• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk to me about saddles and numbness :(
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Using a charge spoon ti. On longer rides i end up with a pressure feeling and a semi numb sensation that lasts for 24hrs or so. I suppose bruised nerevs maybe?

What saddles relieve pressure on the perenium area?

corroded
    Free Member

It’s not just about saddles, think about your position on the bike. Are you quite stretched out? Try a shorter, higher position so more of your weight is on your butt. (The more delicate parts are further forward.) Also, think about your riding style – do you sit and grind a big gear? I swear by a Spesh Toupe and standing out of the saddle 50 percent of the time…

osteo1
    Free Member

fiddle with saddle position before spending out on another I would suggest… how much the front of the saddle is stickng up usually effects the perineum… if you point it down a touch it relieves the pressure and puts it back to where it should be on your ischial tuberosities towards the back!

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t ignore your shorts. the right ones will transform any old saddle.

I wore a pair of old basic Endura ones this year and within half an hour I was in agony. My racing shorts look after everything. North Wave 53/39 Treasure shorts BTW, but most top road brands use the same pad.

rossi46
    Free Member

Osteo1 is quite right- its all about the angle of the dangle!

ruscle
    Free Member

I used to suffer with numbness until I forked out on a Brooks. They are pricey, a little weighty but worth every penny, sorted out any problems I had and it didn’t take that long to break in. Only downside is wrapping it in plastic bags when ever it rains!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve had this saddle for a year now

and find it helped me.It’s actually the same saddle this guy uses

fubar
    Free Member

A Specialized saddle solved the problem for me (Alias ?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are getting numbnesss then something is not right. You should be taking all the weight on the sit bones – ischeal tuberosities and not on your perineum at all. You are risking permanent damage

lazybike
    Free Member

I can ride 6hrs+ on the road and all is fine, 20mins on the turbo and really numb, I think it may be down to vibration rather than pressure, its a bit left field, but maybe lower the tire pressure, see if it makes any difference.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

TJ i know that hence the question mate – the nose of the saddle needs to be lowered i knwo that so that will be the first port of call. What sort of damage are you talking?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

try an spg (specialized body geometry) saddle? I have one and it works for me. Get measured on the arseometer

Its damage to the nerve that you risk – the symptoms you have become permanent. Also try sitting further back on the saddle – maybe move it forward a touch

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just out of interest TJ – what does that nerve do?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

errrmmmm – stretching my knowledge but IIRC its all about your willy – so you risk a nonfunctioning member

I had the same problem Rob, co-incidentally on a Charge Spoon, although I think it’s happened on other saddles.

I get it when climbing only – probably move forward on the saddle and can’t feel my nob at the end of a climb.

I’ve done 3 things – tipped the nose down one notch, shifted the saddle forward half an inch on the rails and (I think a major contributor) ripped the padding out of my undershorts.

I still experience it slightly, but it’s a lot, lot better.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tj – shit man!

TJ is correct.

F*** me, did I just say that?

😉

mav12
    Free Member

I had same prob with a madison flux swapped to a spesh ronin cured the numbness

nuke

On long rides I suffered numbness with my Charge Spoons.

Messed with saddle angle but didn’t help plus if the saddle was angled down slightly at the front I always found myself slipping down it slightly which would cause back pain over long rides.

Went with saddles with the cut out middle (Selle-Italia XO, Spesh Avatar etc) and problem solved…the XO is a similar price to the Charge Spoon and I’m happy to do 100 mile numb/pain-free rides on it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about saddles and numbness :(’ is closed to new replies.