Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Talk to me about specialized enduros
  • steveh

I’m thinking of trying a 2010 enduro in place of my current marin attack trail. Mainly as I’ve discovered the marin weighs 35lb! I have a dh bike as well so this is for xc use mainly. It’ll be a 2010 comp with most of my bits fitted and the originals sold. So fox 36’s, xt bits, pro 2 wheels etc.

Who’s got one and what do you think of them?

neallyman
    Free Member

Awesome. You won’t be disappointed. Light, slack and generally excellent value for money (i have the ‘base’ model at c. £2k).

If you’re into DH you’ll appreciate the geometry on it… as well as it’s ability to pedal. A couple of weeks back I gave mine it’s first proper outing at innerleithen. Did the xc and then did a few DH runs. The same bike that pedalled me to the top of Minch Moor was a blast down the DH trails in the afternoon. Couldn’t fault it. Buy one, just do it!

charliedontsurf

Efficent bike that will isolate you nicely from the dirt. You will love it for a year of two, amazed by the tech, but then you will realise that it’s actually too easy and not as much fun as a light nimble hardtail. IMHO

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveh

I’ve got a hardtail xc bike as well so I’m not worried about that at all. I change between the bikes as the mood takes me.

JCL
    Free Member

I think the Orange Alpine 160 would have similar performance but IMO it looks like a bag of arse. Every other 160mm bike is too steep so Enduro it is.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

How does the Enduro compare to the Pitch by way of ‘ride experience’ (copyright. every MTB magazine ever), out of interest?

I’m interested in both for my first full-sus.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fun bikes Steve, blag a ride on one, demos going on at KMB and some special reductions on ex demos. If it’s as good as my 2004 it will be awesome much better than that chelsea tractor of a marin your riding 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

How does the Enduro compare to the Pitch by way of ‘ride experience’ (copyright. every MTB magazine ever), out of interest?

Enduro suspension rate is tuned to be more small bump compliant and it feels it. I’ve ridden both a fair bit and I think the Enduro just filters out much more high frequency stuff. The head angle is about a degree slacker on the Enduro but it still climbs better than the Pitch thanks to the steeper seat angle keeping your weight forward. Enduro frame is quite a bit lighter also, I forget who much but it isn’t a small amount.

In saying that the Pitch is a great bike but if you have the extra $ for the Enduro it’s a no brainer.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

you will realise that it’s actually too easy and not as much fun as a light nimble hardtail. IMHO

+1

My old 2006 Enduro does that too so I usually take the 456 out instead . I’m sure a 2010 Enduro does it too but isn’t as heavy. Lovely looking bike though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I haven’t weighed my 456 since ‘opperation mince-core-rad-sickness’ began, but I suspect it now weighs more than your marin and could probably pull a skid so long it would get girls pregnant just hearing about it!

Heavy slack bikes rock 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

OP: “Talk to me about Specialized Enduros”

STW members: “Buy a hardtail instead”

Brilliant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehh, the only reaons I ride a hardtail is an inability to justify the cost of a full susser to myself. Show me a 120-140mm travel DH bike that doesn’t cost as much as I’d budget for a car and I’d have it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Show me a 120-140mm travel DH bike that doesn’t cost as much as I’d budget for a car and I’d have it.

WTF New short travel DH bikes?

Carpediem
    Free Member

Great bike.I’Ve got a 2010 comp and Im amazed every time I get on it.Test one,and you’ll understand why.Sweet sweet ride.

br
    Free Member

tbh Just park the Marin and buy a cheap 456 frame.

Build it up with the bits from the Marin.

Ride it.

I think there will be too much of a simularity between the Marin and an Enduro for you (previously owned a 2006 S-Works Enduro).

