Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Talk to me about wheel truing stands
  • RustyMac

So I have started to build my first set of wheels using the wheel pro guide and I need wheel truing stand. I have tried to build the one in the guide however i don’t have the tools to make it properly.

I have kind of narrowed my search to a second hand Park TS2 like this one on crc
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50280

or the minoura wheel truing kit like ths one on cycle sport UK
    http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1054

now the park one is going to cost a bit more and does not include the dishing tool like the minoura one, and realistically this stand is only going to be used every now and then.

Is the minoura one any good?
    Is it likely to stand up to building the odd set of wheels and keeping my wheel true?
    Is the park one way overkill for my use?

toys19
    Free Member

You should check in your shed or under your bed, might have a wheel trueing stand lying around somewhere, normally found at the front or back of your bike. The forks or rear triangle! Just get some chinagraph pencils, (or eye liner) spin the wheels and mark the high spots.

I have built about 40 wheels since 1984 (admittedly that was about 37 bmx wheels between 84-88) and never needed a truing stand. All the ones I have ever seen are shite apart from that park one, and some even more flash ones that cost X. So I wonder if its worth spending 250 unless you do loads of wheels. If you dont spend at least 250 its not worth buying. As the cheap ones are floppy and useless.

Although it might be desire on your part, in which case go for it.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I own a Tacx T3175 Exact Wheel Truing Stand, which comes in around the £55 – £60 mark.

I’ve used it to true around 15 wheels (not all my own – some for mates) to date & found it fits the bill well (I’ve had it for about a year now).

I have attempted one wheel build with it, but ended up having to get my LBS to finish it off (probably a measure of my skill level)

I like the fact that the stand is easily portably (fix to any bench via the G-Clamp).

When I was looking I considered a slightly cheaper Park one (there is one for around £95), but the price/portability of the Tacx one sealed it for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toys19
    Free Member

cycl1ngjb. This isn’t meant to be criticism or urine taking, I am genuinely amazed that you can build/true anything with that stand, chapeau. That’s exactly the type of stand I was recommending the OP avoid. My wheels would resemble crinkle cut crisps if I used that..

RustyMac

Park TS2 second hand is gonna come in at £150ish, i didn’t like the idea of having to swap the wheel over on the chepar park one so ruled it out. I had a look a the trax one but thought it looked a bit wobbly.

I have used my bike previously for wheel truing but would prefer a stand rather than dragging my manky bike into the flat each time i want to build/true a wheel

TrevorB

I used the Minoura stand for my initial building. It’s certainly good enough to learn with, and for the long term if you don’t build loads of wheels.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

toys19 – I’ve only tried building one wheel so far & had to get it finished by my LBS – I did ask how well I’d done & they said they didn’t need to make too many adjustments. I don’t plan on building any further wheels myself, I just happened to have two wheels, one with a knackered rim & another with a knackered hub & decided to make one wheel out of two.

In terms of the truing I’ve done with the stand, whilst the wheels I’ve done probably aren’t as true as the day they were built (after all I am not a pro, nor have I done any formal training or qualifications), but they have been good enough for me 🙂 & have held true when riding in the Alps.

I’m sure the Park stand is a great bit of kit, I’m just very happy with the one I bought – if I was planning on building loads, then sure I’d probably go for a more precision piece of kit.

toys19
    Free Member

cycl1ngjb. I am genuinely impressed. They say a bad workman blames his tools, I defo couldn’t build a wheel on a stand like that. 😥

mtbfix

You’ll only buy a wheel jig once so spend the money if you can afford it. I have a folding jig and each time I build a wheel it seems to have found a different centre point. I’ve used the Park jobs and they were a pleasure.

takisawa2

I built a wheel thats still tight & true on one of them Tacx jigs. Theres nothing wrong with them. Stop being a snob. 😉

I built the my last 29er wheel in a set of maxle Rebas held in a workstand. It was actually easier than faffing around with a dishing tool. Its an expensive workstand though if you dont already have the forks & a work stand. 😀

rootes1

i used a pair of old forks clamped in a workmate and zips ties as the indicators..

radial trueness indicator

works fine, though did treat myself to a Unior stand – the wheels you build will be no better but easier to use.. it sits on a table

£64.14

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m2b0s238p3670/UNIOR_Wheel_Truing_Stand

toys19
    Free Member

I built a wheel thats still tight & true on one of them Tacx jigs. Theres nothing wrong with them. Stop being a snob.

😀

Actually I was being modest..

RustyMac

rootes1

your original stand is class but something i can work on in my flat is kind of important. I’m guessing the process of truing and tensioning the wheels is gonna take a little time and sitting outside to do it in Aberdeen isn’t the most apealing prospect.

RustyMac

Bump for the morning crowd,

Should I go for the expensive Park Stand? the middle of the road Minoura or the more basic Unior stand in conjuntion with the Wheel Pro tools for truing it up?

Del

i have one of those tacx stands and it’s fine. i’ve built a few wheels on it, and have trued a few too. to be fair, if you were building wheels all day every day, it’d drive you up the wall, but for something that comes off the shelf once every few months for an hour or so, it’s more than adequate. the conveneance of being able to fix it to a table in the lounge, at a comfortable position, with a cup of tea at hand, in the warm, with the stereo on in the background, is well worth it. it’ll serve me well for years.
    you really don’t need anything sphophisticated to build a true wheel. patience and a methodical approach is what is really required.

BruceM
    Free Member

I have recently bought a Park Tools TS2.2. I used it to build my second set of wheels and have plans for more in the near future. Its much more pleasent than using a bike however it is no skills compensator, also to use it on a table you need a base for the stand, either buy Parks at like (£40-60) own or make your own, then you could also buy a calibration tool for the stand… it starts to get ridiculously expensive.

splugy
    Free Member

like roots1, I made me a DIY jig, I used an old bike on top of my garden table with a metal ruler taped across the bottom, plus a couple of jubilee clip holding a bent nail.

this built a perfectly true wheel for my vintage triumph bike, complicated further as I was fitting a disc hub, so spokes of different length and one side of the hub had oval eye holes so the spokes fell out all the time as the wheel was being laced up. Also 50% of my spoke washers had rusted so I had to make them by stamping normal washers into shape on another jig I made . Before I started I wished I could get hold of a proper jig but being the Saturday before the London to Brighton BHF ride and a commitment to ride this on my triumph I run out of time. Glad I saved my self the money and am looking forward to building the rear wheel with sturmey archer gears

sheffield43
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tacx one and it’s been fine so far (1 rim swap plus 4 or 5 wheel trues). I can always sell it on eBay if I’m ever rich enough to get a £200 one, which no doubt would be significantly superior.

RustyMac

In the end i went for the second hand Park TS-2 stand which i got for £135 including the tilting base. I figured for that price i had nothing to loose as i’d be able to sell it on in the future if i don’t get on with it.

I know before you all say it i am a tart.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about wheel truing stands’ is closed to new replies.