Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Talk to me about short stems please
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Am looking for a 70mm-ish stem for under £45… Any recommendations?

Nukeproof looks good but I'd be interested in hearing what you guys have on your AM bikes.

stooo
    Free Member

Over the years I've used…
    Thomson (superb quality, found that there was a little flex though)
    RaceFace Deus (fish didn't last long but light)
    RaceFace Atlas (lovely, but didn't feel as well finished as the thomson for same £s)
    Sunline AM (bit chunky, but super stiff and strong, seems V well made… currently on the 7" bike)
    Sunline XC (absolutely beautiful – I'd rate it higher than a thomson, which is most peoples standard…. currently on the 4.5" trail/xc bike)

There'e been other cheaper ones… DMR seem really good value and worth a mention. Got a Ritchey WCS on the road bike, but bolts round quite easy).

Seen the Nukeproofs and look like Thomson quality, nice… wouldn't complain if I got a bike with one on.

Reckon Sunline would be my best recommendation these days though.

stooo
    Free Member

RaceFace Deus… *should read… (finish didn't last long, but light)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Sunline

Just put a 65mm V1 AM on my rig. Very nice. Not the lightest but v. burly.

Also look at the Syncros FL for a more traditional look, and lighter than the Sunline.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

+2 for Sunline I've just fitted one on to my Zesty and it's lurvley 😉

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Quite like the Straitline stems.Have one on my DH bike.
    Very good price at the moment from CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19038

PJM1974
    Free Member

Blimey, that Straitline looks quite nice for the money.

How does the wedge system work then?

stooo
    Free Member

Man – forgot to mention the straightline – I have a vertical wedge stem in 50mm that I use on the Bullit sometimes….

the wedge system is quite clever, but it has 3 issues for me…
    1: once it's done up, you need to remove the two tightening bolts and then put on back in a whole and screw it in to "Pull" the wedge back out to enable you to make adjustments or remove the stem… so, you best know what height you want it, and be good at getting your bars straight else it's a bit annoying.
    2: it doesn't really work with spacers above the stem if using the included funny shaped top cap.
    3: the afore mentioned top cap covers the top of your steerer nicely, but leaves a gap under it at the front as the wedge is a good few mm lower than the top cap once tight… so water and crap gets in there.

not the lightest, but lovely looking stem all the same.

IA

I'm a big FSA stem fan. XC 130 or some such on the XC bike, gravity light 60mm on the DH bike.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

PRO FRS are ace for £25 on ebay/wheelies direct

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I've got a 2nd hand 70mm thomson. £30 inc postage. perfect condition.
    Love it, made a very noticeable difference to the 60mm I had on before. (No – I didn't really think it would either so I swapped back and forth a couple of times to check)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I couldn't resist the Straitline for thirty odd rubs and I decided to take the plunge.

It's quite a bit wider than I expected, but it's gifted the front end of my AM bike with ridiculous amounts of stiffness and confidence to the point where it's transformed my bike, which is exactly what I wanted.

Recommended

rudedog
    Free Member

I couldn't resist the Straitline for thirty odd rubs and I decided to take the plunge.

It's quite a bit wider than I expected, but it's gifted the front end of my AM bike with ridiculous amounts of stiffness and confidence to the point where it's transformed my bike, which is exactly what I wanted.

Recommended

can a particular brand of stem really make that much difference? what were you using before?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about short stems please’ is closed to new replies.