Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about sheds
  • pondo

We’re looking at making our first shed purchase, aiming to fill a space about ten foot square, more space if needs be, only holding lawn mower, garden furniture and general inexpensive stuff. What do we need to know, where’s good to buy from? It’s down the far end for now so no electricity – can you put solar panels on them for security lighting and stuff?

Stoner
    Free Member

Just bought & built one from http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/

a 10×8 “penta” workshop style for the Archery club to store some bosses & stuff in.

I cant really recommend them. We were pressed for time and deliverability so had little option. But theyre flimsy as hell and I had to go to the builders merchant to buy some OSB for overboarding the frankly paper-thin floor.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Self Build – save a small fortune and get a better shed.

Not that difficult – lots of videos around if you’ve not done much construction stuff.

towzer

If security is not an issue have a look at plastic sheds (we have a keter – no painting or rot – our shed is in a dark corner and the wood one went mouldy inside as well as outside we just wipe the keter down) also fyi they do plastic click tile bases as well, as if it’s a wood shed make sure you have the base clear of ground and use some sacrifice strips (topped with undefelt/dampcouse between the ground/shed

simon_g

Self Build – save a small fortune and get a better shed.

Not that difficult – lots of videos around if you’ve not done much construction stuff.

Any recommendations? I want to build a 7×3 for down the side of the house and the mail order stuff I’ve helped build before has been terrible.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you can put up a stud wall then it’s not much more skill involved to build a shed. Most simple design is a single pitch roof. Sketch a plan, and make a cutting list, cut accurately, tick off list and mark timber pieces as you go.

Use decking screws, the green phosphate coated ones. You can get nice chunky ones with a Torx head for the main joints, where frames come together.

Put your frames (Floor and Walls) together in a clear space. Get the first one squared and fixed, measuring diagonals is easier than checking each corner. Use this frame as a template to work on top of, you then have at least the first corner set up for you. Build rest of frames, obviously symmetrical frames should be built one on top of the other.

Level the floor, bolt or coach screw the corners, chuck a roof on and then clad with your chosen material, hang door.

Drink beer.

greencat
    Free Member

With sheds, it seems there are rarely bargains on offer. If it is ultra-cheap, there will likely be corners cut.

Metal sheds – often will take ages to assemble.
    Wooden sheds – increase in quality: tongue & groove > overlap > shiplap. Consider also what kind of protection e.g. has it been pressured treated v dipped.
    Plastic – quite a good compromise.

I picked 3 6×8 overlap pressure treated sheds from tesco earlier in the year for £150 each. Good for the price, but I’d have been disappointed if I’d paid the original price for them. I replaced most of the fittings and have reinforced various bits inside. I wouldn’t call them exactly hugely secure though. I have my scrapper bike in one of them, and a few garden bits and pieces – but my decent bike stays in the house!

Hotukdeals can be worth keeping an eye for sheds. Avoid putting one up in high winds as it will be comedy central.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about sheds’ is closed to new replies.