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I rode an Enduro Pro on a test ride evening by a local bike shop. It was a superb bike, the best I have tried. Comfortable riding up hills, and a blast on the way down. Excellent bike.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

That’s not an enduro…This is an enduro…

alcolepone
    Free Member

i ride both a enduro 2008 (with the 150 fork) and a ti456.

both are awesome bikes, but do different things.

if i want to be a better rider i take the 456, if i wanta blast down hills and not worry about line choice i take the enduro.

so, get the enduro, its awesome.

but also get hardcore hardtail 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ive got a 06 enduro and i would’nt swap it for anything! … they truly are all things to all men (and some wimmin) LMAO … HTH 😆

jhw
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2009 Enduro but the 2010 Enduros have a design which is (I think. Engineers?) fundamentally different to all the previous incarnations. They made it slightly heavier in 2010 but the suspension performance became about a million times more responsive. I think they’re now the single best bike in that segment of the market for that price. I rode one for a week earlier this year and was very impressed. The only thing is that the stock wheels and hubs are no good (I’m assuming these remain essentially unchanged from the 2009 ones) so you might need to budget £300 within the next two years after buying – that would be the first and probably the only thing to replace.

rj
    Free Member

Tested the Enduro, better than a Remedy, not as good as an Alpine 160.

longandslow
    Free Member

Steve H,
    Buy my 2003 S-Works enduro fully kitted out for £800

jhw
    Free Member

Tested the Enduro, better than a Remedy, not as good as an Alpine 160.

On what basis? Interested to know

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s not made in a shed in Yarkshire

jhw
    Free Member

The 2003 Enduro, though a classic, is utterly different to every Enduro from 2006-7, and particularly different to the 2010 version which is itself a step beyond the 2006-09 versions. They are designed for different things – you can ride the 2010 down stairs, you would not do so on the 2003, although you might race the 2003 cross country where you could not on the 2010. For this reason I, like many on here I suspect, own both! (a 2002 and a 2009, admittedly not ’03/’10).

The 2003 was a great bike and this might be a great deal but it should not be implied that it is a substitute for the 2010 version just because it shares the same name. It’s a bit like assuming a WWII P-38 Lightning is the same as a modern F-35 Lightning.

Nb I bought a 2002 Enduro in 2003 for £700, from a shop, although admittedly that was one of the lower end ones, not an S-Works.

Xylene
    Free Member

I bought Clubber’s ’04 model and have fallen in love with it. Ticks all my boxes at the moment for me.

Still got 100mm on the front, still haven’t had a chance to check for the spacer in my 318’s and/or put my hand in my pocket for some 140mm forks.

singlespeedstu

They are designed for different things – you can ride the 2010 down stairs, you would not do so on the 2003

That’s got to be up there for al’s BS of the week thread. 😆

You do know that people used to ride down stairs before 2003 don’t you. 😆

My MRS had an 02 Enduro and rode it down a few steps. Good job you weren’t there to tell her she couldn’t.

rj
    Free Member

The Remedy is a really good all day bike, it feels like a big XC bike with extra added get out of trouble free. The Enduro doesn’t climb just as well, but it’s still not bad and it feels a lot more planted and confidence inspiring downhill. The Alpine will climb sort of OK, but is the most fun I’ve had on a bike in pretty much every other situation. It’s terrifyingly quick downhill, which is kind of the point of a big like this, isn’t it?

Radioman

Ive had a couple of Enduros and they have been great bikes. Im just now going to upgrade my superb 2005 SX trail enduro to a Santa Cruz Nomad, really mainly to save weight and get a bit easier climbing.

One slight concern on the 2011 Evo Enduro Coil shock model is that the shock length isnt that big. This is because there is not that much room with the double diamond main frame design. I like coil shocks so if I had an enduro it would mean a much bigger spring than the one i’m going to use on the Nomad. I did look at the “Evo” model but the spring size and shock stroke put me off a bit although I know they are still great bikes. A friend of mine has the 09 Air shock version and really rates it.

Radioman

I had a 2003 Enduro with Z1 bombers! and had a great race in the 2003 Roc D’Azur…I didnt win but I had a brilliant time! That was a real game changing bike in its time..

