and it runs away it will be chased though. Generally good with other dogs but can be a bit timid unless they have space to run in which case they will run rings round other dogs for fun. Thin skinned and very little fur so get cold and burst easily.
    My mums whippet Bedlington is a lovely dog, great with my son but mad as a basket of frogs.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

We got ours 5 years ago – first dog either of us has ever had – ours sleeps a lot – more like a cat in many respects. She will do big walks (10 miles plus) but doesn’t seem to need to. 2 or 3 short bursts a day and she seems happy. Very loyal to us and the family – can be rather aloof with strangers/strange dogs. Great with the kids and 1 of our cats but does chase the other cat – never quite worked out why the difference.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers all.

fettlin

Whippets are amazing! We have one (I’ll post a pic when I get back home) and the outlaws got a rescue whippet on the strength of ours!

As with all dogs, each one is different.
    Ours has an hours run off the lead each day during the week and then longer fri/sat/sun. He then spends the rest of the day asleep!
    Coats, if you need one on why shouldn’t the dog!? In all seriousness, he’s not bad with the cold as long as he’s moving, but refuses to budge if it’s raining and he doesn’t have a coat on (as do i).
    Toby loves kids, has had little ones hanging off his tail walking round the garden! He doesn’t mind rough and tumble, but goes back to his bed when he’s had enough.

I didn’t want a dog, until we got him 6 years ago, now I want another whippet!
    The only downside is he’s a thief! Anything remotely tasty and he thinks it’s rightfully his 😀

lion
    Free Member

We have a one and as has been said already, great dogs, doesn’t need a mega amount of exercise and is happy to laze around the house most of the day.
    Ours hates the cold and rain so invest in a good coat, we got an equafleece which are designed with sighthounds lurchers whippets etc in mind.
    Also loves comforts so will prefer to laze on the couch rather than his bed.
    They are food thiefs too and would eat and eat till their sick if allowed.
    Make sure that there is somewhere flat and open for them to run properly, we take ours out into the hills regularly but due to their spindly/delicate nature they are more suited to fields and flat open spaces where they can run full tilt!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Would definitely second an Equafleece – most other coats we tried would come undone when she ran.

Ours is a bit weird with food – doesn’t wake up hungry but then seems to eat all in one go later on especially after any exercise and often before bedtime. As others have said is pretty bad for stealing food.

Can’t see things that are straight in front of her but will spot squirrels/rabbits/birds/hares at a distance.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’d echo the thief comments. Sneaky little buggers.

kormoran
    Free Member

Whippets are ace, science fact

Personally I would go for a whippet lurcher, ideally with a bit of collie for stamina on bike and hill days. Lots about on the greyhound rescue sites

They do tend to have thin coats – simple layer I believe – so may not like the cold. Also they do like to pick a pocket or too, not uncommon for a lot of lurchers either IME

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Thanks for the help so far.

I suppose the other consideration to have is, rescue or a pup?

The rescue ones I’ve found online seem to all be nervous/scared of kids

kormoran
    Free Member

Friend of mine took a rescue whippet lurcher, initially she was very nervous and quite timid but she has progressively relaxed and is now super happy and chilled and very sociable. My own ancient lurcher is 15 and still doesn’t really like children if they are pokey, but loves to sit and snuggle up if they don’t hassle her.

A lot of rescue whippets/ lurchers may not have had a great time or been exposed to children so there’s a transition to go through. I don’t think they are ever going to be a pushover labrador though!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Whippets’ is closed to new replies.