Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Talk to me about SS Hubs
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_reviews.php?cPath=58&products_id=283

Anyone got feedback on superstar hubs, especially the singlespeed one above. I thinks its a sensible route to getting rid of my hated Pro 2 SS Hub, but anything that doesnt require a rebuild every 2 weeks is good to me. Anyone had good or bad things about these? Cheers

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

go for a surly or dmr with a screw on freewheel.

If you don’t like your hope i wouldn’t go for a cheap copy.

drofluf
    Free Member

Surly + White Industries freewheel FTW

charliedontsurf

Get a surly, and a white ind freewheel…. About as dependable as it gets.

I have both in the shop, let me know if you want anything.

C

takisawa2

Just to pile more pressure on… 🙂

IMAG0334 by pten2106, on Flickr

bentudder

Yep – what they all said. Completely reliable. Boringly so. A little expensive if you want to switch ratios and can’t do it by changing the chainring, but that’s it, really.

Happy to take the SS hub off your hands.

james
    Free Member

“hated Pro 2 SS Hub”
    Why so?
    Was thinking about one of these for the 48point pickup speed

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Was looking at a Pro2 SS hub aswell…

mudmonster
    Free Member

My pro 2 singlespeed just keeps going and going. One of the bearings in the freehub disintegrated after a few years of solid use. But apart from that, bombproof.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

“hated Pro 2 SS Hub”
    Why so?
    Was thinking about one of these for the 48point pickup speed

I’ve never had a problem with mine. The one in my salsa has taken a serious beating with all the crap weather and gritty trails. Still going strong.

Just think the surly hub freewheel is a bit nicer and niche.

Andy-R

Another Pro 2 user here – mines been fine over the last three years with lots of use in crappy, shitty conditions.
    I don’t see what’s to hate about it?

simon1975

+1 for screw-on hubs.

But I found that the Surly bearings died pretty quickly compared to hubs with standard bearings. I think they were slightly tapered on my Surly with nuts to take the play out.

So it’s DMR Revolver ftw although the axle seems to be rusting prematurely on LadyAlex’s… The On-one ones were great, but I don’t think they’ve done them for a while.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Theres a thread about my ‘odd’ Pro 2 hub which has non standard issue seals in which like water like ducks. Rebuilding it every 2 weeks at the moment. Its been a nightmare and with Hope being adamant of not being a differing seal in it means I am just sick to the back teeth of it. The Surly is nice, but is a bloody heavy set up. i had a Surly and WI on a tin inbred in the past and worked fine, but on a Ti + carbon SS is not really what I wanted to do. Big nasty bolt on axle ,I dont think i could tighten due to cowled dropouts.

firestarter
    Free Member

After using various ss hubs for years , including surly. I prefer using a geared one now with spacer kit. Cheap cogs, easy to change , good chainline and even carry a spare or different ratio if you want. Meant to be a slightly stronger wheel with wider hub but I’ve never destroyed a wheel on a single speed. Doesn’t look quite so trick maybe is its only downfall 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Like I said, I dont think I could tighten the nuts on the dropots due to the cowl round the dropouts. It is very tight and goes over halfway round the dropout. Currently the Hope hub , I have a pair of M12 or M10 Ti bolts holding it it, socket cap, so is OK. Was looking at Tarty Bikes stuff last night, as they have bolt in hubs with allen bolts. The WI hubs look nice but at a cost.

bentudder

Actually, Mick’s on the money. I’ve got an old Hope XC on my 26″ singlespeed, and just bought a pair of Hope Hoops (Pro 2 Evo hubs – the rear’s the geared job) for the 29er. I can put a reach mech on both bikes, so having the flexibility is important. No problems with the Hope XC. I’ll let you know how the Pro 2 Evo works out.

firestarter
    Free Member

I wish I was on the money mate 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve used a WI Eno for years now, saved my fitting a new BB or a chain device, two or three bearing changes and its been the biz.

ononeorange

I put a Superstar SS hub on my bike 2 or 3 years back and it gets used most weeks, and I’m not exactly a lightweight user. Apart from greasing the pawls after the first use or so (there was no grease in there so it sounded terrible) it’s been great so far.

Ask again in 15 years for a proper opinion…..

Del

the dmr revolver and the on-one are the same IIRC? you can use QR with either of them.
    why don’t you send your hope back to hope and ask them to take a look at it. then you’ll get it resolved once and for all, non?

69er
    Free Member

DMR + WI here. Hub bearings die quite frequently if you ride them submerged but what wouldn’t? The freewheel seems to love it though… (and of course it’s rebuildable) plus you get the best ‘click’ ever.

If you ride in winter you’ll need to do maintenace 😉 . Fact.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Emailed Hope to get a final answer, if none appear, it will be binned and a more ( not difficult really) reliable set up will be bought. Hence the thread to see what peeps recommend.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

If your going to bin it,can i have it,will pay postage…Need one for a project.. 😀

orangeboy
    Free Member

My single speed is not my main ride but built it years ago
    Surly hub plus wi free wheel just keeps working

tazzymtb

got goldtec pro SS hubs on my main singlespeeds, with the ceramic bearings and optional Ti carrier they are lovely, pimpy light.

For going for ever whilst looking lush then my woods hub with WI freewheel is fab but weighs half a ton.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Paul Components WORD hub, anyone?

This is mine, with a White Industries freewheel.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about SS Hubs’ is closed to new replies.