Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Talk to me about the Kielder 100
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

Going to focus on going long next year after some great events this year.

WHo here has done it, whats it like etc etc

Thank you!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Pray it doesn’t rain ….

squiff
    Free Member

Did it last year, weather was shite, it was horrible, only managed 35 miles, am doing the 50 miles instead this year, hopefully weather will be like today

singlecrack
    Free Member

Did it last year also …went through 4 sets of pads…..not kidding ….by the 50 mile cut off ….and packed .
    I would have entered this year but as the weather has been soo wet …..I’ll give it a miss …..will prob be back for next year

Bernaard
    Free Member

One word, Fireroad…………….

Might go again next year though 😳

fizzicist
    Free Member

Brutal event last year. Destroyed my bike and my head.

I finished it in 12h45m and had hypothermia, conjunctivitis and two holes in my arse by the end.

Nearly had a panic attack the first time I got on my bike afterwards. The state I ended up in messed with my head that much.

I’d do it again like a shot – moving house that weekend this year though.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

In good weather its a boring but satisfying grind, in bad weather it is shite BUT I’d do it again and I’m disappointed I can’t go this year

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Can’t do this year, just can’t make the trip work. Got cut off at 50 miles last year and the year before, by 20 mins first time in fairly decent conditions and 8 mins last year in pretty poor conditions.
    I will go back and I will finish it (I will not make the podium, pretty sure of that) but it is a great event. Ended up being me against me, trying to push myself on and on. Good atmosphere on the course and around the sites.
    Do it.
    But do take spare pads, lots…

marvincooper

Did it for the first time last year, loved it despite the conditions, looking forward to this years event, safe in the knowledge that it can’t really be any wetter than last year! If you’ve done loads of miles in the last few months and are used to long, long rides, it shouldn’t be a problem to finish, unless you get bike problems.

Before the race last year I was worried I wouldn’t be fast enough to avoid getting stopped at a cut-off point. So I went off at a fairly decent pace, certainly not leisurely, and managed to be well ahead of the times – I was determined not to get binned! After the last cut-off it was a real relief to know I just had to keep moving and I’d finish.

Some really nice folk taking part and helping at marshal points, just a great event.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I did my first one last year and it made my 3 month old bike look like it was 12 years old by the end 😆
    I went through 4 sets of pads (ended up riding the final bits brakeless) I got cut at the 78 mile point. Had to visit the ambulance dudes to rinse my eyes out as I they were full of mud (glasses were useless).
    I Bloody loved it!!!!!

jota180
    Free Member

Did it in 2010 and missed the 50 mile cut-off by 8 mins, last year [in appalling conditions] I was 40 mins inside the cut-off time but decided to bin it as my brakes were gone and my brain was heading that way.

jonba
    Free Member

Did it in 2010 and 2011. In the dry it is tough but ok, in the wet it was brutal on body and bike – As above I think 2011 K100 85miles marks the lowest I have ever felt on a bike but I feel good having done it*.

It is not that technical and there is a lot of easy fireroad riding. Everything gets hard towards the end as you are exhausted. I didn’t have enough left in either year to really enjoy the descents in the last quarter – besides I was using them to rest. There are some really good sections in there but it is a 100mile ride not a fun action packed blast.

If you are planning training for it then I would sugget you need to get out on your bike for plenty of 7hour+ rides.

You need to get comfortable. Work out if you want bottles or a camelback. I prefered loading up my bike rather than my back. You need clothing that will work in all weathers and is comfortable and doesn’t chaffe. Your bike needs to be in excellent working order because any small fault will be a race ender if it is wet. Food and drink – what can you eat for 10hours + while riding. Gels may be fine for a 3 hour race but not after 10.

*You can get fit enough – but you also need to get motivated and work out what it is that is going to get you to the finish. In 2011 it was as much a mental challenge as a physical one for me.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d already decided not to do this years’ as I’d not been able to sort out a lift. Falling off the back of a transit van while unloading a wardrobe on Saturday has mean’t I’ll not be able to accept any last minute lift offers.

Gutted not to be heading up there for a fourth year.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Doing the Dusky Valleys event instead:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/310438195686445/

readikus
    flimsy
    Free Member

Check out our man Jons race report…

http://www.plushmtb.com/?p=348

c_klein87

I’ve only done it once, was quite naive last year, packed to heavy carrying excess fluids, but not enough clothes, made it to 50mile point in 4 hours, felt like crap, brakes fell apart, lost 1/2hr trying to sort them, felt better towards the end, finished in 10hrs 53mins on a rigid singlespeed. Will do it next year with a better plan of attack, my tip is take advantage of the water and drop points, don’t load yourself down.

it is epic, good memories thinking back, hope its dry for the folk this year

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Squiff – you mean the KIDS ride!! You’ve changed… ha

wonnyj
    Free Member

^^ good write up

” throughout the next few miles I got cramps in my quads and calves, a groin cramp and my left knee was starting to go, I just kept going though, I found 2 electrolyte tablets in my bag, the kind that dissolve in water, and ate them both. This cured the leg cramps but gave me stomach cramps and wind. This was also one of the first times I have used chamois cream on my rides, when you fart into a set of shorts full of chamois cream it does cross your mind whether you have just shat yourself..” 😯

cp

when you fart into a set of shorts full of chamois cream it does cross your mind whether you have just shat yourself.

How much are you putting on??!!

fasthaggis

Pray that it doesn’t rain + 1000
    Not doing it this time.
    Failed last year on my first attempt (bike wore out).
    Very frustrating ,as I was (for me)super fit and really up for it.
    I reached the 2nd last cutoff?( the one with the big Tent and good food) with plenty of time to spare,but on a bike with no working brakes and the worst chain suck in chain sucking history.
    So ,I chucked it,which was hard as rarely fail to finish events.

This was made worse by the fact that I was on a borrowed bike ,and eventually had to spend over £100 (and a lot of time rebuilding it) ,before I could hand it back.
    So, it’s really unfinished business ,and that’s why I will be doing it next year on a Kielder specific bike 🙂

readikus

Forecast is for a DRY DAY with some sunshine!!!

I am really up for it. Will probably be the only tart with white tyres, so feel free to say hi 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Unfortunately the weather fairies around that part of the world pay no heed to forecasts, It dries quite quickly so as long as Friday is dry and – of course – Saturday it’ll be good.

IIRC it was only light showers and drizzle last year, it just never stopped, my memory could be failing me though – or the horror of it has wiped it completely in an attempt to stop the recurring nightmares.

christhetall
    Free Member

IIRC it was only light showers and drizzle last year, it just never stopped, my memory could be failing me though – or the horror of it has wiped it completely in an attempt to stop the recurring nightmares.

It certainly was persistent, ranging from drizzle to driving rain.

The odd thing was that apparently it was quite local. A mate abandoned on the start line – realised he had an insurmountable pedal problem – and drove home. Said it was dry once he’d gone 10 miles and assumed it was the same for us.

So although the forecast is saying dry all day, I believe it when I see it.

Drac

The rain was fairly hard last year and started the night before.

We’ll see what this year brings as Kielder like the rest of Northumberland has microclimates.

readikus

Bit of a harsh one this year – here’s my write up – http://teamcycleaid.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/sokielder-2012.html

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about the Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.