Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about Telescopes
  • MrGrim

Christmas is coming and Mrs Grim really wants a telescope for star gazing, but I know nothing about them.

Can anyone offer advice on good brands, models, features suitable for a beginner? Are there any good books I can buy to accompany it so that she gets the most out of it?

Cheers

bencooper
    Free Member

Get something with a go-to motorised mount – Celestron do a bunch of good intro models.

jonk
    Free Member

Google skymap used to help you FTW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

A Skywatcher 200mm dobsonian and a star chart if you want to learn your way around the sky. It’ll be miles better than a cheap goto scope.
    Go on Stargazerslounge, the question has been asked a billion times.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I found this quite helpful:

Beginners Guide

MrGrim

Thanks for all the replies and good info Ben about motorised mounts. I hadn’t even thought of that.

nmdbasetherevenge – Thanks for the info on the Stargazerslounge forum as well. Will start digging through it.

CountZero

Starwalk and Sky Survey are two pretty much essential apps for smartphone or pad, which will help a lot, as they geolocate, and you can hold them up to the sky to relate what you can see on screen to what’s actually there, as well as being able to tap on an object, and get detailed info about it. Really helps a great deal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Telescopes’ is closed to new replies.