Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about Tae Kwon Do.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Watched a Tae Kwon Do class whilst I was waiting for another class the other evening and it looked like a lot of fun and something that I could take my oldest kid (4yr old) to. Spoke to the instructor who is happy to take kids on at that age (before anyone pipes up that he it too you). Any of you do TKD? What’s it like once you get into it etc?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bunch of uncoordinated, undisciplined thrashing about with your legs and feet, isn’t it?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No, that’s football.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Woppit, What do you do?
    I do a version of Korean karate [tang soo do] which is similar i believe to tkd.
    I wanted to get My son doing an Ma as i thought it would be good for him, a bit of learning and exercise and i could join in to. I planned on just using it for general conditioning and stretching but im getting a bit carried away and now do 2 classes a week and Ju jitsu.
    Have a go and see what you think.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it’s for fitness and discipline, then it’s like any martial art in that the little ones needs in both camps will be satisfied.
    I tried it many years ago and didn’t enjoy the actual art, but did enjoy the training, as I did with karate and ju jitsu.
    If it’s for self defence, I think there is better out there. Ju jitsu for example.

transapp
    Free Member

Yes, I do TKD (ITF style), have done for about 6 years. Now a black belt so in a reasonable position to comment.
    4 is fine to start at TKD as long as there is a dedicated children’s class. My association does something called little PUMA’s which is about 4-6, then juniors then adults. They learn things such as blocks and recognising danger (in particular I like stranger danger) and the use of their voice to get out of threatening situations. All done in a playful, enjoyable environment. All of the youngsters at the clubs I’ve trained at seem to be having a great time.
    As they get older, they’ll progress into more traditional martial arts, teaching them controlled ability (i.e. using at the right time, but doing your absolute best to avoid) and a lot of discipline. Fitness and flexibility are good and if you’re really passionate, your boy will be able to kick himself in his ear quite easily!
    My girl will be starting when she’s old enough without a doubt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Tae Kwon Do.’ is closed to new replies.