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 comp and it’s pretty sweet. It has taken a while to tune to my liking (still needs a different shock tune for me) but in the right hands and on the right terrain it’s a rocket…it’s better up hills than my old Heckler, and on the local DH trails in Brighton it begs to go faster and faster.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for Neil

I’ve got a 2004 Enduro and a 2009 Wolf Ridge.

I haven’t ridden many newer FSR designs, however the pedal induced squat on my Enduro saps a lot of power and it sometimes feels a little “dead”, but it’s an excellent and vice free bike. I’ve ridden a 2008 Enduro bike which felt much less squat prone, but I’m not sure how much of that was down to shock tuning or main pivot placing. It also felt a little “dead” to me, but at least I had something to push against when pedalling.

You already know how the Wolf Ridge / Attack Trails feels, personally, I prefer the suspension characteristics on this, but I’d love to borrow a ’10 Enduro for comparative purposes!

PJM1974
    Free Member

They are designed for different things – you can ride the 2010 down stairs, you would not do so on the 2003

Really? That’s news to me and my six year old Enduro. Both of us have ridden plenty of stairs over the years.

The old Enduro was a revolutionary bike in it’s time. Things have moved on, but in reality there’s very little mine won’t do that my Wolf Ridge will.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I keep thinking that putting an RP23 shock would be a good idea to improve the climbing ability of my Enduro Pro from 2004. Anyone done it?

Oh and I ride stairs on my ht, is that wrong too?

jhw
    Free Member

OK maybe not steps specifically but the point is that on a current Enduro you could get well inside of 1:55 on the Black Run Aston Hill whipping the jumps and then ride it straight back to the start (I know because I did so on Saturday). I’m not sure the 2003 Enduro could take that kind of beating although it too is a tough bike.

And the new Enduro is eminently suitable for full on Alps riding (and I don’t mean XC Zermatt to Chamonix at 3mph or mild Les Gets stuff, I mean the most full on descents and then climbing back up). The old one just isn’t tough enough for day in day out beating from those kind of rocks and roots. The suspension performs well enough but the frame itself is a bit on the light side (especially the seatstays and linkage – I broke both and replaced).

Also they’re getting on a bit, for second hand purchases. Mine was very well looked after and not ridden often, and not ridden hard (making the breakages described above more surprising), and the frame finally just failed earlier this year above the BB. I think any that have been ridden more than 20 times a year will be reaching the end of their serviceable life in the next year or two at the latest.

I’m not claiming that’s the end of it, that’s just my experience with them over about ten years or so. In any case this doesn’t touch on the OP’s query about the 2010s, which are unreal! Alpine 160 looks really good

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think any that have been ridden more than 20 times a year will be reaching the end of their serviceable life in the next year or two at the latest.

Sorry, I’m not normally so rude or impertinent, but where do you get your opinions from? That is complete and utter BS.

@BigYin

I’ve thought about it a lot of late. The issue is the old Enudro has a custom length shock (7.67″ IIRC) so an off the shelf Fox unit needs to run a bit extra sag to compensate otherwise the head angle would steepen somewhat.

Mojo did suggest that they could machine down the shock body of an RP3 to fit, but that was some years ago.

andy7t2
    Free Member

on my second one great bike the only problem i’ve found is there easily dented from falls

Konastoner
    Free Member

Bigyinn, an RP2 will be fine and cheaper if you can find one. Don’t know about the 2010 but my 09 with the RP2 is F’kin A!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This was an enduro

27052010240 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

jhw
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m not normally so rude or impertinent, but where do you get your opinions from? That is complete and utter BS.

As said in initial post, from riding the bike under discussion for nearly 8 years, and owning its successor.

Where are YOUR opinions from?

Do you honestly think the older Enduros are built to the same standard as the new ones?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about specialized enduros’ is closed to new replies.