Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Talk to me about Strathpuffer 2017
  • Killer
    Free Member

I have a friend who is very keen i join him and do the Strathpuffer event next year with him and we shoudl both be doing it Solo.

I’ve done a couple of 24hr solo rides at Mountain Mayhem many years ago and have done plenty of 24hr team races, (again, many years ago) but i’ve never done Strathpuffer.

Now, its been a while since i did events like this to start with so i’m not sure how easily i can get back into 24hr riding. Also, riding in the Winter with little day light in the snow and ice and cold does not seem quite as appealing as the few sunny years at MM.

But it would certainly be a challenge.

So talk to me….
    Good event to get back into 24hr racing? yes, but start smaller? never touch this forsaken land of cold, wet dank misery where only ice demons live?

epicyclo

It’s been soft weather for the last several years. Warm balmy winds, palm trees waving, Hawaiian music etc etc.

I think they will have the last of this years competitors dug out of the mud soon, so the course will ready to go.

It must be time for a proper ‘Puffer again. Inches thick sheet ice, blizzards, howling winds, trees falling over, and -20ºC at the top.

Perfect for coming back into 24 hour solo riding. All the rest will seem easy afterwards.

richpips
    Free Member

If you’ve got your head round 17 hours of darkness, being wet, muddy and cold then you’ll be fine.

It isn’t like summer events where you can do a few laps then sit around and enjoy the atmosphere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I have said I’ll never do it again. Four times.

It’s tough, and you need to be prepared in terms of mentality, fitness and kit (borrow many lights and take all the cycling gear you own) but it’s amazing. A lot of it is surreal, but it’s very satisfying and enjoyable.

mccett
    Free Member

Did it in 2007 & 2008, wet first time, icy and snowy and windy second time.
    Probably the only 24 hr race I would recommend to do as a solo as I can imagine sitting round for hours on end waiting for your mates is not as pleasurable as it is in summer.
    Great event, decent course that’s not a field and doesn’t attract too many off roadies.
    Hardest part these days seems to be actually getting an entry.
    Good luck if you do get in, it’s very enjoyable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Strathpuffer 2017’ is closed to new replies.