Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Talk to me about travel money
  • PrinceJohn

With an impending trip to Iceland next week I need some cash, however, just looked at ordering it online & the soonest I can collect locally would be Monday on the same day as my early morning flight, which needless to say is cutting things too fine. So do people still get cash before holidays or do we now live in a world where I can just withdraw what I need & use my cards as I do in the UK?

(Been a while since I’ve ventured out of the UK!)

anagallis_arvensis

Halifax clarity card

si77

You’ve probably left it too late to apply for a clarity card now.

You’ll be able to use you current card in most ATMs, but you might want to check what fees your bank charges for foreign transactions/cash withdrawals.

5lab

you’ll get bummed whatever you do going to iceland; The pound has lost getting on for 1/3 of its value compared to them over the last year

(I know this as I’m heading there in a month). I’d just get a (large) lump of cash out on arrival in one go on your debit card, thus minimising fees

twisty

Take £s and exchange when you get to Iceland, the rate is slightly better there. When i was there a couple of years ago the airport had good rates, icelanders tend to be straightforward no BS type people.

br
    Free Member

I’d just get £100 worth at the airport, and then use my credit card for everything else.

Obviously I’m not #moneysavingexpert, but cba messing around and just accept the additional cost (worse case 5%?) is part of the cost of going on holiday.

legend
    Free Member

b r – Member

I’d just get £100 worth at the airport, and then use my credit card for everything else.

In Iceland? Are you buying a light snack?

twisty

The card exchange rate won’t be as good as the Iceland money changer, plus most card will have an additional foreign transaction charge too. Not a problem if you are a moneybags but to most people ~5% of holiday spending money is a significant sum.

br
    Free Member

~5% of holiday spending money is a significant sum.

No, it’s 5% of what you’ll spend on holiday – so spend £1000 while there and it’s £50 extra, but no risk of either carrying large amounts of cash or having your debit card (ie bank account) frauded.

In Iceland? Are you buying a light snack?

Mate, that’s what credit cards are for – and having worked in all the Nordic countries I’m well aware of the costs 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

im in angola atm …. any kind of card is 100% the worst way to take money…..

exchange rate is 140quanza to the dollar…..

im getting 540 quanza to the dollar…..

so cards not always best – upsides and downsides dependin on where you go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about travel money’ is closed to new replies.